1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PS4 BMW drift transmissions?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by L2D Godzilla, Sep 25, 2016.

1. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

Why is the BMW Z4 Drift paddle shift only whilst the E92 M3 Drift is a manual shifted only car? Both are paddle shift ingame and the E92 M3 even has paddle shift animations and sounds whilst shifting with the shifter. It has made the Z4 practically useless in the drift lobbies as using paddles on a wheel while drifting is asking for injury more than anything. It's just confusing that it seems the M3 was converted while the Z4 not.

L2D_Gopher likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Screens & Videos Drifting Bmw e46 M3 Downhill May 21, 2022
    Screens & Videos BMW e30 forest winter drift run Dec 30, 2021
    Screens & Videos Bmw M4 Drifting with Wheel Cam Jun 9, 2020
    Screens & Videos BMW E36 Drifting with wheel cam ! Apr 23, 2020
    Suggestions BMW Z4 E89 Drift - Please fix clutch lag, after pulled the handbrake Dec 6, 2017
    Screens & Videos FailCrew BMW E34 535i Short Drift Edit Oct 21, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues BMW E92 M3 drift, no shift anim Dec 3, 2016
    Console Lounge BMW M3 E92 Drift - gearbox issue Oct 15, 2016
    Screens & Videos BMW E30 Drift (soon) ;) Sep 28, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues BMW E92 Drift not remembering Brake balance setting when session restarts Jul 13, 2016
    Screens & Videos BMW E30 drifts The Green Hell Jul 3, 2016
    Chit Chat Room BMW M3 E30 Drift Setup? May 31, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Bmw drift cars Dec 28, 2015
    Liveries Bmw e92 drift Nov 2, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Bmw m3 e30 drift without street tyres Aug 3, 2015

3. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

Would have thought the PC guys would know all about this...Guess not.

4. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Didn't you want more realism in AC. This is just an extra proper simulation of real life behavior just for you.
    So due to your whole attitude half of the guys who could answer this already blocked you in the forum, the other half simply ignores you.

Nevertheless have a nice day.

Dookie and Jebus like this.
  5. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Alright, I'll bite... although you said the PC crowd should not visit the console forums. So no whining afterwards ;)

Because that's how they were built. Those cars don't adhere to any sort of regulations for any kind of drift series, they just represent (privatly) converted standard cars. The E92 is a bit more converted with a new gearbox and a V8 engine swap, while the Z4 uses its standard gearbox and tuned standard engine.

And if you look closely you'll notice that the model of the manually shifted E92 drift still is the same one as the others, with paddles and the tiptronic gearstick. So only a physics change for the same model.

I cannot comment on this, as I'm not interested in drifting. Does one shift a lot while going sideways? But I can see how it could become confusing when the paddles move with the wheel. Being able to clutch kick would be useful I imagine, but then again, that's how this car is built, so no manual clutch to use. If you want to use this car, you will simply need to get used to it.

Yes, different cars have different stages of tuning. Just like real life.

So, the short answer is: Because thats how the car is built. Other cars are built differently. Choose the one you like, don't expect the world to change to accomodate you.
    If you think it should be different, open a proper issue thread laying out what you think is wrong, and why you think it should be changed. Stay objective and argue for your cause. If enough people agree with you, Kunos might have another look at this, but seeing as these cars have been the same for years now I wouldn't hold my breath.

6. That's crazy talk. It's very possible to drift it.

Is it ideal having paddle shift?

No.

Is it still drift-able?

Yes.

7. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

Oh so visually shifting with the paddles while i'm using the shifter is realism huh, lol.
    Oh that explains visually shifting paddle whilst i'm using the shifter, yeh the tuning, rofl.
    Would love to see some footage of you doing this happily changing gears with the paddles, you obviously don't drift or you'd be the same way. Oh well, looks like it's back to waiting for a sim that does it right instead of the Chris Harris lap simulator(can't even do that right lol). Good excuses for why it's visually a paddle shift but manually shifted guys, the brown nose revolution is still strong amongst you I see. AHahaha upgrades, ahahaha programmed that way, what the wrong way? Facepalm

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  8. AC_CM505

AC_CM505 Staff Member

Hi everyone... Just a reminder that we want to encourage friendly conversation here and any messages that are deemed as upsetting, inappropriate, rude, etc will be dealt with. Please refrain from getting argumentative with one another!

Redline Rossi likes this.
  9. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

Congratulations @L2D Godzilla , another user on my ignore list. You're number two, by the way, it's a pretty distinguished list. :)

10. No, its not the pinnacle of 'realism', but its the reality of the limits a small dev team has to adhere by.

Please use your brain; Sure, they could model a manual transmission, along with new animations to match, but is it worth it? To take time away from modelling new content, which is what ultimately brings new revenue in order for Kunos to continue this project?

