1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Better trees

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mister dog, Nov 13, 2016.

1. mister dog

mister dog Alien

For starters, if you don't give a **** about trees (you're the "my eyes are always on the track" dude), i respect your opinion and to each his own. This to avoid the inevitable replies of that nature.

This thread however is for the tree huggers among the AC crowd. The graphics whore inside myself is getting triggered whenever i see Kunos trees. The track and tarmac look great, the cars and their interiors look fantastic, the buildings and surrounding artifacts look up to today's standards... but dammit those trees look out of shape a lot of the times.

Cross shaped uninspired trees that would look in place at a mod track are just way to common of a sight in AC in my humble opinion, so to touch up the graphics department updated trees at this stage of the game's life cycle would really enhance the overall eye candy IMO.

For example in AMS, a game that runs on a graphical engine that isn't as modern as the one we have in AC, they are able to make their trees look like they're almost 3D:

Stains, Sporadik, Diablo_rf and 5 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Tracks modding Better Quality Trees Mar 17, 2014
    ACC Virtual Reality Shouldn't I get better performance with this spec? Mar 12, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Better FFB in ACC for low-medium range wheels? Dec 10, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Do we have any better Porsche Cup liveries for single player mode Jul 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is the PS5 version better? Jun 20, 2023
    ACC User Interface Suggestion for much better replay- overview Dec 14, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality ACC in VR, better Win10 or Win11? Dec 11, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions AC was better Acc Apr 9, 2022
    Steering wheels discussions G923 really that better than G920? Dec 30, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Better Driver Rating System for ACC [Seriously, stop] Nov 23, 2021
    ACC Tools For those who want better FFB! Sep 25, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Which is better? T-LCM and Simgear loadcell kit Dec 28, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions I have Series X , now is better ACC ? Nov 16, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Better frame rate since GT4 pack loaded? Sep 18, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Which is better, dedicated button box or multi-func. wheel hub? Aug 31, 2020

3. Nobby76

Nobby76 Alien

Most kunos tracks use Y trees not X trees because X trees look so bad.. But there are several methods that can be used to get better looking trees.
    The big problem with trees looking so bad is because they are flat planes and you inevitably end up seeing some trees from the edge of the plane.

Obviously full 3d tree meshes are out of the question, as they contain anywhere from 50,000 to 500,000 polygons per tree..Trust me, having 6 million polygons in just a handful of trees is NOT good for Kseditor or for AC itself

My first try to combat that problem is to use what i call Star trees, its essentially 2 X or Y trees but one is rotated 45 degrees so instead of having 3-4 planes you have 6-8, which gives it a more full bodied look. I also don't use the same texture on each plane.
    I start with a full 3d model of a tree (consisting of about 400,000 polygons) and render at least 4 different shots of it (front back left and right) and you map those in order on the planes, so if you have a branch sticks out on the left of the tree, as you look from the front you will see the other side of the tree which also has a branch sticking out (but it's a different texture used) That works ok, IMO it looks better than a standard X or Y tree but it's still not great.

Another good method is something you can do within Race track builder called Complex objects, which is basically a hierarchy setup. You create a mesh for a main trunk, create a few major branches and then you create a few minor branches+leaves. The whole thing consists of maybe 8-10 parts. You can then tell RTB to apply the minor branches+leaves to the major branches (and add some randomness to it) then you apply the major branches to the main trunk (again using some randomness) and what that results in is a semi 3d mesh. And each time you stamp down the entire tree they all come out looking slightly different as the branches are never in exactly the same place as the previous one. So you can have say 50 oak trees all look slightly different, but they all originate from the same few basic parts. You can also then attach a basic X-Y tree to it as an LOD object so you only have the more complex version on screen when you get within a certain distance..

Here's the video tutorial on doing complex trees in RTB. It should explain better what i mean (im not great at explaining things sometimes)

4. mister dog

mister dog Alien

Nice and insightful post @Nobby76. I suppose that's the technique they are applying in AMS? I complimented them on it thinking they might be actual 3D ones, although that wouldn't make much sense considering the limitations of their graphical engine. Dev replied they were 2D but that they used a 'special technique' so I suppose that relates to what you explain here.

Nobby76 likes this.
  5. Nobby76

Nobby76 Alien

You could get away with a part 3d part 2d tree. Actual 3d mesh for the trunk and main branches as they are basically just cylinders, then like with the complex object trees, use a bunch of flat planes for the bundle of shrubbery on a stick (minor branches lol)

This is slightly off topic, well very off topic, but, i noticed your avatar lists you have P1 P2 and P3 packs did you buy the season pass, or pay for the packs individually? i would guess a season pass. I made the mistake of buying them separate as i was literally counting down the seconds until the DLC went live (and the season pass came out about 5 mins later) so although i have paid for all 3, i guess it's saying i only own 1 right now. where as a season pass could say you have all 3..

Schnipp likes this.
  6. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I bought the season pass and have also listed all three in my profile.

Nobby76 likes this.
  7. Nobby76

Nobby76 Alien

ahh ok that will be why then. It was something i had noticed the other day with a few users and knowing i had already paid for all 3 i was surprised it didn't say the same for me, so i presumed it had to be down to the season pass.
    Cheers for letting me know.

8. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

I don't have an issue with the shape that much, but the colors are atrocious on most tracks, those bright green rounded trees are very bad, killing the immersion big time.

