1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Assetto corsa vs. reality - lotus exige @ laguna seca! and now with oculus rift dk2!

Discussion in 'Screens & Videos' started by forkmeupscotty, Oct 22, 2014.

1. First Post!
    Here's a video of me driving Exige 240R on Assetto Corsa and Exige S240 in real life on Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

I only found out you can adjust the exposure level in-game with pg-up/pg-down button just a few hours ago..
    And of course, the official tracks like Mugello look right whereas the texture qualities are horrid on the Laguna Seca track I found online.

.. and here's a little bit of myself.
    I drive a 2008 Lotus Exige S240. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area allows me to take my car out to tracks like Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway(aka Infineon, aka Sears Point), and Thunderhill Raceway. I also Autocross in between where you race around traffic cones at local airports and large stadium parking lots. I think it's something like 'Autoslalom' as they say in countries outside of the US.

I recently discovered Assetto Corsa on Steam, after finally getting frustrated at Gran Turismo series for having ninety-billion and one variant of Civics and showing little love for small manufacturers. That's a bit harsh and cliche, and it's more like GT didn't offer cars that interested me. I gravitated towards GranTurismo series for my need for speed since the 90s. Tried a bit of Forza Motorsport at some point, but felt like the physics was a bit too forgiving in my personal opinion. Live for Speed and various SimBin games felt right, but the gameplay felt 'clunky' and incomplete. I wanted something that looked as close to reality as possible and drove as close to reality as possible. Of course, it's a work-in-progress for everyone as they sometimes get some things right but other things wrong. They're usually the case of feeling right but looking like a turd, looking good but driving like crap, or looking unrealistically too pretty than reality, which is kind of **** compared to what the graphics are capable nowadays.

So far, I found Assetto Corsa to be close enough in both feel AND looks. It mimics the feel and behavior of Lotus cars better than any other sims/sim-cades I've tried. Power-on understeer and lift-off oversteer characteristic is SPOT ON, and I'm looking forward to driving Assetto Corsa extensively to hone my craft. Good job KUNOS!

----
    There are some discrepancies details like the interior bits that shouldn't be there and the lack of supercharger white, but I'll talk about those some other time..

2. silicijevadolina

silicijevadolina Simracer

It's nice to hear confirmation that the game is realistic from someone who has the same car and can be compared to a game. Very nice you wrote your experience.

3. And now, with Oculus Rift DK2!

4. Freeo

Freeo Gamer

Nice mate! So do u recon that AC seems to be slower compare to real life? I suspected that since the sensation of speed when I drive at 200km/h in AC doesn't seem as fast compared to real lift' speed. Can you confirm?

5. I think it's pretty accurate, to be honest.
    Of course driving in AC, you don't feel the g-forces affecting your center of mass or your inner ears, but visually, I think it's pretty much spot on.
    I've been in some fast cars on and off the track, but you don't really feel the speed unless it's driven by an idiot. Drama makes things look faster. Good driving is drama-free.
    Movies use a lot of that to make things look faster than it actually is. It's usually done with numerous objects placed close to the driving line. It's also the reason why most karting videos appear fast, even the slows ones. For the same reason, narrower tracks feel faster than wider international circuits. Out on the track, there's barely any close objects except maybe few braking markers sprinkled around corner entry so your sense of speed is even less. I think crap games like Need for Speed: Shift appear fast because they like to clutter tracks with billboards and doodads everywhere.

Here's a video of my car driven by a pro on the same track. It's filmed using helmet mounted GoPro so it should be a fair comparison with Oculus.

I've already established that the AC's physics is good.
    This shows how 'slow' it looks on track, but that is just what actual driving on the track looks like.

I guess a way to increase 'sense of speed' is by adding camera movements according to the g loads, and even maybe over bumps, but I think that'll just make the driver feel sick because now the motion is forced on the driver. Humans eyes track and follow objects to stabilize image pretty well already. I think purposely de-stabilizing it would be like creating false sense of speed.
    But still, I feel that what you see in DK2 is a very good representation of what it's like on the actual track.

Freeo likes this.
  6. Freeo

Freeo Gamer

Cheers for verifying. Good to hear from ppl with real experience.