In a perfect world with unlimited resources, yes, it'd be nice to model each car with different transmissions and animations, but really - is it a big deal?

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  11. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

Congrats, nobody cares it seems but you, I don't see how it bothers you either way, you're a pc player, you probably don't even have the console version so you won't be in here much or for long. The console section is going to be a complete ghost town soon due to the 'community involvement' looking about as average as the AAA companies.

I don't understand how it's limitations that one is incorrectly configured, it doesn't even make sense that they are both visually paddle shifted yet one is manual...How did they design the paddle shift one visually if they had a manual shift version or vice versa? See where i'm coming from? It's not a limitation, it's a programming error that is very hard to logically understand. It's a huge deal when it's not accurate to what you are seeing and when one is converted for whatever reason but the other is not and with no explanation. It's boring enough that there is only 3 dedicated drift cars why did they have one converted unrealistically when the only logical reason is it's easier to use and not do the other...?

Perhaps you could find out for us AC_CM505, rather than only posting when you feel like it maybe since this is a support forum after all is it not and you seem to be the only person connected to Kunos/505 that we ever see?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  12. Jesus, how hard is this to understand? There is no "programming error", its just the reality of resource management!

It goes a bit like this:
    Kunos acquires license of E92 M3, it has a sequential gearbox.
    Kunos makes a 3D model of said M3, therefore they modelled the sequential paddles on the wheel.
    Kunos made the animations to change said sequential gearbox gears.
    Now here's the tricky but, pay attention -
    Kunos then decides to make a drift version of the E92 M3, with a Manual gearbox.
    Kunos make the physics for said drift car, including the manual gearbox.
    Kunos, due to time/resource limits that exist in the real world, use the same 3D model of the stock E92 M3 for the drift car, which include the paddle-shifters in the model.
    Kunos release the Drift car for us to drive, we are grateful they spent the time they did making the physics.

Then there's you, who can't seem to understand the physics and model are separate, the physics being the Drift car, the 3d model being the standard BMW.

13. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

It's resource management to manage a resource you don't have? How did they program a manual shift transmission with a paddle shift car? Fake clutch? Fake gearshifts?

14. The resource they have to manage is time, money, manpower... These are not unlimited, therefore they need to be mindful as to what they spend each on.

Yes, they could make a new 3d model for a drift E92 complete with a manual gearstick, or they could use the model they already have which is 99% correct, and spend the time on more important things.

So simple, yet it seems like in your magical world you expect people to just pull complete drift car models out of thin air just to please you? Get a grip.

15. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

Got a grip, ok so the 3d model is paddle shift, no worries, why can't I use my paddle shift bruh??(can't wait to hear this funny answer...)

16. John Gordon

John Gordon Hardcore Simmer

You don't seem to grasp the core concept?

The graphical model... Which you see on the screen is separate to the physics model that you feel through the wheel.

So, its like having two different people wearing the same sweatshirt. From the outside the sweatshirt looks the same, but the mechanics of the person wearing it are very different.

Seria17hri11er and garyjpaterson like this.
  17. Wow, please can someone please explain?

Right, please understand, it doesn't matter what the 3d model is, it could be a bus, a plane, an f1 car, it makes no difference! No matter if the model has paddle shifter or a gearstick, it had NOTHING to do with the physics. Literally nothing.

What determines whether a car in AC is manual or sequential is a single line in the specific cars data files which says this:

"SUPPORTS_SHIFTER=1 ; 1=Car supports shifter, 0=car supports only paddles"

1 = the car is manual
    0 = the car has a sequential box.

You could have either of these values on any car, it doesn't matter.

Seria17hri11er and paul_wev like this.
  18. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

So you are saying that resource management would have been wasted if they changed that one line for the E92 M3, sorry my bad, but who looks like an idiot now? I'm dealing with amateurs here.

19. ...............

No, they already did change the line, they changed it from 0 to 1, meaning they changed the sequential to manual. What they didn't change, (completely reasonably, as I've explained above), is change the 3D model to match.

Is that clear?
    Do you understand?

20. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

But they didn't do it for the Z4...Maybe now you've caught up to the rest of us...? Then again, from how long it's taken to get to here.....

21. Ever thought about the fact they are both different cars? Maybe they didn't want to make the Z4 manual, give choice of both transmissions to the player for drift cars? Why should they have to be the same?

Honestly, you're argument is pointless, just drive it or don't, simple as that. No one is forcing you to like it, and you clearly have so many issues with AC one questions why you're even here - there'd certainly be no complaints if you weren't.