1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

TS-PC Racer or CSL Elite wheel?

Discussion in 'Steering wheels discussions' started by Bugatti, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Bugatti

Bugatti Gamer

Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer vs. CSL Elite Wheel
    I can afford both. I plan to pair either with the CSL elite loadcell pedals.

I am looking for help on deciding which one to purchase as they are direct competitors in the price point.

Both output over 6 nm of torque (per manufacturer's claim). I would tend to believe that the tspc would be a little bit stronger because of the massive 400w power supply. I like the LMP style rim on the tspc, and the rest of the rims are a lot cheaper. I understand the quality isn't as nice, but this is ok. I don't care for rev lights, I simply use the ones in-game. There is also an adapter to use real rims. In contrast, the fanatic rims are all $400.

I have heard that the fanatic csl wheel feedback is a little muddy. This is the opposite of what I would like.

I had an osw and it was fantastic, but soon realized that things were getting out of hand price wise and returned the whole setup. I am just getting back into things but would like to keep it semi budget oriented. I am leaning towards the ts-pc but would like to hear the other side of the argument/other opinions before I pull the trigger on the purchase. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    F430_458_F12 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Bug with TS-PC Racer advanced mode Jul 28, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TS-PC racer set up Aug 11, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TS-PC Racer Ferrari Led Lights to bright Aug 10, 2019
    Steering wheels discussions Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer with Fanatec Pedals? Jul 25, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals T300RS with Open Wheel from TS-PC Racer Apr 6, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TS-PC racer wrong button numbers when assigning buttons Mar 10, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TS-PC Racer Buttons Nov 18, 2018
    ACC Controls & Peripherals No rev leds with Thrustmaster TS-PC Ferrari 488 in version 1.8 [Resolved by Advanced Mode] Dec 6, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Using thrustmaster ts-pc wheel with logitech G27 pedal (not wheel) Jan 10, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Thrustmaster TS-PC or Fanatec Wheelbase 2.5 Jun 13, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals ACC crashes at start with 2 wheels plugged in (TM TS-PC + Fanatec DD1) Apr 29, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Does Heusinkveld pedal Pro/2 Pedal and Thrustmaster TS-PC works with Wheel Stand Pro? Jan 8, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TS-PC wheel FFB feedback Jun 17, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TS-PC Ferrari 488 LEDs work in "Normal" mode but not in "Advanced" Mode Jun 1, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals TM TS-PC not recognized May 31, 2019

3. guntag

guntag Gamer

I never read any torque specs for the TS-PC Racer or T300, only for the T500 Motor with 150mNm.
    Imo the TS-PC Racer is a further development of the T300 in force and stability.
    In an German Forum an user of the TS-PC Racer says the power supply is labeled with 96W.Another statement from F. is that the CSL Elite is not the target group for the T500.

4. Wergilius

Wergilius Simracer

I recently bought the ts-pc setup, i can not provide any direct comparison over the fanatec and thrustmaster wheel since my previous wheel was an logitech ffb wheel (>10y old)
    fanatec and thrustmaster with pedals would end up in the same price range for an complete kit with pedals and shifter.

Before buying I try reading about the wheels and reviews of the different setups, the fanatec seems a little "budget" with plastic housing and some mechanical issues with one of the mounting
    points. when comparing ffb the fanatec was told to be an bit sluggish and the new ts-pc an upgrade in performance over 300 and 500 series.

the ts-pc is an new "premium" release from thrustmaster with some interesting features and after using it for almost two weeks it is really hard to find any negative thing.
    robost, partial metall hosing, previous statement from 300 and 500 owners with bad clamping, the provided clamp works close to perfect (not possible for me to use the hard mounts).

the power is really god, not any noticeable center play/issues and very distinct and helpful ffb from AC and dirt rally, the games mostly used so far
    i currently use the ffb at 75% and I do get tired after a while, since I do drive an race car in real life (with slicks), the weight and feel do feel kind of realistic
    in terms of weight and behavior (as it can be using only the steering as an input)

the one thing to complain about is that in AC (not in dirt) the dpad is currently not working at all and sometimes the cfg is lost (the axis has to be relearned),
    but that is "only" software and is probable solved in the near future, in dirt rally the dpad works fine but setting is sometimes lost (set back to default keyboard).
    maybe related to that the wheel is "new" and not included in any default setups (yet)

i did also go for the shifter and pro pedals from thrustmaster, very solid steel construction with possible to change the brake pedal from spongy to an hard stone feeling.

the fanatec do have wider range of products and authentic wheel where thrustmuster only seems to have on generic gt wheel, all in leather, as optional parts
    (but i would use an generic wheel after all since I would most likely drive different cars anyway)

as everything else its all personal, but from my point if view, it was money well invested

(one workaround for the dpad is using the head shake app who access the dpad outside AC)

Paratus likes this.
  5. mBardos76

mBardos76 Gamer

6. Wergilius

Wergilius Simracer

after I used the wizard for the setup, the naming for the usb device was correct in the saved ini file and cfg is after that, not lost
    (was first editing an existing setup), still dpad not working but workaround thru real head motion app

7. mBardos76

mBardos76 Gamer

Never heard of the head motion app... Could you provide a link so I'll check it out?

8. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

mBardos76 likes this.
  9. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Here's my reasoning: the power of any FFB belt-driven motor is only as strong as the weight of the wheel it turns. Fanatec uses much stronger motors...but check out the weights of their accessory rims! The BMW GT2 rim is legendary for weight...over 4.6 lbs! By comparison, TM's wheel rims rarely exceed 2.5 lbs...so while TM generally uses less powerful motors than Fanatec, the wheels are also less in weight...in fact, significantly less.

Envision it this way: which is really more powerful? A huge v12 engine in a Rolls-Royce...or a v8 from a Ferrari 458? I think we all know the answer to that. Power-to-weight is so important, and since the weight in this case is the wheel rim, the lighter rim on a less powerful motor will deliver more perceived force than will be felt in a heavy rim on a stronger motor.

mBardos76 likes this.
  10. guntag

guntag Gamer

The Fanatec CSL Steering wheel has also only 1170 gr (2580 lbs).

11. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Right, but that's only one wheel...Thrustmaster has numerous wheels as light weight or lighter in weight. The stronger motor begins to lose charm when you realize, in the case of Fanatec, that it's driving much heavier wheels. So, with 7N.m torque, driving a 4.6 lbs BMW wheel...1960 gram Porsche 918 wheel...are you really getting stronger forces as opposed to a 6 N.m TM motor driving light weight wheels?

12. Tobiman

Tobiman Gamer

You have the formula rim from fanatec.

13. morpwr69

morpwr69 Racer

I learned a lesson on this not too long ago. Wheel weight is not the do all end all like everyone thinks it is. I got the pc racer as soon as it came out my only issue with it was the small wheels that tm makes. So I started looking at options and like you figured weight was really important when chosing one. Lighter is better right? Full size momo conversion quite a bit heavier then the tm wheels and I was comparing them to the tm alacantra which is the biggest they make. So I decided on the fanatec gt rim. It was the right size and according to the details pretty close in weight to the tm. When it showed up and it was a lot heavier then what the description said but I figured I already had it so id try it. It actually transfers a lot more feel then the tm wheels which is the exact opposite of what I expected. I think some of it has to do with the hardness of the material the wheel is made out of . The softer metals and materials act as a damper so a lot of the smaller details get lost or muffled. That's the only thing I can come up with because its definitely better then the tm formula wheel and the tm alacatra wheel even though its heavier.

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  14. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

You bring up an important point, mor. Did you attach the Fanatec wheel to your TM TS-PC base? Or did you also have a Fanatec base?

Also, which Fanatec wheel rim did you use? I use the BMW rim, it's 4.6 lbs, so pretty heavy...I'm assuming by your description that you have the Porsche rim with the leather, a harder material than alcantara..?

morpwr69 likes this.
  15. Wergilius

Wergilius Simracer

Normally you have your hands on the wheel, trying to hold back the force generated by the wheelbase.
    The smaller diameter of rim, the harder it should be to hold it still, I have the pc-racer as well and don't
    run it at 100%, as long you don't run out of force with a bigger rim it is probably a better experience.

The weight of the rim does affect how fast you can rotate it (for example with the iracing wheel tester)
    but should have little impact when you drive since you always restrict the movement.
    (edit, unless all weight of the rim is far out but I guess it has most of the mass close to center)

I'm looking at replacing my rim as well, what fanatec rim did you select?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  16. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Interesting. Yeah, my Fanatec rim is the BMW...the old one. I thought about using the newer rims...but I can'd stand them. The Forza D-rim is just...no car has that type of rim lol, the Porsche rim looks ugly to me...BMW has good alcantara, and for race cars it's a must. It's a heavy ***** let me tell you...over 4.6 lbs 2100g...It sucks up the forces a little, so I have to run the FFB 100 game and tuning menu lol...I run the individual car FFB down so as to avoid clipping. I wish Fanatec would introduce other wheels...

I'm saving for the universal hub even though it looks a little ugly so I can use mygenuine 2010 Porsche GT3 cup rim :D...wish I could get a legit button system for it like the real one!

17. morpwr69

morpwr69 Racer

I used the gt wheel with the flat bottom. It was 99 dollars and the right size so I tried it. I used it with the thrustmaster hub. It is doable and not super hard to do but if you don't have patience I don't recommend doing it. The bolt patterns are really close in size to each other(why thrustmaster? just use the standard pattern like most others) and you have to drill the holes for the d pad and add a couple notches for buttons.

18. morpwr69

morpwr69 Racer

If you guys decide to try it I used graph paper so I could center the holes to mount it while holding it up to a window so the light showed all the holes then transferred that to the new wheel the same way.

19. morpwr69

morpwr69 Racer

I think its more the metal part but I'm sure the cover has something to do with it to. I just wonder if fanatec really did their homework when designing there wheels and made sure the wheel itself didn't dampen what you feel or possibly exaggerate it? Kind of like a bell you cant just make a bell out of anything because it wont ring. I don't know if there is anything to my theory but I do know the fanatec even though heavier was a lot better and where I really noticed it was the subtle details and I'm running it at the default 75 in the profile.

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  20. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Bro, if it's not too late, please do yourself a favor and find a used set of v1 or v2 clubsport pedals. SERIOUSLY. They pop up every month on eBay, Euro and American versions of the site. I've modded my aging v1 set, and even though they aren't as fine as the v3, they make a world of difference when it comes to racing enjoyment. Nothing beats the metal solidness, the pedal placement, and strength. You can LEAN on the loadcell and really get the feeling of driving.

21. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Man, I race with my Clubsport v2 base at 100% forces in the game and Fanatec menu...I don't get tired at all!

pri3st likes this.