1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Do i have to buy a wheel?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by AMTPS, Jul 3, 2014.

1. AMTPS

AMTPS Rookie

I have been playing this absurd game with one XBOX 360 controller.

Its fun with the the right settings, but it seems really impossible to get near a average player with a Wheel.

Anyone playing with a controller getting another impression?is it possible to compete with Wheel players?

Otherwise...

I have to convice my wife to buy this childish thing...:D

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Latest Fanatec drivers support old wheel and why I still buy Fanatec Oct 12, 2018
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Latest Fanatec drivers support old wheel and why I still buy Fanatec Oct 12, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions Want to buy wheel and pedal set Aug 3, 2017
    Screens & Videos Want to buy wheel and pedal set Aug 2, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Looking to buy a wheel Nov 26, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Buying a new wheel May 10, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Crimson Simulation: Great Way to Race,Test or Buy Wheels, Pedals & Rigs Mar 24, 2016
    Chit Chat Room BUYING: Looking for a wheel May 1, 2014
    Chit Chat Room I want to buy a steering wheel, need suggestions Dec 18, 2013
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Buy DLC for PS4 today Oct 25, 2023
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues an error occurred - please buy another game Jul 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Seeking opinions for buying the best Jan 22, 2023
    Console Lounge To buy again. Sep 11, 2022
    ACC General Discussions Buying a physical copy of ACC for PC? Feb 24, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality What VR should I buy? Feb 8, 2021

3. There are a couple guys that are crazy fast using a gamepad.....they are definitely the exception to the rule though. Sell her whatever bs it takes to get at least a DFGT and prepare to have your mind blown.

4. Festa_PWR

Festa_PWR Alien

You can correct a slide quicker with a pad, but nothing will prepare you for the smoothness and control you`ll gain by using a wheel, as long as it isn`t a crap £40 one with about 90 degree of rotation :)

5. If you look around you should be able to find a DFGT for around a $100.....any wheel cheaper than that and you are probably better off with the controller.....Don't worry though, it won't be long before you will want a $200 set of Fanatic pedals, a $100+ shifter, $300+ for a cockpit, $400+ for a new video card, etc......welcome to the club!

PhenOm, Dick Forrest, alex72 and 5 others like this.
  6. Nyowa225

Nyowa225 Hardcore Simmer

I just upgraded from a HORI EX2 (look it up, it's terrible) to a g27. The hori was fun but now that I know what a proper wheel is like I wish I never wasted my money on the hori.

Just save up for something decent, trust me.

7. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

I would recommend buying a used G25 in good condition. Comes for approx. 150€. It's better than the successor, cause it's got a sequencial leaver, which I dearly miss on the G27. A good bargain and great fun. Btw, I upgraded from a used DFP. A descent wheel that comes with silly pedals:)

Festa_PWR likes this.
  8. Deatroy

Deatroy Alien

There are a few fast gamepad player like me which can follow/keep up with Hany and Anssi, both aliens^^
    Still IF you can convience your wife, a wheel is way cooler for this game.
    I just need a few other things for the life first, but in 3 years atleast i get my wheel too.

9. Turk

Turk Alien

Yes, buy a wheel, do it now!

If it helps, having a wheel and spending a hour on the sim is borderline exercise.

While it's possible to go fast or be competitive with a controller, it's a much better experience with a wheel, the feedback in the wheel makes it a much more immersive experience because you're getting more information about what the car is doing. You won't regret getting a wheel. For the amount of enjoyment you'll get out of it, a wheel is certainly worth the money.

10. T'PAU

T'PAU Hardcore Simmer

You have to define Gamepad. With a usual X360-pad or similar I don't get any good laps in AC, you just don't have the "feel" for steering.
    It's a totally different story with my Namco neGcon. You can drive much more precise with that thing!
    Atm. I'm trying to get used to a Steelseries SRW-S1 (mounted/clamped to my desk), which is sort of a "inbetween" from gamepad to racing wheel. ;)

11. Stepy

Stepy Racer

Been play racing games over the years with various pads , games like gp3, gp4, rfactor, gtl, gtr, gtr2, pcars, AC. Finally bit the bullet and bought a G27 (new) for £215, i have no doubt it will be a VERY steep learning curve setting it up and learning how to drive with it. I just got fed up with a pad, i drive with no assists anyway so i thought to myself might as well get a wheel. Space might be a problem though...

12. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Please get a wheel, for your own excitement.

13. T'PAU

T'PAU Hardcore Simmer

I have reasons not to buy a wheel, which I won't discuss here anyhow.
    I'm trying to find the best alternative which are by now the two mentioned above.

14. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

OK, if it suits you... All good here and fare well.

15. Jeff Ghost

Jeff Ghost Rookie

So, since i've upgraded my rig and now i can play AC fine, i was thinking about buying a wheel, like the Driving Forcet GT.... Is it okay to grab this one, or is there another one better than that in the same price range?

16. ollybadger

ollybadger Racer

You won't regret getting a wheel. I could never go back to using a pad for driving. I started with a DFGT, was about £100, perfect starter wheel. I have a Thrustmaster T500 now, and it is incredible. Every little bump, rumble strip, engine vibration comes through the wheel perfectly.

There are two main types of wheel around these days. Gear driven and belt driven. Gear driven, like DFGT, G27, G25, tend to be a bit more clunky and rattly with their FFB. Belt driven, like the T500 or TX, tend to be much smoother and quieter (and more expensive).

If you race a lot, I would spend as much as you can on a good wheel. I went through a DFGT and G27 before getting the T500, and wished I'd just bought the T500 in the first place. It was £300, but worth every penny. Great wheel, great pedals (it also now comes with a brake mod that makes it more of a load cell brake).

If you're on a budget though, the DFGT is really good considering the low price, and it will give you much more enjoyment than a controller. And you will drive a lot better too.

17. offcorsa

offcorsa Simracer

hey OP, hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread for one question,:oops:

i'm running a G27, what would be the next step up from there. so many out there, what would be the logical next step

18. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

T500, unless you've got upwards of £1000 lying around.

alex72 likes this.
  19. Tberg

Tberg Alien

You got it all wrong buddy, you never address stuff you want to buy as "childish" to the wife, never! How did you sneak a xbox in there eh?
    You're 24, and already calling the rest of us 30+ year old childish? :D
    Simracing is a legit mature hobby, which I happily practice along with gardening/homeimprovement and playing music.
    So go get that G27 used/new, and start feeling the major difference in sim-immersion and control.

20. Jeff Ghost

Jeff Ghost Rookie

Awesome, thanks for sharing this.... But what about the Sequential Shifter? Is it good, or it is better to buy one with that paddle shifter like on the G27?

21. ollybadger

ollybadger Racer

The DFGT does have paddle shifters too as well as the sequential, so you can use either. The paddle shifters are more like large buttons on the DFGT, but they do the job :)

The main advantage of the G27 is the much better pedals you get than with the DFGT.