1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Customized skins in multiplayer: Possible! Possible?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Guidofoc, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

A few months ago the guys on SRS (www.simracingsystem.com) launched an app that allows you to upload your customized skin before a multiplayer race on their platform and - tada! - the other players will see it!
    http://www.simracingsystem.com/showthread.php?tid=736

The thing requires a little bit of work though: after putting your customized skin in a folder with your name into the car's skins folder, you have to get on the track before the race, activate the app, the skin gets uploaded, then exit and enter the server again, and it's done. If I understand well, the skin is kept for the future races. The skin folder size must not exceed 10 MB if i read well. The other skins are downloaded before the race, then you have to exit and re-enter the server to see them.

Really great job, which makes SRS even more fun than it was already. And of course it suits well a "semi-league" service like SRS.

Now, about my idea:
    I find myself spending more and more time driving street cars on the twisty road of Pacific Coast. Amazing drive, try a supercar on street tires and no TC! A few times I did that in multiplayer (search for "pacific" servers). One thing that I would love to do on that road is a good police chase a'la Need for Speed hot pursuit or similar. At the moment it is impossible because no official AC car has a "police" skin.

It would work if the server admin of a public server could be able to assign custom skins to the cars and then have them automatically downloaded to the clients who have installed the "download skins" app. Ok, wait a second, but this is a piece of the SRS app which already exists! If we "take" the SRS app and we strip it of the first part (me uploading my skin), we have an app where the admin chooses some skins, then the app stores those skins on the server and automatically downloads them to the clients who have the app. When the download is done, it prompts the client to re-enter the server (or.. maybe do it automatically?).

I mean: making such app would require less work than the SRS thing, is that correct? And it would be still very cool because a server admin could do for example "F1 1975", find the skins, assign them to the cars and if i have the app installed i just join the server, start driving around while they are downloading, then automatically re-enter and see all the skins (maybe even keep them?).

So, is there any genius who can comment on this? Am I missing something big? @Minolin ? @x4fab ? @brioche ? I understand that downloading 10 skins of 10MB each means 100MB, but.. how do they do that at SRS?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC User Interface Problem in customized races settings Apr 7, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Ferrari 488 GT3 2018 skins Aug 24, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game allows me to create skins with an empty team name [exercise self-control] Apr 17, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Leo Sousa - Hotlaps, Setups, Track Guide, Prime Skins, Coaching and Tips Dec 2, 2021
    General modding discussion Skins global server Aug 1, 2021
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Missing Kunos Skins from older versions Dec 2, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Livery/driver issues on some 2020 bonus skins Oct 27, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Create skins on ACC Jun 29, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer In-game screen freeze with new custom skins in multiplayer May 26, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Why were the Ai skins changed for IGTC quick races/CRW's? May 10, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars skins 2020 without hihg beam Apr 16, 2020
    Chit Chat Room How to set guest and personal skins on the server? Dec 5, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars [FIXED]Custom skins not working anymore on 1.0.10 Oct 13, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Entrylist with original skins Aug 29, 2019
    General modding discussion I need this cars + skins against payment Feb 17, 2019

3. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

You might overlook the fact that only those with this app see skins then - if it's a usual public MP server most of the visitors would see white cars instead.
    Technically you may be correct, it sounds possible.

Also not sure who would host the skins, it had to be very strictly formalized and - in a good case where a critical mass uses this app - could eat some serious bandwidth

4. Its easily possible and I do this since ages.
    The way you've do go is replace the skin inside the original skin folder of Kunos. DON'T touch the folder names.
    So you can have the liverys of your liking, also host servers without any problems. You'll see your choosen liverys and all others will have the standart ones. There is no need for an app for this.

One thing you've to pay attention:
    If you do in Steam integrity check it will replace your changed stuff with the original ones by Kunos.

