1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

AMD Ryzen CPUs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by chalminho, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

My 1600 runs 3,6GHz with ~1.188V, I don't care for the last few percent, I rather take the lower power consumption and heat as I tend to use my system for a long time.

2. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Racer

Can you say from what system you upgraded from and what are your thoughts on the performance gain?

3. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

i7-920 @ 3,36GHz.
    AC loading time reduced by half, re-encoding a video in Handbrake reduced to 1/3 of the time

Though my old system only had Sata II and not Sata III ports, so some of the gain could be down to higher data rates.

TheReaper GT likes this.
  4. TheReaper GT

TheReaper GT Racer

Thank you, I really appreciate it

5. CamsX

CamsX Racer

As Schnipp mentioned before, if you are on i5 or older/slower then any ryzen from r5 1600 and above will be a great upgrade. If its only for AC then you might not see much improvements.

I upgraded in 2015 to Skylake 6600k (4.55ghz) from FX8350 (4.4ghz) and saw major improvements. Went for R7 1700 (3.7ghz currently on matx case) and everything runs great. The 6600k wasn't slow at all, but I just wanted to jump on the high core counts band wagon.

TLDR, FX to Ryzen will be a total win.

Schnipp likes this.
  6. CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow Hardcore Simmer

I set R1600 (3.7 overclock, 2933 Memory overclock).
    It's really nice.
    with 39 ai at Poznan, phy value in renderapp is around 40~50%
    with 25 ai at Monza, phy value around 25~30% !!
    No cpu warning, no fps drop, just Good :D

Thanks Schnipp

liakjim and Schnipp like this.
  7. pedro m

pedro m Gamer

Today I bought Ryzen Threadripper 1950x....
    I'm curious how will run AC now.

Vel likes this.
  8. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

I have waited for such a long time that I'm actually considering getting an 8700K. :)
    Maybe we should open a new thread for that.

9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Me too, in my "Planning a new system" thread I finalised my decision to go with the 8700K. Currently it is the best gaming CPU in its price segment (below extreme enthusiast's CPU). Updating from a seven year old i5 2500K, also uograding from a GTX 660 to a GTX1080TI, I expect to see very significant increases - or I will cry.

8700K currently equals Ryzen 7 in multithread and leaves it behind in single CPU games.

AMD has an ambitious roadmap for new CPUs in 2018, maybe they will revive the competition again with Intel. But for now, Intel managed to stall their temporary offensive in this segment and they did so with less cores and threads. Impressive. Myself I will not wait this long just to see what AMD is upto in Spring and Summer next year. You giotta decide and act at some point. I want to get done before end of this year. Maybe already in 4 weeks. Depends on availability of the new CPU here in Germany.

10. MAUZERIS[LT]

MAUZERIS[LT] Racer

I'll be waiting Ice Lake
    :rolleyes:

11. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Yeah, not keen to buy a refresh of a refresh in the intel CPU range and AMD while awesome for what they have done just doesn't have the single core performance that sadly is still vital for a lot of things. Will be waiting for a die shrink from intel then evaluate AMD's competitor at the time. Overclocked 3930K will be perfectly fine until then I think. I goth that CPU end of 2011 and it's still going strong

12. Whitestar

Whitestar Hardcore Simmer

I'll probably end up bying a new CPU in 2030...

13. ....and the base clock speed will still be around 4Ghz.

Whitestar and Serge M like this.
  14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

There will always come a nother CPU after that future CPU. Best advise is to simply buy when you must, more or less. A few weeks of waiting for that new CPU coming, like I waited for the 8700 in the past 4 weeks, is okay. Endless months and years - no use in waiting. You buy when you must, when your old system breaks, your old system cannot handle your software needs anymore. In racing, my old system scratches its limits, AC pushes it to that, absolutely, it started half the way through its 15 upgrades. Also, the hardware dies, I get more and more haunted by according symptoms. I MUST buy now, in the imminent future.

Georg Siebert likes this.
  15. konnos

konnos Simracer

Which games are those exactly? :p

16. haxxx

haxxx Simracer

Let me tell you something that may help you purchasing your new system.

Coffee lake is able to match multithreaded performance of ryzen 7 only because of clock speed advantage but that doesn't mean the i7 is going to perform like an 8c/16t in every application. Unfortunately today too many applications still rely on clock speed and single core performance but still there are and there will be many more well multithreaded application in future also that will benefit the extra cores/threads and that makes ryzen a more future proof CPU.

Intel is well know for its support on motherboards and purchasing an i7 means that in 2 years if you want to upgrade your system, you will be forced to spend money on another motherboard as well. AM4 boards are supported for 4 years and any ryzen user will be able to change his cpu with a better performer one and this is worth considering.

Another major important thing is that unless you are playing at 1080p resolution at high refresh rate like 144 hz and beyond, your 8700k plus 1080ti is a waste of money because intel is a good purchase only if you are going to play at that resolution or with a virtual reality headset.

At 1440p and 4k intel and ryzen are equal because these resolutions start to be more gpu bound. So doing some math, if you play on higher resolution than 1080p and you use your pc mostly for gaming, even a ryzen 1600 is on par with the 8700k and we are talking about almost 200 € of difference in price only for the CPU and another 100 € for the motherboard. That's 300 € saved for the same performance and a longer support for the am4 socket.

If you do also heavy multitasking like streaming/gaming at the same time, video editing and other stuff, ryzen 1700 is a good alternative and still makes you save almost 200€ on cpu+mobo combo.

So, summarizing up, intel if you play 1080p high refresh rate or a lot of VR and ryzen 6 or 7 for 1440p and beyond.

Red Or Dead likes this.
  17. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I indeed plan for VR headset.

Regarding the other points mentuioned, I care for the net effect at the end. Smooth frames, some reserves for the chnages of the coming four years, and then living with it another ofur years. I focus on older simulators which do not make much use of HT at all, so single core püerformance is important for me. And VR.

There are many reviews out there by now, and lab tests. The cPU scores extrenely well, quite some reviewer argues that it is the best CPU Intel has given to gamers since several years, it simply is well balanced .

I gave this one as an exmaple, its just one standing for many others.

http://techreport.com/review/32642/intel-core-i7-8700k-cpu-reviewed/16

18. Vel

Vel Simracer

There is a Nords 108 cars on track mod which expands the max grid / AI count.

With your 1950x, how many cars can you fit onto the 108 mod track?
    What other hardware (memory/gfx card) are you using?

19. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

The next CPU I will buy it will be the best CPU on benchmark on Assetto Corsa 2.

I dont have problems with micro stutering issues on other games. But for me, on Assetto Corsa I want to have the best experience. And I use a 144 hz monitor, so, a good CPU is a must.

I have now a i7 4790k and it is a good CPU for AC 1. When the AC 2 launch I will wait the first benchmarks and buy the better CPU for AC 2. Probably, I will stay with this CPU for a long time.

We dont know yet if AC 2 will use a new engine, use how many cores or will require extreme high value on IPC.

20. Skybird

Skybird Alien

It better does. Else no multiple light sources: and then no reasonable night scenarios.

What indeed we do not know is whether there even will be an AC2. : But I strongly assume there will be one.