1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Did he defend well (min 00:40)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Rex, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Rex

Rex Racer

Go to min 00:40, what do you think, did Max defend well here or was he supposed to stay back?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Did the developer stop updating events on xbox series x? Nov 20, 2023
    ACC Tools Motec i2 pro software - track analysis didn't show up the track map May 22, 2023
    ACC Physics New physics didn't work for the BMW M4 GT3 May 2, 2023
    ACC Physics Did ACC get robbed of FFB dynamic range & understeer feel in 1.8.12 update? Mar 30, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer Disconnected | NO STATS, SERVERS| THIS DID NOT WORK: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?th Jul 9, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Did v1.7.7 or v1.7.6 Ruin Performance? Apr 14, 2021
    ACC Gameplay Multiple questions, and I did my search :) Dec 21, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Why the hell didn’t my game save?!!! Dec 4, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Competition history didn't update since 1.6.1 Nov 21, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Statistics didn't update (Imola+Audi) Nov 19, 2020
    ACC User Interface Where did my hands go? Oct 9, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer why do race result disappear as if they didn't exist? Aug 15, 2020
    ACC Screenshots & Videos depth of field settings didnt effect the game [Solved] Jul 28, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Ok...so you guys did it. What's next? Jul 10, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Did yo know? May 24, 2020

3. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

1:29 thats just blocking , he should get a penelty , really dont like verstappen.

mESCx, Emerson, Casper and 6 others like this.
  4. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The only issue is at 1:30 where he reacts to Kimi going for the inside on Kemmel and starts weaving, Kimi backs off otherwise he'd have been launched over the rear of Max's car landing maybe in the crowd...

You can't do that stuff in F1 as its unsafe, it'd policed by the drivers themselves really but maybe there needs to be a change to the wording of the rule book. Max needs to learn there are times when the guy behind is faster and tactically you have to give up a position, wether the stewards are going to make him realise this or a huge accident I'm not sure...

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  5. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

also at 0:40 thats just a classic rosberg , pushing him off track , he still races like its formula 3 , i think its a mistake to bring such young drivers to F1 but thats my opinion.

mESCx and donShere like this.
  6. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

If two cars reach the turn in point in an overlapping situation, they have to give the other car enough room to follow their own lines during the corner so that both cars can stay on the track through the corner. Verstappen should have given up before the turn in point because the Ferrari had better speed in the straight and he just had no chance to defend cleanly here.

It's because he brakes later that Verstappen is even able to arrive at the turn in point pretty much wheel to wheel with the Ferrari (otherwise he would have been overtaken before the corner). Because he brakes too late, he carries too much speed in the corner, and has to go much too wide to remain on his side of the track, not leaving enough space to the other car.

Very dangerous and unacceptable defense. 100% Verstappen's fault in my opinion.

Exactly the same thing at 2:20. Just unacceptable.

If you've got as much talent as he does at his young age and want to be a world champion, you'd better reach the age of 25 with no serious injury. You're pushing your luck pretty hard when you drive like that. Additionally, it's just not clean and you're dangerous for others. I think the stewards are too lenient with him.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    mESCx, Casper, donShere and 9 others like this.
  7. Maybe it is acceptable by the rules but for me Max is just overdriving the car where he pushes Kimi and Perez off track. He barely keeps the car on track himself and pushes Kimi off. If that is racing .. :confused: Look at how Massa defends while not pushing the others off track.

Really don't like Max either. Wish the kid would drop the attitude too.

8. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Alien

At 2:20 something similar to 0:5x happens again. For the 1:30 thing, someone report him on the minorating thread.

Ischemica likes this.
  9. grat

grat Simracer

completely agree with @chalminho . The 1:3o episode is "ok" on the rulebook, but way too dangerous for F1. But both 0:40 and 2:20 are not ok even for the rulebook. If you can't make the corner yourself, then your inside line defense cannot be considered acceptable, as by definition you are not leaving any space. Said otherwise: once the cars are side-by-side at turn in, whether you are defending or attacking does not matter anymore. You have to be able to make the corner y yourself and leave some minimal space to the opponent.

10. Haha yes. If he continues to drive like this he will be degraded to a W-rating.

sherpa25 and Minolin like this.
  11. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

Alonso said you have the right to do one move to defend in the straight as long as the other car is behind. So the 1.30 straight incident is fine according to him.

But is there not any nuance to this rule? If you're at 300km/h and the car behind you is literally a couple meters away, they may just not have enough time to react to your move because of human reaction time at this speed. In this case, is your one move still okay? I don't have the answer to this one. Does anyone know?

12. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Me too.

But he pulled these "stunts" in two sequential races now and the even worse thing is that he doesn't even care.

After the race the german reporter showed him replays on a portable monitor and asked what Max is thinking about his behaviour and if he might have done something wrong.

Verstappen then answered in a pretty childish manner that he doesn't care, he will continue to drive like that because it's the way he wants to drive/race.

Ace Pumpkin and cerebralvortex like this.
  13. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

The leading driver is allowed to choose the line he wants, but he must do that pretty early. It's not allowed to change your line as a reaction to block the following driver.

14. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

Actually, Schnipp, there's no such official rule apparently. I checked the Formula 1 2016 rules and they are silent on this issue. So I understand that Verstappen's move in the straight was fine and I think it's shocking. It's too dangerous.

Article 27.7 of the 2016 Formula One Sporting Regulations provides:

"Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason. For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’".

You can read the rules here: http://www.fia.com/file/40714/download/14519?token=aIudaF8D

I find it extremely concerning that driving rules only represent 2 pages in the 56 page official rules of Formula 1 to be honest. After decades of F1 (and dozens of deaths unfortunately), a dangerous sport that is watched live by millions of people should have official replies to questions like the one I asked. Passive safety has increased a lot since Senna's death. Driving rules themselves seem largely unchanged. They look rudimentary to me. It's like they're set in stone and no one is using incidents to make the rules evolve.

cerebralvortex and Schnipp like this.
  15. IMO, Verstappen let his car drift completely across to the left side of the track as he progressed through the right hander at the end of the Kemmel Straight (in both incidents at that location). Both cars were alongside each other, so he should have given the other driver enough room.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    cerebralvortex likes this.
  16. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

I like Verstappen but he needs to cool off with some serious penalties. I even blame him for the first corner of the race, he dived in way too late, even though Vetell is to blame too, i think Vetell thought that Kimi took that corner and line closes to the wall, he did not expect Kimi to stay there..

17. Mogster

Mogster Alien

The real danger is the weaving on the straight. The other stuff involves racing incidents open to debate, but the weaving is going to lead to a car going airborne like this...

That happens 2/3 of the way along Kemmel and you could easilly end up in the crowd... I think everyone wants to see wheel to wheel racing without the stewards intervening too much but the aggressive defending can't go on. Pick your line and stick to it.

18. Yes, that second incident at the end of the Kemmel Straight was preceded by a decidedly dodgy "double weave" that unsettled the driver coming up behind.

19. chalminho

chalminho Simracer

It took Webber only 3 seconds (I counted) to throw his steering wheel after such a terrifying crash! The guy must have been pissed...

20. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I think first time he failed a little when pushed Vettel? outside, second time it was nice racing, maybe blocked a bit too late, should have performed that slightly earlier.

21. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I guess this one was more terrifying than the one at Valencia.