1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AMD Ryzen CPUs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by chalminho, Feb 27, 2017.

1. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

Hi,

I've read previews of AMD Ryzen CPUs and am starting to think it may finally be retirement time for my reliable 2600K. It's so exciting to finally see some innovation on the CPU market after years of overpriced stagnation due to lack of competition.

If anyone makes the jump to Ryzen, please share your experience in this thread.

Also, it would be good if someone (the devs themselves ideally) could explain if/how much AC scales on more than 8 threads (high end Ryzen CPUs have 8 cores/16 threads).

Thanks!

F430_458_F12 likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality Reverb G2 + Ryzen 5800X + AMD RX6800 Mar 11, 2021
    ACC Tools ACC will not recognise my Elgato steamdeck Feb 15, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error - Problem with AMD Graphics Card? - Solved May 7, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality AMD's Next Gen RX 7900XTX with disappointing performance in VR Jan 16, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error on startup with no message [amdxx64.dll crash - gpu driver reinstallation] Oct 12, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Elgato Streamdeck stuck with Starter hotkey Sep 1, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality 3080 Vram not enough with AMD 5800x3d? May 2, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting No possibility to even start a race [AMD GPU driver crash - ATIDXX64.dll] Dec 29, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Enabling AMD FSR alters FOV [FSR disables projection correction] Nov 25, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Jun 22, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions AMD 5900X + RTX 3080, limiting factor? Monitoring data included. Jan 15, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality AMD GPU vs VR Nov 7, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions AMD RX 6800XT Nov 4, 2020
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues turns out AMD FX cpu overclock DOES make you faster (exploit/hack/bug/glitch idk) Sep 15, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Performance problem with AMD 5700 XT and driver names Aug 9, 2020

3. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

Yeah, if the hype is true, there may finally be an viable alternative to chipzilla and I may upgrade my 2600k too.
    Its been a long time since AMD fell behind and couldn't quite catch up.
    Either way chipzilla will probably have to drop their prices to maintain market share in the Low/mid range space, which will be almost like them admitting "yeah.....we've been d*cking you for years!"

Horus likes this.
  4. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Sadly MB with decent amount of SATA ports are costly (2x SSD, 7x HDD, 1x optical drive), which jacks up the price for me.

Though as a former AMD guy I'm hoping for some more competition, but the i7 models just left AMD far behind so far.

aphidgod likes this.
  5. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Pretty much all mainboard prices for AM4 are ridiculous.
    Overall, the system cost is a bit too high at the moment.
    Keep in mind that you need a new CPU, mainboard and memory (DDR4), all of which are quite expensive right now.

Also, I'd wait for the 4/6 core cpus to show up. For games, I don't really see a need right now for 8 cores.
    That money is better invested elsewhere.
    In principle, the physics calculation should be able to scale in a game like AC, especially with AI opponents, but I don't know (and didn't test) if it really does.

Personally, I'd wait half a year or so. Then prices should have settled a bit and in addition the new generation of GPUs by AMD (which are rumoured to be good as well) should be there as well.

Regarding the AMD vs. Intel battle that is surely coming up:
    I've not used a single Intel CPU privately since ~2000 and I haven't had issues playing games so far.
    AC runs nicely on my CPU. :)
    Sure, I don't have the fastest CPU on the market and not even a CPU of the market leader, but I outgrew that idiocy years ago. :p

mrk1001, Jadonyx and Horus like this.
  6. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

We're still pre-release, so prices are still high.
    Let's wait for prices once the first wave is shipped and everything is in stock.
    4-6 weeks or so and the prices are usually already down from list prices.

My i7-920 plus board, cooler and ram was like 600-650€ it was money well spent for now 8 years and still handles fine. Before it was AMD, usually every 2 to 2,5 years a new system before the performance increases were big enough so it was necessary.
    The i7-9x0 successors were merely little performance increases with each update.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  7. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

One thing to keep in mind is that they will keep the same socket for a while, so that the motherboard cost a bit more isnt that big of a issue. At least if you maybe want to upgrade within 3-4 years. I think they have said am4 will be used until 2020-2021?

8. Nobby76

Nobby76 Alien

i see people talking about how the cost is still a bit too high.. $400 vs $1100 for the I7 equivalent. .Thats not exactly what i call expensive... When you can buy the chip, mobo and ram for less than you can buy the chip from the other guys.. id call that SUPER CHEAP, not expensive.

Stoepsel, Jadonyx, gandlers and 2 others like this.
  9. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Im not sure if something could be called super cheap just because something else is super expensive. ;)

10. Horus

Horus Alien

I will not use Intel products, so when AMD release the second batch of CPU and Mobo I will be taking the jump.

edit: @Berniyh said everything I would have typed, that is why the one sentence post. :D

edit of edit: I will not go for an AMD GPU till their Linux drivers are sorted out. I have not seen a good AMD Linux driver yet (even though I have not looked for a few years). nVidia have always been kind to Linux on that front.

TDS likes this.
  11. Nobby76

Nobby76 Alien

Well that was more of a "compared to" But yeah i do think $400 is cheap for an 8 core 16 thread chip that can run at 4 ghz. Thats amazingly cheap...i remember the price of my pentium 2 and my amd athalon..

@Horus Ive currently got some money saved up i was supposed to be saving up £2,200 for my new drumkit but i may just blow it on building a new machine.. Which will probably contain a 1700x, an Nvidia 1080 and 32gb of ram (no its not just a games machine, it will be used for GFX and music creation too lol )

Horus likes this.
  12. Horus

Horus Alien

You will have to keep us informed on that Nobby. I hope this does not mean you will be without a drumkit though! As John Bonham & Buddy Rich, will haunt you for the rest of your days. ;)

Sorry but I love these guys.

TDS and Pixelchaser like this.
  13. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yeah, but it's overpriced for what you need in a gaming rig. ;)

There just is no need for that $1100 Intel CPU in any sensible scenario (with focus on gaming, of course there are other areas where you can benefit).

Horus likes this.
  14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I'm using AMD with open source drivers since 2008 or 2009. Works like charm. :)

Horus likes this.
  15. Yes, I agree. The very top of the pile is always stupidly expensive where PC components are concerned. The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 costs around 600 quid, which is ridiculous.

donShere, Horus and Schnipp like this.
  16. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Yes, I even think 300€ is overpriced for GTX x60 or now xx60 (Ti) cards.

I remember my GTX 260 was less than 150€ and it was still 3/4 of year until the successor was introduced.

The next faster cpu than my i7-920 was like 70% more expensive and had maybe 15% more processing performance...

17. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

Big supporter of AMD and competition in the hardware market in general. Will get the 1700 with the release of the new Vega GPU in Q2/Q3 this year.
    Intel already dropped its prices like scared fruitcakes and the 1700 is x3 times as fast as my 1055T in Cinebench R15 and for less than an Intel equivalent.

Horus likes this.
  18. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

?
    You mean this?
    https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/about-intel-price-cut-article-that-was-deleted.231020/

Regular sales get translated to Intel having panic.

btw, do anyone know when NDA end? Ive heard different things, tomorrow and on Thursday.

nate likes this.
  19. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

20. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

21. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

It's going to take a lot more than "hey, this finally doesn't suck" to get me back to AMD chips. I reluctantly switched back to Intel for the i7 due to its overwhelming superiority and I'll need the same from AMD to flip my bit again.

I also love how you guys shun Intel as this evil mega chip giant, while AMD is this beloved plucky underdog. That was true in 2001... AMD is just another giant tech corporation now, one who makes inferior products to its competition pretty much across the board.

Tomcul, Andrew_WOT and nate like this.