1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driver Ranked Servers

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Winston, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

a) the iRacing system includes the subscription and therefore has a different budget
    b) AC has it's own history and culture
    c) if we never tried to go beyond our pioneer's ideas and implementations, we'd be talking about a horse cart racing series at best (but probably not on a PC)

Falling back to known and proven concepts may be useful, but in the moment there's no reason not to think and discuss out of the box.

GRFOCO, LeDude83, trucidatio and 4 others like this.
  2. Serge M

Serge M Alien

P2P is where you start a race and people can join your race, so your race is the server as well, people join your race, not your server and you don’t join anything.

Dedicated server is a seperate application. You can run it on whatever PC you like but you need to join it yourself still, and it runs wether you are in it or not. Generally you would want to run this on systems connected with a good internet connection as upload bandwidth matters a lot

3. anthony galmiche

anthony galmiche Simracer

b) AC has its own history and culture

I love this sentence

Typer likes this.
  4. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

its the most stupid excuse ive ever heard

5. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Don’t think it’s stupid, historically they have not charged a subscription for MP based on whatever beliefs they have about doing so.

Also as seems unreasonable to ask for the same as what someone else is doing but without wanting to pay the same as what that someone else is charging for their system

anthony galmiche likes this.
  6. anthony galmiche

anthony galmiche Simracer

Did you hear an excuse ???_:eek:
    it's time to wash your ears._;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  7. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

i never said anything about pay a sub or pricing at all, just a similar setup to iracing regarding organization, ppl have mentioned the pricing simply to try and discredit my comment

Naer likes this.
  8. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Well you missed the key point.

How many would be will to pay the monthly/annual subscription price on top of the base game to have such a system? Still it would be considerably cheaper then Iracing but with limited content in ACC will it really be a viable option?

I think it would be ok as I pay more to host my own servers anyway but would the userbase be large enough to make it valuable to the players if needing to pay subs, RF2 had some bizare MP subscription on launch while providing nothing in terms of servers you just paid for the privilege to then host or join other hosted servers. This actually turned me off RF2 back then as not only was the game mostly unfinished after the initial 12 months for all owners MP expired even though this was more like 2 years with EA. The MP was already mostly dead so why would you pay a sub for basic mp access with a small user base. There was an option to buy lifetime updates and MP for something like $100 instead of $60 with the initial game.

If not sub based what alternatives have we got that can get as good an mp experience without forcing Kunos to foot the bill which isnt ever going to happen on a massive scale like Iracing without extra user costs IMHO.​

9. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Sorry, that part was not part of the reply to you, just too lazy to seperate the msg’s :)

10. Typer

Typer Simracer

It’s heartening to know that the devs are listening to all our argumentative ramblings. The problem domain is pretty broad when it comes to MP though.

Minolin, are there any specific MP-related problems or questions that you’re currently battling with that you think the community can help with?

11. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Okay, thanks for the clarification, so I get that if you want to run a dedicated server in the true sense i.e no client at all on a machine the current method is adequate. I still think that if you are a casual player and very average PC user a simpler in-game integrated method would be better , it may appear to be P2P to the uninitiated but would start the server in the background.

12. Stereo

Stereo Alien

AC already has the iracing style MP system, it's called booking servers, they implemented it because people kept saying "make AC like iracing"... nobody joins them.

martcerv and Minolin like this.
  13. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

this must be a troll post

14. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

To be fair, you missed my point too :D
    When speaking of AC's own MP identity, this is nothing about subscription or not. It's about the community servers, the very fast paced style for pickup racing and the highly influencing plugins.

I didn't ignore the first question, just still thinking what to bring on the table and what not. You see, anything I say now can suddenly raise rumors or unfair expectations..
    What currently gives me most thoughts:

1) What exactly is the role of the few very succesful AC servers that act like community hubs? Examples would be Streetfight, certain Nordschleife-Tourist servers, or (going back in time) ALOOG-0 and TAM.
    I feel like those are more than just servers to login; each had their distinct characteristics and also a base of regulars that you get used to. Would we trade them even for a superb, but kind of anonymized system?

