1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PS4 Can't notice much difference between slick med. & slick soft...is that normal?

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by LotusTeam, Sep 25, 2016.

1. LotusTeam

LotusTeam Gamer

I have been a console racer since GT series and last year (until now) I still play ProjectCARS occasionally, one thing I had in mind for years is that soft tires always have more grip than that of the medium tires, it does when it comes to Codemaster F1......

So my question is in Assetto Corsa PS4, I can't notice much difference between them and is now wondering if it is just me? Is it normal? Is it the same as on PC platform? Or should I change other setting of the car when using slick soft tires to fully utilize it?

I started testing it by driving an Audi R8 LMS ultra GT3 on Nurburgring GP, I did 2:02.406 on medium tires and I would say the result would not have too much difference on slick soft tires...that's weird...anyone has similar experience as me?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Anyone else notice pink (missing textures) and street lights at Monza turning off as you pass them?? Dec 19, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Has anyone noticed your best personal lap times are not shown each series Jul 10, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting A couple of things I noticed Feb 5, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Couple of bugs I've noticed Jan 6, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer just noticed this on the MP screen May 30, 2019
    ACC User Interface Minor things I noticed in 7.2 Apr 14, 2019
    ACC General Discussions YouTube Channel "GTWorld" is filing copyright notices for ACC videos Oct 2, 2018
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Server Manager notice when updating Mar 26, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Anyone that uses 144hz with vsync here notice this......? Feb 2, 2018
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Anyone notices the tyres sink into asphalt? Sep 13, 2016
    Console Lounge Anyone else noticed this? Sep 5, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Built for racers... but no one notices the FXX-K? Aug 19, 2016
    Chit Chat Room AI is noticeably better Apr 3, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Mid-distance texture differences – noticeable on guard rails and walls Jan 26, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Has anyone noticed any ai improvements in 1.3? Oct 9, 2015

3. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

I've given up on figuring out which tires are better simply due to this, so little difference.

Bibbles likes this.
  4. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

Agree I feel little to no difference between tyres, you either grip or you slide no in between regardless of choice.

5. myimac

myimac Alien

You get about a 3 lap window on softs. They will actually start with less grip usually then their optimimal, but after about one lap become super grippy. The next few laps may or may not be faster depending on how quickly they fall off.

softs generally are about 1-2 seconds quicker

6. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Basic experience: on a normal track it's in average 1s difference between the three compounds...

But with evolving tyre model (pc is on v10 for some cars) the choice of one compound isn't longer just a matter of race length. For example there can be track characteristics or temperatures which result in a soft tyres not being able to get in optimum areas and a medium tyre can be the faster choice.

So if you don't notice much difference, there can be various reasons:
    - driving aids: only to make the list complete
    - you're not driving fast enough (sorry fot that standard answer ^^): Nurb GP with meds can be driven < 2 minutes with the GT3
    - the car characteristic: the R8 is already a very sticky car, so you need to go to its limits to make it more noticable
    - your setup is destroying the soft advantage (e.g. too much wing): Nurb GP is a low wing track, so running too much wing gives you more grip you need

7. LotusTeam

LotusTeam Gamer

thanks for the comment above, of coz I'm just an average racer and by no means an alien at all, but i guess I can still figure out a rough limit of a GT3 car, agreed for Nurb GP < 2min is not so difficult (better say standard lap time) when driving a a Z4 or 650s etc... but with that R8, <2min? You may have to consider it again, I'm not saying it is impossible, the RSR world record is now at 1:58.719 on slick soft, and my rough testing on R8 was on slick medium (Default setup TCS off, ABS only), here I share my video of a practice lap onboard R8 GT3 with you guys...

So if you are eligible to run <2min with R8 with default setup, I would really love to learn from you! Any video you can share with us?

And back to the topic....can you notice the difference when you use slick tires instead of medium tires on Nurb GP driving GT3?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  8. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

You'll more than likely get a pc video comparsion which is not even close to the console version regardless of what version of whatever they are on so it won't be of use.

9. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Problem is the R8 is one of the GT3 cars I don't like at all ^^ But last GT3 league race at Nurb I did, some Audis were real fast. But we didn't run on full grip and temperatures were low.

