1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Generic discussion

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by bgil66, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

When did I say that the specs of the PC used for demonstration are relevant? Show me where I said that and you may just look a little less of a knob.

esox71 likes this.
  2. elchshooter

elchshooter Hardcore Simmer

What the hell are you two even arguing about?? Sometimes simracers are like pubertal cheerleaders...

3. Micii1

Micii1 Racer

My father is stronger than yours

4. Daniel Costa

Daniel Costa Racer

The 8700k sure, but the limited edition 8086 I didn't expect. This doesn't mean anything, its just boredom talking.

GRFOCO likes this.
  5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Can only imagine what would happen if they demo’d it on something like AMD’s new 32core/64 thread Threadripper CPU’s, EACH CAR NEEDS ITS OWN CORE?!
    Can’t just be the company (AK Informatica in this case) showing off cool systems it can supply to potential clients can it? You know, promo event style... That would be just crazy!

Kopiller and GRFOCO like this.
  6. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

...why would anyone expect them to not use the best hardware they have around to showcase their game? You absolutely do not want slowdowns and lag from your pre-release software on lower-end hardware while a public audience, including actual racing drivers, experience the sim first hand for the first time. How come that's even considered an issue? No reason read from this that the game needs that kind of hardware to be playable.

dajdosta likes this.
  7. Very interesting post from Aris (on FB):
    Aristotelis Vasilakos :
    The tyre model has been heavily reworked. 3 dimensional flex of footprint and sidewalls with specific rates for each axis that are also influenced by the pressure and temperature. Temperatures now have even more layers and even get affected by brakes heating. Pressure heat and wear do not only change a simple grip variation but also the actual behaviour of the tyre, affecting values of slipangle, slipratio, and the grip curve as a whole. You're not only feeling a different grip but a different response too. Tyre also has a different response depending on the different surfaces it touches.

The weather simulation is not a simple lower grip, but an actual water film layer with different depth. The tyres have algorithms that simulate the drainage of the water from the tyre, in order to keep the contact patch in..."contact" with the surface. If it succeeds, you get good grip, if not, the tyre "raises" over the water film and you get aquaplaning. That is what it makes wet driving so unpredictable. You don't have to deal just with a lower grip and that's it. You might think you got grip, push a bit more and instantly get a different behaviour on the same turn a lap before.
    Many more big and smaller details got implemented and this obviously makes the fine tuning of the whole system, extremely delicate, considering that the rules predict just one compound for all cars/tracks combinations.

On top of that we have a brand new aero model coordinated by Stefano Casillo and created by Fernando Barbarossa our new physics developer. Much more complex, doesn't take into account different wings as single entities anymore, but a single aerodynamic object that gets affected by flow, and becomes very sensitive in pitch and yaw situations. 1-2mm ride height difference can be felt by good drivers and makes the setup a very complicated matter.

Because of that, we had to improve our suspension model. It now includes variable rate bumpstops that I can set with extreme precision to keep the car from pitching too much. Also new dampers with proper graph curves and not just 4 values. The bumpstops are quite complex so we're trying to figure out a way to make the setup screens better designed for the users.

We also have brand new TC and ABS algorithms, again more complicated than the original AC ones which by the way were an industry first at the time. Now we control slip and slide differently and even how much the engine cuts instead of on/off situations. Those maps alone can change quite a lot the behaviour of the car.

On top of that, add all the different dynamic grip and weather simulation and you can imagine that the possible combinations and situations where something can go wrong are quite a bit. We are also working in a condition that everything can change from a week to the other because of new features added and this means we might need to re do the physics of the cars.
    Even BoP is different for each car and each track, and this is getting updated by SRO as we move from one track to the other...

So, I don't know where the 1.5 months per car comes from, as we keep working on all cars at the same time, so I can't really give an accurate estimation of how much time we spent on each car, surely Marco has this under control. But I can tell you that it has become extremely complex...

XorRipRip, dk78, Full_Ninja and 49 others like this.
  8. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Yeah but can you change simulation value in the setup options?

9. Turk

Turk Alien

It all sounds like it's going to be very demanding on my poor old CPU. Dear lord, give my CPU the strength to play ACC on medium settings and I promise I will sacrifice many goats in your name.

sissydriver and esox71 like this.
  10. esox71

esox71 Alien

Yes, now I'm a little worried! :/

11. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

4970K isn't that bad CPU? But becoming even clearer this is not just AC with better graphics. People going "Comeon port old cars" "I have GT3 in AC already" "This is just spinoff" "This is just money grab" losing ground under their arguments

Kopiller, esox71 and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  12. esox71

esox71 Alien

To be honest, I had my own doubts, But seriously......I had a dream.....

13. rycil

rycil Simracer

I don't think that the challenge here is the computing power but the algorithms themselves and real data to check that the complete physic model is doing what is expected.

And very good read. Thanks for the details on physics @Aristotelis !

Stoepsel, Ace Pumpkin and esox71 like this.
  14. What a f..cking awesome name :eek:

15. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

I hope he’s a ginger. :)

16. And I hope you meaned something like "Red Head" :D

17. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Well the Inglaise are not free of discrimination in their language, or in fact they where the utmost *****les after beating the Spanish Armada...

So yeh, red haired was the reference.

After_Midnight likes this.
  18. Tkeg

Tkeg Gamer

Will it be like in AC where every single car is simulated like the player's car? I'm afraid I won't be able to run more than 10 cars in the rain @SPA if that's the case, the model sounds very demanding on the CPU :( It seems to me it would be a good idea to only simulate the physics of the cars directly around you (let's say every car 2 seconds behind or in front). Or at least it should be an option, let people simulate every car if they want but I don't care if the car at the other end of the circuit is driving reallisticaly.

Ace Pumpkin and Stoepsel like this.
  19. Turk

Turk Alien

My guess would be yes. It's another one of their unique selling points so I don't see them dropping it. But I don't know what kind of optimisation has happened, for all we know the AI going through the Unreal engine will be less processing heavy than AC's AI.

They are clearly aiming for a very high end simulation here, we probably shouldn't panic just yet though. They've been working on this for a long time and luckily PC games are scalable, so I'd imagine even older systems like mine will be able to find some sort of compromise.

I'm going to have to upgrade my CPU/motherboard and ram sooner or later though, My motherboard won't accept a better CPU.

20. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Stefano already said that it will, and fired some shots at some game where the AI is capable of impossible things.