1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Does AC calculate the downforce F1 cars produce?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Schuberth, May 26, 2017.

1. Schuberth

Schuberth Racer

I was driving the f1 car on nurburgring and at about 200kmh I went over a bump and rear just entered into a no grip zone (probably elevated) and it threw the whole car. it happened in an instant.

at 200kmh an f1 car produces more downforce than its own weight. basically it should not jump at all at high speeds. neither have we ever seen that in f1. the only time f1 cars jump is when they brake into big kerbs at very low speeds.

so does ac calculate the huge downforce f1 car produces at high speeds? I am guessing not, because even with the lotus f1 when riding over small bumps, I hear the rev's jumping, indicating the tyres are losing contact for fractions of a second.

thoughts?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Track Rating does not reset properly on Nordschleife Apr 2, 2024
    ACC Physics Does ACC not implement real life braking mechanics?(Need some insights on this recent youtube video) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC User Interface View settings doesn't get saved anymore [A/V intervention] Mar 9, 2024
    ACC General Discussions GT4... but does the bop exist? Dec 29, 2023
    ACC Physics Asphalt temperature does not change tire temperature and pressure Dec 2, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Does xbox one version become x/s optimised version? Nov 19, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting game does not start or even launch Nov 19, 2023
    Physics Bugs & Issues Tyres doesn't change in pit Oct 8, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Does anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DDoes anybody know where Fanatec stores its brake settings? Sep 15, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Cheating, does it happen, is it possible on Xbox Sep 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Changing steer lock doesn't work with Thurstmaster TS-XW Aug 4, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fresh Windows 11 install and ACC does not start! Jun 28, 2023
    Audio Bugs & Issues Sound doesn't work on my speakers Jun 25, 2023
    ACC Audio Sound doesn't work on my speakers Jun 22, 2023

3. It does, open the Wings App and be amazed.

Georg Siebert, LChaves and Coanda like this.
  4. Coanda

Coanda Alien

As said above enable dev apps & check out the wings app. See if your diffuser is stalling ;)

5. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Hi,

AC has a very complex aero simulation physics engine. Not only it calculates downforce, but does so from different wings, spoilers, diffusers and so on. It also has complex pitch and yaw sensitivity algorithms, as well as active aero that can simulate blown diffusers, stalling aero parts, vertical fins and so on. From all of the above you can imagine that things are not as easy as they seem.

A F1 car has a very very stiff suspension to overcome the big downforce that can generate. The same stiff suspension though, can't always absorb as good as possible, all the track bumps and kerbs. So much of the work also goes to the tyres flexibility. AC calculates this too. The problem with tyres is that they act as springs, but have minimum damping, so when they absorb energy (i.e. from a bump) they also release it very fast without any retardation (no damping as we said). This brings the whole engine, drivetrain, tyres link in oscillation and explains the wobbling engine sound you hear. Keep in mind that the tyre doesn't only flex up and down but also laterally and longitudinally and yes AC calculates all that in real time, while you drive (and for AI too)

Now, on top of all of this, aero has a pretty bad side effect. It is very sensitive to ride height and yaw angles. This means that a diffuser can lose more than 50% of generated downforce in just 5-10cm of ride height variation! So imagine what happens when you go over a kerb and the rear end bounces up and down. You lose instantly hundreds of kg of downforce...similar things can happen if you drift the car (yaw angle). This is why you see real drivers driving F1s but also prototypes and GTs, "on rails". It is not that they don't know how to "drift" but they will simply lose tons of downforce instantly. Again, AC simulates all of this.

This is also the reason that such car need very fast "driver feedback". When the rear end steps out, you can't wait to see what will happen and then countersteer... you need to instantly do a very fast and snappy countersteer and get back straight again. The car will get back in line, but if you don't do it, you'll have a snap oversteer without understanding "why it happened"

Hope that helps,

cheers

Kyo, Ace Aono, gandlers and 67 others like this.
  6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Actually sometimes even before it happens. ;)

7. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

I'm in love with you Aristotelis ! :D (Even if I'm not fully passionate for those F1 cars or similars by the way...)