2) Totally free roaming servers, like no ratings active or any other integration. Just do whatever you want, like GT3 drifting, practicing with your newcomer-buddy or destruction derby. Is there a danger those servers skyrocket and have significant numbers, "stealing" people from the integrated system and therefore reducing it's quality? This may sound crazy, but in the end it's exactly what we see in PC2. No-rating servers all around the place, well populated (in comparison to rated servers) - combined with a ****storm about the bad multiplayer system. Same for MR in a slightly different dimension. In the end, even the guys who know that it's bad do join those less/not rated servers as they want to participate on populated ones; which makes the problem even worse. But with bad guilty conscience ;)

Both questions are important because of the number's dynamics. I created a simulator that basically recreates the dynamics with different join-decision and session strategies combined with lots of parameters. Even while the model may not be 100% accurate and (estimated) parameters are highly influenced, it is totally clear that numbers are becoming soo important. Unluckily it's even worse than expected. So by bringing options 1 or 2 (or both) and they remain highly popular, there's little drivers left for the fine stuff.

So if you want to help, stop fighting and move to those and similar thoughts, how important they are and if there are clever ways to keep them despite the problems and danger. For example one idea is to (highly) restrict the number of drivers for those servers, as this actually seems to be the #1 criteria for the stupid join decisions.

15. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Thanks it's really helpful to know what you are chewing over.
    What did you make of my 'more slots that drivers ' idea with MR managing the spectator queue order?
    You can be honest :)

16. Naer

Naer Gamer

The less options, the better, don't split the community, this isn't a massive game.

This is a game focused on eSports, the "AC multiplayer culture" has nothing to do here, is a totally different philosophy.
    eSports are not possible with community servers and of course with P2P neither. Multiplayer based on P2P is the worst option.

A subscription is not necessary, iRacing is totally overpriced because was the first and until now the unique option.

A server for Assetto Corsa cost 6$ a month, 32 players. Around 100 servers are necessary for 3000 players, I calculate for you: 600$/month

Now remember the feature to host races for 1$/h (the best feature in iRacing in my opinion), let's say 25 races each hour, 600 races a day, 600€ a day. In one day they can pay the cost of the servers for a month.

Now tell me why this is not viable.

Of course this is a bit strictly, the server pool can be managed dinamically based on demand, Google about agones (Google cloud tech, very interesting reading)

17. trucidatio

trucidatio Gamer

The "AC multiplayer culture" is what keeps me and my friends playing AC. We're a group with +-12 members and very few of us are willing to pay for racing. if you have to pay for a race (even if it's just 1€) they won't get the game. I'm pretty sure of this. IMHO paying to race won't split the community, it will reduce it.
    I guess kunos know what the focus of this game is. And the "AC multiplayer culture" has something to do with it.

18. Naer

Naer Gamer

No one is forced to pay, you and yours friends can race on any of the public races hosted(paid) for someone else. And, in any case, 1$ between 12 people not sound like a big deal.

Watch ACC's trailer again, this is a totally different thing, "Is time to get back on track, seriously"

For an online like AC we already have AC (&Raceroom&Rfactor2&pCARS2&Automovilista...), there is nothing like iRacing and that's is what ACC want to be.

19. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

It's an interesting conundrum and there will be many opinions on how to best implement a rating/safety system. Is there actually a correct answer?

As ACC is "The official Blancpain Game", the most fundamental part would be a virtual race director or clerk of the course.

If some one driving in blancpain starts raming all around, dive bombing and generally driving like a large number of drivers that MR has managed to filter from MR-AB servers, they will be black flagged and most likely lose their race licence.
    ACC should be no different, if it is to simulate the blancpain series it should enforce the same rules

(IMHO - but I have a low tolerance for wreckers and selfish/reckless drivers)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Winston, martcerv and Serge M like this.
  20. gandlers

gandlers Hardcore Simmer

I couldn't agree more, the lack of respect some drivers demonstrate is simply staggering. If thats how they want to conduct themselves online they should only be able to join servers with like minded disrespectful racers.

Wasnt there a game where cheats/hackers could only join server with other hackers? You reap what you sow and all that!

anthony galmiche likes this.