1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generic Best Console Platform for Driving and Toddler?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by iannixxenakis, Nov 14, 2017.

1. iannixxenakis

iannixxenakis Simracer

Slightly odd request I realise.

Thinking of getting a console for my family for Christmas and not sure which one to get.

Want something my three year old can use for fun games, educational games and driving games (AC and maybe something easier like Forza?)

His cousins visit a lot of they're older and enjoy playing AC on my PC so want something they'll enjoy too.

I've got a spare G29, pedals and shifter so intend to use that.

I don't know anything about consoles so thought I'd ask here as I guess some of you are parents too.

Guessing it'll be the Xbox or PS4 but also considering the Switch as it has Mario and Zelda which my son has played and likes. Not sure if you can use a steering wheel with a Switch though.

Any advice appreciated.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    XBox One Discussions AC best sim on console yet, but there's still something to do. Sep 2, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Fanatec Porsche GT2 (GT3RS and similar wheels in series). Settings. Best firmware and drivers. Oct 22, 2017
    Console Lounge Best Customs Championship Configuration Oct 13, 2017
    General modding discussion What are the best mod tracks ? Oct 6, 2017
    Screens & Videos Assetto Corsa: a tribute to the best game ever. Oct 5, 2017
    Suggestions Delete Personal best times at ones Aug 6, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Best mod ever? Aug 5, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Is it Silverstone the best track made ever? Jul 12, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Best v12 Ferrari engine sound in AC? Jun 28, 2017
    General modding discussion What's the best way to make a glossy looking surface? Jun 7, 2017
    Chit Chat Room where is the best place to sell Sim gear? Jun 6, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Best settings for 4K May 21, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Where is the best place to download new cars? (with working exterior sounds etc) May 6, 2017
    Suggestions Stop deleting personal best times in hotlap mode May 6, 2017
    Console Lounge Lap time post/best time May 6, 2017

3. moodyryder

moodyryder Hardcore Simmer

I think the G29 is only compatible with the ps4. Xbox1 has it's own Logitech product called the G920. I'm not 100% sure on this so it might be worth a quick check on Google.

Assetto Corsa runs better on ps4. Xbox version suffers frame rate dips apparently.

Forza is an Xbox only title, but there is GT Sport on ps4 which is an easier alternative to AC. Driveclub is also on ps4 which is very arcade but looks great and also will be available very cheap now.

From the criteria you have put forward I think you would be best off with a ps4. I'm not an Xbox hater, I have an xb1 and a lot of friends on Xbox live from the 360 days, but unfortunately it has had frame rate issues which is why I crossed over in the first place.

I haven't got a clue about Nintendo, sorry.
    @P73 and iannixxenakis like this.
  4. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

Drive club and the crew are probably your best options.
  5. @P73

@P73 Simracer

Yes, as a Xbox 1 owner I can confirm both of the statements above in bold face. Besides, submission processes with Microsoft tend to take longer than with Sony (both for PCars and Assetto, especially for the latter).

I don't own a PS4 to make any thorough comparisons, but maybe only the few points above are enough to make this choice somewhat easier; I'd definitely not recommend a Xbox 1, although I'm aware others may have a different opinion.
  6. Donnced2

Donnced2 Hardcore Simmer

For multiplatform games go for an Xbox One X, huge improvement over the Xbox One S and also a good improvement above the PS4 Pro.

For your wheel you can buy the "drivehub" adapter and so you can put any wheel on any console.

With Xbox One X you will have the best version of assetto corsa, PCars 2, and the good and fun Forza horizon3 and Motorsport 7.
  7. iannixxenakis

iannixxenakis Simracer

Thanks all.

My other half may have put the brakes (pun intended) on this plan now.

She thinks our son will never go outside ever again if I get him a console.

Might have to wait until next year :-(