1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Down shifting

Discussion in 'XBox One Discussions' started by Fa5, Dec 13, 2016.

1. ALB123

ALB123 Alien

Technically, the Porsche 911 GT1 is a ‎6-speed sequential manual transmission. I'm not a console user, so I'm not pretending I know exactly what's going on, but from my observations it seems to happen with sequential-types of transmissions, or maybe I should say, it doesn't seem to happen with traditional H pattern transmission vehicles (Countach, Yellowbird, F40, etc.)...at least, based on the comments I've read and the cars I've seen posted in those comments. If I am incorrect about this, I apologize.

2. Chuckstang

Chuckstang Rookie

So there's people on here who can fix the issue but yet no fix yet... It's simple let you down shift whenever you push the flappy paddle on the left. I don't understand the confusion? Any car thst utilizes the paddles to shift will have a huge delay while trying to downshift. I thought I was good by turning the auto blip and clutch off but I was wrong. I don't have the ability to take a video of the issue but I'll try and find a video to show the developers

3. Donnced2

Donnced2 Alien

4. rich1e I

rich1e I Simracer

So considering that DP is there to prevent you from sending your engine to Alpha Centauri, I think it's save to say it's not a DP problem, because the problem occurs even in the low rev range.

5. Hi,
    ('don't post in an ... bla, bla..') I had the same issue after switching from Thrustmaster TX to the Fanatec XOne Wheel with CSL wheelbase and Clubsport V3 pedals.
    Due lack of time we just doing some quick Races with friends in GT3 or GT2 classes after work. Well, with the new Hardware I quickly mentioned the downshift did not work correctly.
    It worked while pressing the clutch. I thought: 'ok, now I have three pedals but in GT3+ I don't want to use the clutch'
    Back to Assestto Corsa on PC, auto clutch and blip on, downshift works as expected.
    And so I did it (not the FRrankesnstein thingy):
    - Firmware Update to the Wheelbase, back to the Box. Same issue.
    - Switching a lot on auto - blip and clutch
    - Leaving game correctly (start, close game)
    - check again, downshift works well
    - enjoying the best racing sim, be happy

btw, at has NOTHING to do with any DP (downshift protection not what you guess)!

cheers,
    rené

6. Chuckstang

Chuckstang Rookie

No. So now what...

7. TheMiz44

TheMiz44 Rookie

My thoughts on this thread.

I have noticed an inconsistency in downshifting with paddle or sequential cars in this game. It hasn't bothered me that much because I am pretty conservative with my downshifts but I do occasionally have to click the paddle an extra time. And no it does not happen in a regular manual. Someone posted that it works as intended on the PC so this must mean the problem is for some reason due to the console.

My theory is that the problem lies with the frame rate issue on the console version of the game. While the updates have continuously improved the frame rate, it is still (and most likely will never be...) not on par with the PC version. I believe that the issue we are experiencing is because we are downshifting in between the frames that the game is reading. This means we are clicking the paddle, but since we were in between frames, the game never read that we clicked it. Now I am not a programmer or anything close to that, so I don't know if there can be a fix for this or not other than improving the frame rate. Now the reason this doesn't happen with manual cars, is because we are "physically" putting it into gear so the game is constantly reading that it is in that specific gear instead of just toggling a button.

In conclusion, I believe the problem is not the downshift protection and that it is actually a frame rate problem. We are shifting in between frames. Thoughts anyone?

8. rich1e I

rich1e I Simracer

I'm not a programmer either so I can only imagine how difficult it is to get the coding right 100%, and I think the frame rate has nothing to do with car mechanics, but with graphics. I notice most the downshifting issue with the GT4 cars. It's really bad with the Cayman clubsport and it also happens with the Maserati. I like to shift down quickly to reduce braking distance and it works most of the time strangely, but it shouldn't work. On the other hand it doesn't let me shift in the low rev range while almost crawling around the corner, so I think the coding for downshift protection is kind of inverted. It doesn't work when it should (at high speed), and it kicks in when it shouldn't.
    I highly doubt all our guesses are any help for the devs, because we just don't have a clue.

Donald_Trump2016 likes this.
  9. rich1e I

rich1e I Simracer

Someone mentioned it would help posting a video that shows the problem. I have a little video with the Cayman Clubsport at Vallelunga. In the first braking zone you can basically see 2 problems. It lets me downshift quickly from 6th to 4th, but then it takes ages to shift to 3rd. In the next braking zone downshift protection kicked in early and didn't let me shift quicker, which caused me to run a little wide. It really screws up my laps and literally grinds my gears :( I hope this a little help to the devs (?)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/rich1e I/video/25795794

10. Spitfire77

Spitfire77 Racer

Some cars do not allow downshifting at full throttle (IRL) . So if you are exiting a corner and you are in say 4th gear but your RPMS are too low and you need to downshift to 3rd to get into the power band, it may not let you if you are at full throttle.

I am not saying this car has it, but it is a real thing so a possibility.

11. mtbwa1

mtbwa1 Gamer

Anything with a dog box or an older manual sequential will not shift under load and require lift off of the throttle before shifting (but should require a small blip to downshift).

