1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Performance Mystery

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by myimac, Jul 24, 2016.

1. myimac

myimac Alien

Hi guys,

I have been trying to get to the bottom of why I have poor performance with full grids. Tonite I just sat on the grid with the render stats up to try and see what I could find.

My Rig has been upgraded with GTX 1080 and i5 4670K. I am running oculus.

Here are my findings:

Start of race with 11 AI

Race start is 45 fps

CPU usage of about 70%
    Physics about 25-30%
    FMOD DSP 7%
    FMOD Usage about 15%

As the cars drive off the fps goes up, however while the cars are out of sight the fps still drops at various points around the track (Magione)

Each time the cars go past me on the grid the fps will drop progressively lower as more of the cars go past.

I have no idea what to do to improve performance as I have tried to lower settings even to the lowest gfx settings but the drops are pretty reproduceable.

Any ideas?

I would buy a new processor if I could get confirmation that this is not a performance issue with the current way physics works as I never had issues with larger grids in previous builds.

ripkin87 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality Shouldn't I get better performance with this spec? Mar 12, 2024
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Red Bull Ring low performance Feb 2, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Recommended VM Performance for large grid races Aug 14, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Recommended VM Performance for large grid races Aug 9, 2023
    ACC Physics Brake Cooling Performance Change on Brake Change in Pits Jul 21, 2023
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues In game FPS not same with performance test FPS Apr 11, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal errors and very low performance Feb 15, 2023
    ACC Physics Performance updates changelog Jan 17, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality AMD's Next Gen RX 7900XTX with disappointing performance in VR Jan 16, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Is it possible to make AI performance more similar to each other? Dec 28, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Watkins Glen VR-Performance Dec 15, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Can I get more performance for ACC out of my CPU and RAM? Dec 11, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Bad VR performance after upgraden 6900XT --> RTX4900 Dec 5, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality SteamVR vs. OpenXR (PimaxXR) performance on Pimax 8KX w/ 4090 Oct 26, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality 4090 settings - performance of Pixel Density vs. Rendering Res Oct 21, 2022

3. Vel

Vel Simracer

I manage to run 40 cars, on spa at ~60 fps with mild dips down to the mid 55's.
    Normal tracks with full grids, without expanded pits, average 80-100+ fps. I manage this by turning reflection frequency down to static.

Judging by the options in the AC config file assetto_corsa.ini found here: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\system\cfg

I suspect grid size is impacted by the number of threads a CPU features. As well as your settings / configuration of the game. Someone else can probably make a better, more informed suggestion/comment...But i'd think more threads might indeed help your situation (a new i7 etc. CPU). At the very minimum i'd go and turn reflection frequency down to static, and try again with your current setup.

4. Stereo

Stereo Alien

The big CPU use spike is collision calculations, in order to find calculations between a grid of 20 cars, you have to compare 190 pairs of cars to see if they're colliding. The bigger the grid the more this dominates, because unlike most of the physics calculations it's growing as the square of the number of cars on track - 20 cars is 4 times as much CPU load as 10 cars, 30 cars is 9 times as much CPU load. At a certain distance from the player this gets simplified so once the grid spreads out it's not as bad.

BrettSinclair, Seria17hri11er and Vel like this.
  5. Rudski

Rudski Alien

It would help to state what FPS you're actually getting, low doesn't really help.
    What settings are you using in-game? Is everything pumped to the max?

Have you tried renaming the docs folder? After one update I was getting poor performance till I renamed it and the next race I had 100 fps as previously I had 45.
    Probably a good idea to upload your log files, maybe it's a mod you're running that's causing it?

In single screen run the benchmark and post up your report.

Vel likes this.
  6. myimac

myimac Alien

I'm away from my machine right now but I'll get back with benchmarks. I've actually run them multiple times, but I can't seem to isolate anything that looked weird or helped.

I have dumped the Assetto Corsa documents folder.

I have uninstalled all apps

I have run with static and no reflections

Additionally I have set the sound to normal just in case FMOD was taking more CPU cycles even though I had no problem with sound.

Is the theory that my CPU in render stats should be at 100% when it has peaked or is it an in-game measure. If I try to monitor the CPU on my system it seems to reflect the same as the Assetto render stats usage. Which in theory would indicate that the CPU is not bottlenecking anything...

7. Vel

Vel Simracer

In the main steam window, have you gone into library/right clicked on Assetto Corsa, selected the Local Files tab, and ran "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE" ?

8. Usually is safe to uninstall any kind of App in Assetto Corsa first when you experience bad fps.

9. BrunUK

BrunUK Alien

At the moment VR runs like crap on pretty much any system so it would make sense to eliminate that from the equation and see how things run under more normal circumstances. From what I've read above and elsewhere I'm not sure that the problems you describe are much different to everyone else running VR.

We know that the physics and AI of AC put far higher demands on the CPU than most other games. As far as I'm aware, the main overhead with VR - the scene having to be created independently for each eye - is also something that puts more strain on the CPU rather than the GPU. The result being that AI+VR kills performance.

I'm (still) waiting for my 1080, but even paired with a 6700k I've got reservations about how well it will cope with a lot of AI opponents.

10. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

Your i5 processor has four cores with no threading. In AC Core #1 is dedicated to rendering the screen output, the other three cores are dedicated to running physics on the cars. Each car has it's own physics thread. Cars add a lot of work to the cpu.

The "cpu percentage" indicator tells you how hard the overall processor is working. If one core is working at 100% and the other cores aren't working at all then the cpu percentage would show 25%. A core can't pass work to another core if the programing doesn't allow it. Most games don't utilize multi core processing very well. AC actually does this pretty well as it utilizes one core for rendering and the others for the physics calculations.

