1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Anyone notices the tyres sink into asphalt?

Discussion in 'PlayStation 4 Discussions' started by LotusTeam, Sep 13, 2016.

1. LotusTeam

LotusTeam Gamer

I'm on ps4 version, is it the same on PC graphics?

If Kunos wants to describe how the tyres' shape change with the air pressure and mass of the car body, they must have exaggerated the phenomenon...or the tyres are air-leaking or broken...

Ravellron likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone else notice pink (missing textures) and street lights at Monza turning off as you pass them?? Dec 19, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Clear Calibration software logitech - anyone have this? Oct 2, 2023
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions DLC Issues on PS5 that were not an Issue on PS4,,, Can anyone help/answer reach out Dec 9, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Anyone find there is big "depression" on the track in Zandvoort, at this point!!! Jul 5, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone have experienced the same glitch? Apr 27, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Has anyone got the TMX wheel to work in the game yet? Apr 2, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Has anyone been able to use the extra buttons on fanatec gt3 v2 rim or similar? Jan 4, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Anyone feel the FFB in ACC is not as sharp as AC? Is Kunos aware of this? [Nope, never heard] Nov 10, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions anyone ever try the DJI FPV goggles with console gameplay? Jun 27, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Are you anyone driving BMW M6 in ACC? Apr 4, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone done this? Feb 6, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone use a Shifter? Feb 5, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality RTX 3090 SLI for VR ? Anyone tried ? Dec 12, 2020
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Tyres - Anyone have the realistic F1 1990's qualifyers? Dec 4, 2020

3. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

The physics engine calculates tire flex and expansion whereas the graphics engine does not. That means there are some situations where the two are 'misaligned.' I can't say for certain that's what's happening in your particular case because you didn't describe a particular case, but it *is* a thing.

It's also possible for that to happen when the tire size does not match up between the model and the physics files. If that's what's happening here it's worth reporting as a bug - so a bit of detail might be worth collecting. :)

(Was going to suggest a quick screenshot, but... I'm guessing you can't do that in the PS4 version?)

Skemekos123 likes this.
  4. LotusTeam

LotusTeam Gamer

Thanks for the comment. However, I don't think it is a particular case, actually they are cases all over the place. See attached photos captured on PS4 gameplay

gregOr1971 and aphidgod like this.
  5. NightEye

NightEye Alien

I ditto what aphidgod said. You can see the physics side of things working if you change the tyre pressure. You'll notice the wheels "rise".
    It's a trade off. It's not hard to deform them graphically, but it requires more computing power. The computing power they save by not representing this (IMO, small) effect, they can use to get the physics side to work as detailed as they want. It might not be 1:1, but that's how I see these trade offs :)

EDIT:
    Here's a video showing only a small portion of one of the dev apps for tyres. It's the best I could find:
    Bare in mind, this graph and a few dozen others are calculated 300 times per second for each tyre to simulate flex, compression, etc etc.

Skemekos123 and aphidgod like this.
  6. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

I stand corrected on the screenshots. Nice. :)

I'd guess that your examples bear out my first diagnosis. Odds of *all* those cars (and more) having mis-matched tire sizes are remote. Much more likely to be an engine thing - common to all cars - in which case I'm pretty certain it's just tires flexing under load while not being represented graphically.

LotusTeam likes this.
  7. LotusTeam

LotusTeam Gamer

So you mean it IS a problem, but it can't be resolved by the physics engine or by the ps4 system power at the moment?

8. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

No, the physics engine is prioritized above the graphics so *that's* what is working properly. It's only the visuals that are incorrect.

And it's exactly the same on PC. (I'd like it too, but I agree that FPS and physics are more important than small visual details.)

Edit: Remember that the PC version must be playable on a variety of systems... some vastly more powerful than a console and others... not as much. ;)

9. LotusTeam

LotusTeam Gamer

Yup I do not question the physics engine of AC, it is far more superior than many other race sim titles without question, what I meant is that if the physics engine is also responsible for the visual work of the gameplay and apparently now they do not align, the algorithm of that "internal calculation --> Visual" thing should be tackled in a better way in the future, or...may be in AC2....it's the same thing they can't alter more than 1 light source by now using the current engine, no night racing (meaning no 24h endurance online) at the moment

10. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

We're passing into territory where I can't be much help, here... but no, the physics engine is not responsible for the graphics. Some (most) of what's going on in the physics is represented graphically, but not all. As for why and whether or not it can happen in the future, you'll need official word on that. I'm just a physics modder who's spent a lot of time inside the tire files over the last couple years and recognized the issue you were having. :)

(My XJ13 mod uses very expansive vintage tires and at high speed it appears to float above the track. You just have to live with it... )

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  11. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Also remember that the car is driving on a more detailed, invisible "track" than the visual representation of it. all the laserscanned bumps and undulations are on a "physics mesh" that is more detailed than the graphical mesh you can see on screen. So, there might be a bump in some spots that the graphics don't show. That bump will also compress the tire physically but not graphically, compounding the "issue".

12. Nao

Nao Alien

Ha i've noticed that "issue" on some console videos already (PC only driver here) and it looks to me like the physics and visual mesh on consoles is a bit farther apart in some places, especially on nordschleife... it might be a leftover issue after optimizations - physics mesh is likely the same but if the visual has less polyglons in some places then probably it had to be raised to avoid cars floating in air on bumps that were visually smoothed, which makes it sink more into the smoothed dips.

Plus, if we look closely at the images above (3rd post) MP12C the tyres are not really sinking into the ground, but rather into the skid marks which are quite a bit higher than normal, and similarly on second E30 image and z4 one it's more like a sinking into shadow problem. Skidmarks/shadows are another area that most likely have been the target of optimization, and that would require another increase in margins between layers to avoid clipping so skid/shadow marks were probably raised a bit too.
    Welp, Nordschleife itself when released on PC was the most demanding track of all and received some optimizations later, so it's very likely quite a bit of additional work was put to make it drivable on consoles :p.

aphidgod likes this.
  13. matt5687

matt5687 Racer

Noticed this too and wondered if it was a common thing. It's a shame because the replays are the best I've seen and this small thing does detract from how realistically the car reacts with the road when watching.

It is as said above, like the car is driving on a surface that is slightly below the actual tarmac and appears as a sort of fog or mist half way up the tyre wall. It's most noticeable when watching a close up of the car using the slow motion feature, and it would be great if it was something that could be patched.

14. NightEye

NightEye Alien

That "mist" cannot be patched. Atleast, not without a huge amount of work. They are the skidmarks and sit above the tarmac to prevent Z flickering. If you bring them closer (or onto the actual tarmac), things will look bad very quickly.

On close ups it indeed doesn't look very pretty. But I'd still rather have flexing wings or chassis to watch on replays :)

15. matt5687

matt5687 Racer

Is this effect also present on the PC version? I have only seen replay footage from the PC version online so can't reall tell if its there.

16. NightEye

NightEye Alien

Yes. Both versions are almost exactly the same.

17. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Yep. We're all in this boat together.

18. L2D_Gopher

L2D_Gopher Racer

Kinda the same but kinda different I noticed that after the tires have popped the only thing that happens is the rear drops and sinks in the ground to @ the height of what would be the rim but it's only a graphics issue because physics for the blown tires seemed really good

aphidgod likes this.
  19. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Yep, another example of the same phenomenon. The tire doesn't change graphically, but the physics engine is still working underneath.

L2D_Gopher likes this.
  20. Yes lol

21. Ravellron

Ravellron Racer

patch 1.15 here on console and the problem persist