Just compare the colors and shapes (RBR) with the amazing trees on VIR...

20161113183912_1.jpg 30571386066_393242c8d1_o (1).jpg

Blamer and mister dog like this.
  9. mister dog

mister dog Alien

Indeed it's a mixture of decent ones vs those that look out of place/ dated. I agree on the bright green ones, if you drive around Spa you have a lot of sections with ugly looking trees IMO.

Bright green 'y' or cross shaped ones:

[​IMG]

Unimaginative wall of 2D pine trees:

[​IMG]

And each time i turn the corner @ rivage, i get annoyed by this sight, both the ones that are placed on the slope that look very unnatural mixed with another wall of ugly 2D pines right behind it:

[​IMG]

They look like they could have come straight from the PS2 era :)

Boris Lozac, LeDude83 and Fat-Alfie like this.
  10. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

Oh yes, Spa might be the best (worst) example of that :/ Also i've loaded up Magione the other day, i haven't loaded it up probably since the Early Access, and boy does it have ugly trees..

I don't want to hate on Kunos tracks though, other then the trees they look great, and are a great compromise so that they work on even lower-end hardware, but i just wish they'do some tree update for original tracks.

mister dog likes this.
  11. Quffy

Quffy Alien

IRL Spa, trees near the road behind the safety walls are weird looking and colored like that. At least in the spring/summer, because only the pines and some others survive in the winter with their foliage.

Kunos usually needs photographs when they make a track, because the laserscan doesn't give them the real life graphics. So in terms of graphics they always base themselves on real life, but we know the game has limitations in terms of looks, mostly because of keeping the game accessible FPS-wise, as we know is possible to have games with more realistic graphics/nature. But Spa in AC remains a realistic representation, even with those small bright-weird green trees near the road.

12. mister dog

mister dog Alien

Yeah i went back myself and looked up some youtube onboards, and you have a point that with regards to where they place certain types of trees, they do try to mimic real life.

It's just that they look ugly :)

For example on that slope in my last pic, there are indeed smaller trees there that look similar, but they aren't as copy pasted and color wise they mix better with the slope itself :

[​IMG]

vs:

[​IMG]

Seria17hri11er and mESCx like this.
  13. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

This is where @LilSki 's idea for a variant of the grass shader (but for trees) would really help, where you could use a colour tint variation texture on the basic tree material.

One tree texture and one tree material, but a multitude of hues and tones :)

14. davperes

davperes Rookie

I might be wrong, but I think Automobilista trees are totally flat 2D planes... at least I remember noticing that on a replay when the camera was high above looking down at the track. That said, on regular gameplay they look amazing and you never notice anything wrong with them. They could almost pass for 3D trees.

That said I don't think flat 2D trees would work for Assetto Corsa because of the lighting. Unlike AMS, AC uses real time lighting, so flat 2D trees would end up occasionally casting shadows in the form of lines... not good

Still, I'm pretty sure the trees of AC could be improved. Just look at Raceroom... I think it uses a similar Y-shaped tree system but they generally look much better than AC trees because of the more realistic shapes and colors (and they even move with the wind). Also, for some reason on R3E you rarely notice the ugly vertical intersection of the different planes of the Y shaped trees, unlike AC where it's noticeable very often in several tracks and it brakes immersion a little bit for me.

That said, before addressing the trees I think Kunos should take a look at improving the look of the skies in the game... specially in cloudy/overcast conditions. They look way worse than the trees and pretty much every other sim has better looking skies (the cloudy skies in AMS look amazing).

I don't want to sound too critical tough because overall it´s still a great looking game with the best looking cars in the business, and if we look at AC visuals as a whole, I think it's still the best looking sim in spite of it's flaws :)

mister dog likes this.
  15. mister dog

mister dog Alien

Luckily us PC users can mod the clouds, if you haven't seen the G&B weather mod on RD check it out i recently installed it and its quite the game changer. But yes standard clouds are not very good either.

Basically the lower half of our screen looks great (cars, tarmac, kerbs and buildings), but the upper half (trees and skies) kinda screw things up.

G&B mod here: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/good-and-bad-weathers.11194/

16. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Part of the problem is the textures themselves. You can do quite a bit more with simply better looking textures. In order to make a quantum leap, you would need to etiher alter the implementation technique as mentioned above, or invoke some new technology.

There is also a severe lack of variety in the trees. On some tracks you have 4-5 trees making up the entire track, which results in a lot of repetition.

Seria17hri11er and mister dog like this.
  17. Topuz

Topuz Hardcore Simmer

@LilSki, halp, what ini parameter should I change so all my tracks have trees like these?

[​IMG]

LeDude83 and Boris Lozac like this.
  18. LilSki

LilSki Alien

19. Linus27

Linus27 Simracer

Must admit, I've been noticing the last few weeks how the trees are beginning to let the game down visually. Improved tree certainly would add to the overall immersion.

mister dog likes this.
  20. LilSki

LilSki Alien

The more recent tracks like Brands Hatch and Red Bull Ring have better overall tree textures. Spa is indeed lacking in the tree department.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  21. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

It's almost a game breaker now, those older Kunos tracks. I have been spoiled with great mod trees and more recent Kunos tracks. Nordschliefe has good trees, i would just copy and paste those to other Kunos tracks.