1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Cannot control Lotus Type 49

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Larryf1951, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Larryf1951

Larryf1951 Hardcore Simmer

I have tried racing the Lotus Type 49 in the Formula category in career mode.
    The race takes place on Monza 1966 - Road Course.
    No matter how I feather the brakes or throttle, I either understeer into a wall, or I oversteer and spin. I cannot manage to drive this thing with any consistency. I have spent several hours trying to get a good setup with no luck. I feel zero confidence driving it.
    Any suggestions or setups?
    This will all probably be moot when the patch hits, but its bugging me:eek:

Maverick944 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Conflicting controls / Cannot map specific controls Jul 21, 2020
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Cannot get paddle shifters to operate as a wheel control Feb 9, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Cannot map the controls on the steelseries stratus duo Dec 20, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Cannot map the controls on my steel series stratus duo Dec 17, 2019
    ACC User Interface Cannot edit controls while in race Sep 13, 2018
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues New Update Steam cannot connect xbox 360 controller May 23, 2018
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Cannot see any steering wheel in controls/preset aera Mar 4, 2017
    XBox One Discussions Cannot turn off factory traction control online Aug 30, 2016
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues How come Kunos cannot get the most basic of controller support, fully supported Jul 14, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds After AI takes over, I cannot regain control Apr 8, 2016
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Cannot change controller setup in 0.22.8 Sep 2, 2014
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Cannot take screen shots of Control settings Jun 16, 2014
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Cannot assign keyboard keys to main controls Jan 31, 2014
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Cannot change controls Dec 4, 2013
    Physics Bugs & Issues P4/5 cannot turn off Traction Control / ABS Nov 23, 2013

3. This thing must be a pain in the backside on the controller. I really only have experience of the Lotus 25 and i find being able to Blip the throttle on down shift sorts that out perfectly as in these cars its so easy to lock up without realising which is then causing the rear tyres to over heating or downshifting too early.
    I know this isn't a tune to help or any advice sorry about that but i sort of feel for yeah :p

Hope you find a way to resolve this issue, personally i'd just ignore the car xD

4. Exage304

Exage304 Gamer

Adjust brake bias slightly to front. Add more diff preload, adjust diff coast for turn in desirability. I had to adjust most values to get a nice crisp feel on it. It should still retain some over-steer characteristics in corners for fast times.

I'm on a G29 though so this isn't 100% transferable... (This is with no assists, like how it was raced back in the day).

paul_wev likes this.
  5. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

I actually dont have problems controlling the 25 and 49, they're not easy but I'm not struggling. I think it's important to realise you dont drive these cars, you put your foot down and hang on for dear life lol.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

HavanaB0B likes this.
  6. HavanaB0B

HavanaB0B Hardcore Simmer

If you're under steering on entry back the corner up a bit. Oversteer well that's what it does, adding some to the power side of the diff might aid traction a little. When I drive the 49 I just try to stay smooth, don't get aggressive with the car and it is pretty predictable. Still a handful but that's why I like it.

paul_wev likes this.
  7. Larryf1951

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I was beginning to think it was just me. Glad to know others have been challenged by this car. I'll keep trying.

paul_wev likes this.
  8. Pleite

Pleite Simracer

Larry, I used to find this car extremely hard to drive as well, but just kept on trying to master it because these old formula cars really appeal to me. So, a while ago, after a good deal of crashes and spinnings, I found out the tips HavanaBOB brings up here and, believe it, they work! It's now one of the cars I treasure most. I'm only curious to see how those 250 Red Pack Maseratis are gonna be... probably even more challenging than the vintage Lotus... but they must be fun! Eager to check that out.

paul_wev likes this.
  9. Traks1

Traks1 Racer

I can tell you from experience that generally, tyre tech and therefore grip, in the years the Lotus 49 was current, was way, way inferior to what one could reasonably expect to have on a half decent normal road car now. Seems Kunos did a fair representation of just how horrible they really were. Not surprised it's a bit of a handful on a controller tbh :). A car that appreciates driving finesse if ever there was one. I'm expecting the 250f, when it drops, to have tyres with properties similar to mahogany, grip wise.

10. Snowman38

Snowman38 Hardcore Simmer

Trying to stay smooth with a controller is just insanity! I've gotten pretty good with throttle control,. But steering a car with a 1/2" stick??? Goodnight!

paul_wev and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  11. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

Get a wheel! The Lotus 49 is an absolute joy with a wheel and an H-pattern shifter :)

I can imagine the 250F will be much, much easier to control with your tiny little sticks, as it's like driving in slow motion o_O

paul_wev likes this.
  12. Larryf1951

Well, I attempted the Lotus 49 quick race in special events last night and mysteriously, the car was more manageable. It was not easy, but it was a lot better. Maybe it was the patch or maybe my control has improved. Or, whatever. I took the win in easy difficulty. I will have to go through them all in medium now.

svenvangent and Pleite like this.
  13. Plato99

Plato99 Simracer

It's why
    a) I drive the 72D
    b) Have a lot of admiration for Graham Hill and Jimmy Clark !!

Fat-Alfie, HavanaB0B and Pleite like this.
  14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

@Larryf1951 from the last hotlap challenge I know the problem of understeer --> mad oversteer in the Cobra. In my experience if you come in with understeer chances are high you'll come out of the turn with too much oversteer.

So you can prevent this from happening with driving style by coming in slower, even if it feels too slow at first. You might then be able to "pick up" the car with the throttle at exactly the right point to induce the slight 4-wheel-drift those cars are famous for.

But of course the setup will help you, as well. I'm gonna skip the whole base setup - if you want to adress throttle understeer (before rears lose traction) you can:

• increase front negative camber (and/or reduce rear negative camber)
    • reduce front damper rebound stiffness (and/or increase rear bump stiffness)
    • reduce front anti-roll bar stiffness (and/or increase rear ARB stiffness)
    • Increase the accelleration diff lock.
    Good luck.

Fat-Alfie and paul_wev like this.
  15. antonpaco

antonpaco Rookie

the problem of this car ( lotus type 49 ) is only one, DOES NOT BRAKE. It doesn't matter how you setup, the car does not brake, I tried to move all front, then all rear, nothing to do. I believe KUNOS never tested the brakes of lotus type 49.

16. HavanaB0B

HavanaB0B Hardcore Simmer

I had no issue getting it to stop here

17. PRO Stream BG

PRO Stream BG Simracer

The only solution is to Get a Wheel and H shifter! (then you gone a love this car, also in stock setup, without any change :) )

BrainsBush, paul_wev and pippo10 like this.
  18. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

Love this car so much, been a while since I drove it. Its just one of many in this game that are worth the of entry on it's own.

19. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

Worth the price of entry that's meant to read lol.

Matt White and paul_wev like this.
  20. BrainsBush

BrainsBush Hardcore Simmer

Took me a while to get used to this/these kind of classic car(s) and their behavior. No ABS, no TC, throttle alert etc :) Those were the days. Excellent muscle workout.
    Once you get the right feeling between car, track and your controller (T300 in my case) it really is love at first side.
    No I am not the classic car alien with my times but at least I know how to keep them on track and now and then get the so called Gold time with e.g. the Lotus 49.

With regards to 'braking' it is a combination of actually braking but also downshifting and use your gears to brake. But too aggressively will get you free donuts ;)

Practice, start over, practice again and patience is key. Ooh and watch video's to learn from each other. Very helpful!

pippo10 and paul_wev like this.
  21. Larryf1951

Thank you for your response, and your appreciation for this car.
    One criticism, though, if you have to take the time to learn the car can you truly call it love at first sight? :cool: