1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

A post explaining what's wrong with today's racing games' career mode

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by isamu, Jul 28, 2017.

1. isamu

isamu Racer

Word is now coming out that Gran Turismo Sport's so called "Career Campaign" is going to be nothing more that stripped down version of their past campaigns, containing only a handful of challenges and time trial-esque missions. Suffice it to say, many are disappointed in the direction PD is taking this franchise. A poster by the name of moparmanmike has summed up perfectly why the single player component in today's racing sims/games get quite boring after just a few days.

This summarizes exactly why I've become disenchanted with today's racing games containing a so called "career campaign" mode. They need to bring back the RPG progression element. I'm hoping some day Kunos adds a real career campaign as described above to AC. It would be a good incentive, for me at least, to play the game more. Buying a new game having the fastest cars in the world available to you from day 1 gets boring REAL fast and is the wrong way to approach the single player component. Let's see what Turn 10 brings to the table with F7.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Is it enough to post here? Jul 19, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Post 1.0.9.4 Update Glitches Jun 28, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Trying to post Apr 4, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions Flex Post sorry but it feels good. CPU upgrade. Dec 22, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Does posting here give me privileges Dec 14, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions I have to post before it lets me download Dec 4, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Bugs summary post 1.8.5 patch Nov 24, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Bugs summary post 1.8.4.1 patch Nov 11, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Bugs summary post 1.8.2.2 patch Oct 14, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Need help? Can't post. Oct 11, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Thrustmaster SF1000 Display post V1.8 Oct 4, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Info for add Post Race Penalties Sep 30, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Bugs summary post 1.8.1 patch Sep 30, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Is a post here sufficient to get the privilege to file a request for support? Jul 8, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC keeps crashing. posting latest log May 15, 2022

3. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

But gt sport was always advertised as more of an online esport game in partnership with the FIA, it was never supposed to be GT7.

4. Bill Wiskins

Bill Wiskins Hardcore Simmer

I do miss those kinds of campaigns, but I think that anyone disappointed to find that Assetto (or GT Sport, or the other titles mentioned) doesn't work like that should have read up a bit on what they were getting into beforehand. What I mean is that it's fine to yearn for those old GT career mode days, but it's not fair to criticise AC (for example, since we're here) when they aren't like that. They are different things.

Like I said - I miss that stuff too, but the fact is that if you're not getting what you want when you play a game, you might have chosen poorly, not the game devs.

Chazz Ranger likes this.
  5. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Shhhh, don't confuse people with well-known facts!! :eek: We're in the age now where we make up our own facts. ;)

Gran Turismo has one of the worst offline campaigns of any racing game IMO, driving around mobile chicanes and chasing rabbits, zero satisfaction.

Releasing a PC sim where most of the cars are locked from the beginning and you have to grind to unlock them is probably a sure-fire recipe for failure.

Ace Pumpkin, jaxx_za, chksix and 2 others like this.
  6. Torcano

Torcano Alien

Car collecting while unlocking monies was feckin boring LMAO. Don't care for it one bit. AI events are always dull as anything. Rose tinted glasses much. Good thing everything is unlocked from the get go so that I don't have to waste a bunch of time doing menial bollocks.

jaxx_za, chksix, paul_wev and 3 others like this.
  7. Turk

Turk Alien

I bought AC because it's a simulator, I have no interest in a game that makes me feel like I'm a superstar. I have nothing against a single player career as long as it doesn't interfere with my ability to drive every car on every track. I have no interest in grinding, fake leader boards, silly challenges, ego boosting, all I want is a simulator.

I get that other people want a game and I've nothing against adding more game to the simulator as long as I'm not forced to take part in it. Again, all that matters to me is that it's a simulator. I don't have time to grind.

8. Chazz Ranger

Chazz Ranger Alien

A poster by the name of Bill Wiskins has summed up perfectly why OP is barking up the wrong tree.
    The RPG element of GT was always the best part of GT, but GT is and always was a racing game, not a racing sim - and yes, categorically there is a difference. I can guarantee with 100% certainty that AC will never have that type of career mode, as awesome as it could potentially be. :)

9. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

I like career, campaigns, they add some sense of progression and you getting better w/o boring you much with races/championships setups. What I hate is locked behind career content.
    Leave it open in single events, custom championships, special events.

This is what AC is doing, and if career is not your thing, you can just skip it w/o losing access to any cars or tracks.

10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

There was a game on pc that use to be like that, don't remember which one, it did not take long before we had a modder allowing to unlock everything in one shot.
    Having to grind to unlock the content you just bought is a thing of the past, one hopes.

11. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Then don't waste everybody's time with a halfassed career more at all, IMO... either make a video game or stick with being a sim.

chksix likes this.
  12. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

I personally like a good career mode. I spent a lot of time earning the Platinum Trophy in GT5 & GT6, along the way it taught me some important skills about sim racing.

I don't personally need to go through the drill of grinding for cars, or some of the really hoaky challenges but I would appreciate a somewhat better career mode then what AC has. It gets to be a real grind of very similar races. I must say that the improved AI has made these races more fun but they still could benefit from a more interesting progression as well as sense of accomplishment.

13. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I know this is maybe irrelevant to the actual careermode progression and in terms of achievement, I've never tried AC's career and I only use the AI when I demo the rig to a friend.
    But, a week ago I installed Crew Chief v4 and that is an incredible boost of immersion in terms of making the track and pits come more to life. It not only tells you if car is on your right, if your front left tyre is cold, if you're running on fumes and need to pit. It also tells you you lap and sectortimes, and cheer for you if you go faster or overtake, while swearing if things go wrong. It is practically what you expect from a Codemaster title that put heavy focus on what OP is asking for.

Multiplayer or singleplayer, crewchief is much more than the average nonsense speak in your ear just for the fun of it. It's very precise and informative and can be adjusted to your likings, even controller with voicerecognition.

jaxx_za likes this.
  14. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Most of my time is spent learning car / track combinations (mainly GT2/3) to the point where I'm fast enough to get online. Been at it for almost 270hrs and I'm confident on only 3 track (Spa, Mugello and Monza).

I even find car setup tuning to be too much, and prefer to focus on the driving (hence grateful for the setup market).

With the number of laser scanned tracks available, there is still a lot of life in AC for me.
    Never liked the career progression in games like Forza as I found myself rushing to unlock the next car more than taking the time to learn the cars/tracks.

AC is the first title in which I've take a more methodical approach, and believe the is reason is because all car / tracks are open from the get go.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

St3fan likes this.
  15. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Yup crewcheif is ace, I even stopped using helicorsa ages ago in favour of crewcheif :)

Tberg likes this.
  16. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

A career would be quite nice if you weren't expected to win every race, but more like trying to stay in the first half of the point charts and make a name for yourself. And of you aren'tgood enough in a season to be casted into a higher class, just stay and do another season. Or if you don't want to go into next class yet.

I use the Custom Championships to do a GT Masters season and it's quite awesome. Give it the best you can and try to score some points if you can. With a difficulty set in the range where there are drivers faster than me (lucky to be one of the few slow guys who can actually race nicely with the AI at 97-99%).