LeDude83, sissydriver, jarqus and 2 others like this.
  8. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Someone should do a compendium on how AC works and what it simulates.
    Basically just find all Aris's posts and put them together :-D

Cote Dazur, Opel-King and mantasisg 2 like this.
  9. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Eduardo AuKiss likes this.
  10. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

It gives error, @Berniyh. But I think it is quite obvious what you have done there :D

11. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yeah, searches have a short life. :(

12. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

Damn,
    I wish Aristoteles would have been my physics teacher in high school. I actually would have paid attention to him.
    And I have ADD...:D

Salajutsu likes this.
  13. myimac

myimac Alien

Can you explain in a little more detail? Your one word answer is too easy to understand :p

LeDude83, Nick Moxley and Aristotelis like this.
  14. KWILD

KWILD Gamer

Just curious, the AC physic engine can simulate the ground effect produced with miniskirts despite the most modern generated by diffusers (like in F1s from 1979 to 1982 before the ban)?

http://soundcloud.com/carlogosamo

15. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

AC does simulate small flaps (even moving ones in case of the Porsche 908), fins and other extra elements. If necessary the code was adjusted to take that into account.
    So even if the engine cannot do it currently (which I doubt), I'm pretty sure they would get it working. ;)

There is actually at least one car in AC that is said to make use of "ground effect", at least according to Wikipedia:
    Now the article obviously is about the 956 and not the 962 that is in the game, but the cars were quite similar, so surely that phrase would be the same for the 962.
    But I don't know if the effect is comparable to that of the F1 cars (e.g. Lotus 78) at the time.

16. KWILD

KWILD Gamer

But if I remember right, 952/962 got no miniskirts, I suppose an emulation of how miniskirts interacts with ground and bumps (with conseguent variation of downforce produced, a very well know problem of the F1 wing cars) needs specific (and complex) physic calculations, I don't think AC engine can do that, actually.

17. Aristotelis

The miniskirts don't do anything more than "sealing" the air in the undercarriage of the car. This provides a much more efficient ground effect result from the diffuser.
    To make an example, nowadays rules prohibit miniskirts, but modern cars generate vortices at the sides of the sidepods to effectively "seal" again the air in the undercarriage. Yes obviously miniskids are more effective but even with very restrictive rules, modern cars still are able to generate similar downforces with much better efficiency (lower drag). Also they are much less pitch and yaw sensitive and can also create on demand stall for even lower drag. All because of knowledge and simulation of air vortices.

AC does not simulates air vortices and air flow. It would be impossible as those calculations are very VERY CPU demanding and certainly not real time. But you can simulate their results quite good. There is still room for improvement, but we're getting closer and closer.

agrip 2, Glaurung, Cote Dazur and 8 others like this.
  18. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

Can't comment on AC's physics but I can comment on real-life physics. The vertical component of the reactive force of a tyre against a bump is proportional to speed. At high speed a little bump with the right angle can create huge vertical forces. In fact a large enough bump can create such severe forces that it can break the car' suspension before there is even time to push it airborne (car is sandwiched between downforce and bump force). To unsettle the car you don't need to go airborne. If you do a free body diagram of the tyre when hitting the bump, you will see that any vertical reactive force of tyre-against-bump will subtract from your available grip.

Again can't comment on AC's physics but here go some thoughts on the real phenomena. Following from the above, any change in grip translates into a change in contact torque at the wheel's axle, which makes its way all the way to the engine. A change of engine torque has to affect the engine rpm's in some way. If you could measure real wheel speed at the wheel, I anticipate you would see tiny changes in wheel speed as you pass over transients (if you sample quick enough). I assume the car's drive train does have a bit of slack (summation of little play in gear engagement, universal joints, compliance in tyre's rubber, etc) which adds some more to the rpm jumping when going through those transients. A good way to prove any of this could be finding a Youtube video of a F1 car passing through bumps at high speed and checking whether the engine rpm's change or not. I'm too lazy to look for a video right now.

Aristotelis likes this.
  19. KWILD

KWILD Gamer

Thank you @Aristotelis , I know what a miniskirts does (thanx for the refresh anyway) it's just for that reason I've supposed that was a lot of calculation and not achievable for that simracing generation.Many thanx for your reply and your hard work!

20. myimac

myimac Alien

Cars have miniskirts?!!! So they must be female.

I knew it!

Ace Aono, Neilski and LeDude83 like this.
  21. Aristotelis

In languages that have "genders" (and have some automobilistic culture), car models are almost always female ;)

Sent from inside a differential.

chksix, myimac, pavano and 1 other person like this.