And standard setup is the wrong way... When you'll adjust your gearing (cause you only use 6th gear in low rpm) 0.5 to 1s, tyre optimizations with aiming for 33psi warm pressure (I hope you'll get live tyre informations soon) will let you run a low wing setup (for mclarens and the audi 1 click rear wing should be enough) which gives also easily 1s and further optimizations to stabis and suspension should let you take parts like Schumacher S with more speed which can give you again 0.5 to 1s.

You're video doesn't look bad at all, sometimes to much sliding and therefor missing an early apex, but only a few mistakes (Dunlop corner and exit Mercedes Arena). You are already at the point where it's hard to improve lap times, because you try harder and harder but you need to go smoother.

Here is an old practice video I did for a league. Don't matter times, it was v1.4 I think, and temperatures were low, but maybe you can get some input where you can improve.

Good examples to notice tyre grip differences is corner 1 (the soft tyre can provide you an very early apex) and corner 12 (soft tyres let you carry more speed). But like I said if the default setup gives you so much aero grip with high rear wing it's hard to notice.

Talking crap doesn't help. Console AC is some versions behind pc AC ( I think 1.6 vs 1.8), so console could be compared to an older pc build because physics etc. would be identical. I won't say more about your comment, because everyone around here can see your attitude when watching your posts.

Jebus, mclarenf1papa and DrVegas like this.
  10. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

I'm sorry you feel i'm talking crap or whatever. UNLESS you work for Kunos, Sony, Microsoft or are one hell of a programmer you have no idea about the console setup because quite frankly nobody but them has access to that information so you're assuming like every other PC player that you know what has and hasn't been fixed as if we have to follow the exact patch order of PC which if you understood programming you'd know means we could have things fixed from the latest patch but still need fixes for stuff fixed in the first patches. I love that some of you guys come in with the whole how to get faster then give the same first day learner course that billybob random can make on youtube, yet don't mention anything about real physics.

FYI Lotusteam looks like he's pushing way harder than you in that Lamborghini and I'd guess he's probably faster in comparison, yet you bring basic driver knowledge to the table... The patronising condescension never ends does it.

11. Jaye

Jaye Alien

@L2D Godzilla when Kunos is saying that there is nothing left out or changed regarding physics or car behavior or whatever, than there is no damn difference and you can compare versions. Official statement is console version is few version behind and from some infos I bet it's one of the 1.6 builds. That got nothing to do with controller bugs, performance problems or whatever, these aren't affecting the core code and Kunos never would let the core drift away because that would be hell of extra work. And no I'm no real racing driver or race engineer, but he asked and I tried to answer. I really wonder why you think you must make a post in each thread with your bad attitude...

And because of all your racing skills and endless wisdom, you should know that "looks like he's pushing harder" means nothing to a lap time... Nurb GP is one of my favorites tracks and I love racing the GT3 and I'm always fast in that combos, so yes I think I can answer OPs questions.

@LotusTeam
    Sorry for offtopic, now a normal answer to your topic... I tried it for you: http://www.radiators-champ.com/RSRLiveTiming/index.php?page=rank&track=3289&car=2170

First lap was full default and first time since 1 year I used the R8 I think... Some minor adjustments you should do at least: lower ride height (I ran 55m front and 58mm back), 6th gear length two clicks down, wings 0 front and 0 back (the aero of the R8 is incredible). And the front stabis from 10 to 4, the default setup doesn't rotate enough andundersteers like hell. That's all I did to make a 1:59:6 (also with the default 30l fuel) in the second lap after the changes, with some practice it should be a 1:58 possible, even with non-perfect setup. The default R8 setup is not bad and with some minor adjustments you can already achieve a lot.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  12. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

So we on consoles can alter our % of grip like you pc guys can ? No I didn't think so.

Pc and Console versions are not the same not by a long way.

13. Jaye

Jaye Alien

the ability to change grip makes no difference in 100% grip on pc being the same than 100% on console version...

14. Bibbles

Bibbles Simracer

Can you please link me to evidence that backs up your statement that the console versions are running 100% grip please.