Greets After_Midnight

5. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

That's a nice trick but what I want to obtain is having the other players see the skins like I do. Basically when i join the server the tool should download the skins for me while I drive around, so starting from the next session I can see them on my car and on the other players' cars.
    I just install this app once, and it "listens" for custom skins to download.
    The thing is SRS are doing something like this already, I wonder if there is a way to replicate the thing in an app that could have a server plugin part for the admin and a client app for the players.

EDIT: I understand that a "rogue" admin could set obscene skins or similar kind of trolling, but I think that on a public server leaving this skin customization privilege only to the admin is much safer than having anyone uploading his own thing. SRS does not have this problem because you have to register to use it and use your real name etc.

6. fbiehne

fbiehne Hardcore Simmer

What about a system similar to Trading Paints which works great for Iracing? Don’t know if that is possible for AC.

7. Now I understand your idea but I would not use an app like this. Also with controlled by an admin I don't want to be forced to download stuff without any knowledge what will be loaded.
    Also livery wise: there are so many "wrong sizes" liverys all over place :confused:

8. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Now that I think of it, it could work the same way as sTracker/pTracker does for the setups. If the server uses sTracker and I have pTracker installed, there is a feature which allows me to share my car setup and get other people's setup if they shared it. I understand a setup is just a few bytes, while a skin is a few MBs. As I said, we could have only the server admin "share" skins and give the player the option to download them manually or automatically. It could just alert me there is a "Police car" skin for the Lamborghini Countach and if i accept it downloads it, or i can click "get all".. or do nothing. The real issue at this point would be where the admin stores these skins, right? as @Minolin pointed out. Well these skins for multiplayer could be even on Racedepartment and have some requirements, like max 10 MB or similar. The app parses the requirements and if ok gets the link directly from RD? RD people not happy with this.. maybe.

9. To share a setup is not the same like a livery. If you've the option to use a setup or not your decision will change nothing game wise.
    But if you don't want to download the custom skin from the server you'll be have a grid full of "white" cars because you've to select this server wise.
    So the app still force anyone to download these skin.

10. Turk

Turk Alien

How much waiting time would downloading and installing potentially 20 custom skins add to a multiplayer game? AC could potentially eat through hard drive space every time you enter a server. If it's not an issue for a lot of players it could be a feature that just annoys people.

I think with other popular games you construct a "unique" skin from a restricted set of images and colours so all the game has to do is pass on which images are used and where on the car.

I think it's a good idea, but it would need to be opt in and maybe only work with friends you play with regularly so you're not just downloading a load of terrible skins.

After_Midnight likes this.
  11. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I understand your points guys and they are very good points. The thing is an app like this would give the option to use customized skins on a public server without the need for the player to go search for them which in turn means probably just leaving that server for good. I know that customized skins do not add anything substantial to online racing/driving, it's just eye candy. Still, it's a game and we love skins. There are compromises to be made and well, it is what it is. Better than nothing?

In any case I have no idea on how to make this so :oops:

12. An app like this will NOT add this as an option. It will force the people to use the custom liverys. Otherwise the "KN5 skins" will fill the grid. :confused:

I'm really understand your intentions but the way I suggested will be the best way for all. Stay with the Kunos ones or go with the liverys of you're liking. Offline and online. No app, no downloads.
    Also everyone here have a different taste. So let the people choose their favorites and don't force them to use yours ;)

Just my2cents

13. brioche

brioche Racer

Hey, I don't have much experience with custom skins, but downloading while driving in mp and then reconnect mid game doesn't seem like an optimal scenario. Something like this would better fit a launcher mod so the guy could be offered the download link or download opt-in before he joins (however I am not sure if that will work with the current launcher capabilities and also considering that drivers should run the mod in first place).
    Whether this is an app or a launcher mod I can see this working for the members of a selected community with a common interest toward skins and not for public servers in general. In this case a Windows App to launch before the game to dl all the required mods and skins for the server would be more efficient in my opinion (could also include tracks, modded cars etc.) but also your case would do as long as those that run the app are aware and willing to do it.

Minolin likes this.