I have certainly run into these issues with a couple cars and I always figured I was just downshifting too early. After reading all the posts, I'm not so sure that is it. I have been able to adapt, but it seems more frequent in certain cars.

Spitfire77 likes this.
  12. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

Physics don't have anything with visuals/fps. Down shift is part of physics.It can only be "placebo".Even driving at 30fps physics won't fail 'cos they are not processed by gpu.

13. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

I'm glad I found this thread. It's most definitely a bug and it pops up randomly. I thought my shifters when bad, contacted fanatec, replaced shifters, and wiring harness on the base... a costly headache. It's still there.

After further investigation, once it starts happening I stick with it, and realized it's in the same corners, and it's very strange. Even intentionally approaching the corners slow, it's still there.

I genuinely belive it has to do with downshift protection logic messing up or a delay to avoid double shifting that gets stuck and stays stuck in particular circumstances and only effects downshifting. I've had 2 league races ruined due to this but those races weren't back to back.

I wish I could be more clear but it's random, happens with any rims I use but seems to happen more with the f1 rim (much shorter shifter throw) and it seems to slowly degrade. Reset everything and it resets the issue so many might not encounter this who don't run more than 15+ laps at a time. And I'm not sure a repeatable situation would be easy to recreate. The code just needs to be looked at or we really need a means to disable downshift protection do we can further test the issue.

14. I think that's maybe an only Xbox issue. Because some say it works on PS4.
    I know that even pcars had in the beginning downshift issues. But in that case the cars overjump gears mainly from 4th to 2nd.

15. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

I'm on PC...

16. falkeGT

falkeGT Gamer

Hello,

I came to this thread yesterday. I'm also having constant problems with downshifting as described above.

Sometimes it even takes 3 attempts to downshift, it's pretty frustrating. Sometimes it's only going down 1 gear, sometimes it's happening every single downshift from 6th to 1st.
    I recently had arround 150 practise laps laps with the Porsche 2017 Cup on the RedBull Ring, in every 2nd lap this problem comes up.

I'm using a G29 and I already solderd a new better quality switch on it's platine as I was expecting something like a "cold soldering point" (hope thats an appropriate translation).
    Soldering went fine but it did not solve the problem. I've tested it by having written a character into a textfile everytime I used the shift switch. I clicked the paddle 200x and compared it to the number of chars written to the file.
    Both numbers were equal. So it should not be a hardwareproblem.

After having read your advise to test an automated and manual gearbox car I took the Posche 2017 Cup and the BMW Group5 (1st one which came to mind when thinking of a manual gearbox, if I should test another one please let me know).
    With the Porsche I experienced that issue frequently but I had no shift wrong with the BMW, having driven both ~20laps.

As said it happens when not revving high (where I would expect a DP to kick in) but also in midrange rpms.
    It might happen on the first gear down, but it might also happen all 5 gears down from 6th (which means ~10 times shifting, I can forget corners if that happens).

As assists settings I was using Autoclutch turned on, throttleblip turned off (I've also tried with TB turned on, no change).
    Other assits set to factory default.
    Before I recalibrated the pedals to be sure the clutch is not somehow decalibrated and registers a maybe tiny input.

It's an unhappy situation for me but I'm still happy to help if needed, let me know.
    I really would like to to see a solution on this.

falkeGT

PS.: I just saw this thread is in the concole part of the forum, I came to this via linked from external, so I did not see it directly. I'm on PC though. Should I open another thread in the PC section for this?

17. vlado Cro

vlado Cro Simracer

Have to say there is issue for sure of some kind. First : Praga R1 ,sometimes won't let u shift down,even if u delay downshift just to be sure. Second car i noticed issue is P1,last night i done few laps and almost killed engine from 3rd to 2nd,damage indicator was out to. Both cars tested on RBR GP. And I'm sure its not to my driving cos how did I downshift early if DP* works like it should.(Both cars 3rd/4th on red bull ring)(rsr pro rank).

18. Lawndart

Lawndart Hardcore Simmer

I'm on PC also, and I found the thread someone else created that discusses the same issue. I've been posting over there because this would be much easier to troubleshoot on PC with logs and access to other files and utilities.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/downshift-problem.41737/#post-829431

Seems like this is an error between how periferals interact with AC (drivers) in certain circumstances since it's not platform specific. But wasn't as much of an issue prior to the last couple updates.

19. falkeGT

falkeGT Gamer

Hello,

I hope this is beeing looked into.
    I'm currently driving with 30 other ppl in a Porsche 2017 Cup. I've been asking arround.
    To us, it seems this is a common issue for people who drive the Posche Cup car.

After having a more detailed look at what happens the common sense is:

Sometimes, even when not in high revs it is not possible to shift down.
    It may happen, that if one shift down does not work, it is likely following shift attemps might also not work.
    It sometime ends in up to 4 tries to get one gear down.

Please let me know how I/we can help to understand this issue better.

falkeGT

20. falkeGT

falkeGT Gamer

Yesterday we've had a Porsche Cup on the RedBull Ring. 26 people were attending, all of them pretty dedicated to the game. The first 20 people qualified within one second.
    As all were together on teamspeak I asked again how many experience this behaviour and the response was:

All experience the same thing as described above.
    Can we please have a reply if this is beeing looked into?