15. Nao

Nao Alien

Softer tyres usually have better braking performance and more bite on turn in beside just having more grip in general, although it never will be "big" change like going from street tyres to slicks etc. The time difference is probably ~1s per lap for one level of tyre softness.

One very important factor is temperature. In default AC conditions soft tyres will overheat slightly (even more when pushed too hard or driving with a controller) and the grip advantage over mediums will be almost gone. Similarly, hard tyres in general are underheated normally but that means pushing too hard actually increases grip and it feels like you are going faster (also making overpushed laptimes better) even thou the tyres do have less grip.
    For example on a track with a lot of high speed corners like Mugello, even in 26°C standard conditions, Soft tyres are better for a half of first hotlap until they overheat and from there mediums will be equal or faster overall. Switch to 15°C and softs will be that 1s quicker as advertised (even thou they will still overheat in places).

Also that RSR record at nurbs is still slow, i would not be surprised if an alien beat it on completely stock setup (including medium tyres)*.
    The harsh truth is that with the difference between the tyre compounds being roughly ~1s, you have to either be close to maximum performance or very consistent in driving to really feel it on corner to corner basis and it's gets blurrier the farther you are from that limit.

As for tips: Braking points are good but cornering speed are too low - turn in earlier and carry more speed. Also you are way too late on throttle. Clean this two points out and you should get below 2minutes :). From there it's, lines (needs more precision), pedalwork (to get the most out of the tyres) that further increases cornering speed.

* - (PC driver here) I can almost match the RSR on stock setup with soft tyres, while my gap to true aliens is still 1-1.5s in gt3's. Unfortunately nowadays often top times there aren't a good representation of what's possible anymore.
    ps: As for the difference between PC and console, afaik the gt3 tyres had been left unchanged for the longest time, so most likely console cars are on the same rubber as PC for now, maybe minus a global fix here and there which should be worth no more than ~1 second.

Jaye likes this.
  16. Jaye

Jaye Alien

Shouldn't it be visible from ingame pit how much grip the track has got? Hotlap default track condition is optimum and OP didn't say he changed something and his video (especially his Dunlop mistake) looks like 100% grip to me, because he wouldn't be able to stay on track with this line at let's say 96% or 97% grip.

Softs are around 1s faster at Nurb GP, that's less than one tenth per corner. When your corner speed isn't fast enough you won't notice a difference, when the setup doesn't let the car rotate enough you won't notice a difference, when your aero gives you much more grip than needed you won't notice a difference.

17. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

Pretty sure it says it on the race results screen (will double check later but I know it's there somewhere). Always 100%, then below it the track temp.

Jaye and Bibbles like this.
  18. LotusTeam

LotusTeam Gamer

Thanks Jaye! That's something to learn from your setup advice! And I really don't know what happened in this forum some guys suddenly turned agressively to some topics or some idea from other people, I am just a console player passing by the forum and don't want people to argue because of my question or something else.....

19. LotusTeam

LotusTeam Gamer

Thanks for the tips but I still doubt that a default setup of R8 with slick medium can beat RSR record, you should try sometimes^^ I can easily do 1'58 even 1'57 on Lambo, BMW or McLaren, but I have to say that R8 LMS is way too weak at its factory state, Kunos should check it out again and may be they would buff it later

20. TeKnO-_-91

TeKnO-_-91 Racer

L2DGodzilla is poison to these forums and threads. MOVE ON CHAP!

21. L2D Godzilla

L2D Godzilla Racer

Care to explain the relation in ambient temperature to track temperature ON CONSOLE? Care to explain the discrepancy in game time vs real time? How about the FPS? The tuning limitation differences maybe?

I'm not trying to be aggressive, i'm just once again pointing out the fact that whatever PC users produce for evidence is not relevant to the console version for multiple logical reasons:
    1. Most have not played the console version and are basing their assumptions on the PC version.
    2. They're not Kunos, 505games, MS or PS developers so they have no access to the data unless they've cracked the decryption themselves(unlikely).
    3. Others who have played both have said they feel quite different which could be based on many factors that even KS, 505, MS or PS are not even aware of yet.