The difference between an i5 processor and an i7 processor is multi-threading. With multi threading the cpu essentially treats a core as though it were 2 cores if the software allows it. With AC this doesn't impact Core #1 which is dedicated to rendering but it does double the number of program streams which can be handled by the other three cores. This means an i7 has 6 threads going while the i5 has 3 threads and increase in the number of cars that can be calculated. The clock frequency on the cpu determines how many calculations can be processed in a unit of time so a faster clock helps both the rendering and physics units.

While I haven't heard Stephano state directly I expect that the render waits to have information on each car completed before it produces another frame. This means when your cpu can't get all it's work done the frame rate begins to drop. Apparently collision calculations add work. This explains why crowded first corners really slow the unit.

With my i7 6700 OC at 4.8 GHz running on my gtx1080 OC at 2000MHz, I can sustain 90fps on a 16 car grid with 1.5 X pixel density, AA2X, AF 16X, PP on default, and other settings on ultra. I get a decent display on my Rift. If I start taking the cars up from 16 I start losing fps particularly at the start.

My interpretation of this information is that even with an OC i7 6700 I am still cpu limited. The gtx 1080 can easily keep up with the cpu when it can provides the frames as it does with up to 16 cars. The cpu can't get all the calculations done when there are more than 16 cars when they are banging together in the first corner.

colombianomd, Andrew_WOT and Vel like this.
  11. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

As I reported above, I can sustain 90 fps on my i7 6700 OC 4.8GHz with optimized settings on quality for a field of 16 in an AI race. I start to lose fps if I go above that. A field of 20 is pretty good, a field of 24 is pretty marginal.

12. Probably the first reasoning for the terrible racing performance (on my machine) of AC - thank you.
    I have, however, to ask, why does this not appear with any other racing game? Shouldn't the collision calculation be streamlined a bit, aiding the performance / larger grids.

Best regards,
    Brett

13. Skazz

Skazz Racer

Those of us who bought in to AC during early access have watched the AI get better and less CPU heavy with time. The first AI release was basically unworkable above 12 cars.

Clearly there is still plenty of optimizing to do, but since every patch brings major updates to the AI and since I can quite easily race 23 AI as long as I don't mind frame rates dropping slightly below 60 on the grid, I'm personally fine with it.

More importantly, for the consoles they have to work with a lot less Cpu power than my i7 6700k, so I am very curious how that plays. I'm expecting those optimizations to benefit PC users too.

Since I already preordered AC for the PS4 (my console rig doesn't get enough play at the moment and GT Sport won't be out for ages) I am looking forward to comparing the AI between the PC and PS4.

14. myimac

myimac Alien

If this is true then we have a problem.

An i7 with 1080 not being able to run a full grids asks the question of what type of machine would you actually need to run it.

In answer to some of the other responses: I get the way Assetto uses cores but in Windows it shows each core getting utilised at the same amount and I get drops even with 70% on each core.

This doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to run some benchmarks for you guys but I think this is clearly broken in some way.

When we break down the areas that it could be I see no full loading for memory, CPU or GPU.

I have uninstalled all third party apps.
    Verified integrity.

To me it just doesn't make sense that right now we need something more beefy then an i7 6700 with 1080 to make things better.

@lordkunos @acsupport @help!

colombianomd likes this.
  15. Skazz

Skazz Racer

The worst offender settings are reflections and mirrors. Have you tried turning these down? Have you tried running AC with post processing disabled to see what that does for frame rates?

16. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

I usually drop Smoke to Low, lower reflection to Medium. Usually this is enough.
    But if that doesn't help, Shadows to High.
    I also use Natural Mod PP, it helps with performance quite a bit.
    i7, 980, 4K

EDIT: Time of the day matters too, evening hours are the worst due to shadows and god rays.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  17. APC900

APC900 Simracer

Take a really good, hard look at how your hardware is configured.
    Things like the OS drive on a slow controller or the videocard in less than optimal slot etc... can be the source of your grief.
    With your system specs, you should be absolutely 'flying' through AC.

18. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

The latest patches after 1.7 seem to have hurt performance somewhat in VR. I was getting a very solid 90fps even with AI, but the latest patches have made my game stutter at certain sections of the track even with no AI. There's definitely something weird that needs to be fixed.

19. myimac

myimac Alien

Just for the record guys.

I have tried with static reflections and mirrors low. I don't run PP due to not getting 90fps always without.

I have dumped my Assetto documents folder but with no luck.

I know my system in theory should fly. What I'm looking for is somebody that is able to say "yes I can run 90fps with a normal grid with medium settings" and then state their specs.

So far even beast machines cannot, so I want to know why and what do we need to do it as it seems unlikely that Assetto is outdoing beast machines

20. Take a look here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/benchmark-results-food-for-thought.28103/

maybe someone can help. We have some users claiming they can "run 90fps with a normal grid with medium settings". If you check LurdKunos videos he gets well over 200fps (not with 24 AI)

21. Rudski

Rudski Alien

Should you also consider VR support isn't quite finished?
    Performance wise until it's implemented you might find limitations even with the fastest systems.

i7 4930k @ 4.2ghz with a R9 290x and I can't run PP or reflections but I can run 1.5 pixel density. 4x AA and 16x AF. World detail to medium, shadow on high.
    Normal smoke showing in mirrors, mirror detail on high. 12 AI cars and I get a solid 90 fps.

ZethGAF likes this.