1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Driver Rating System to Be Included in Project CARS 2 - do we need it in AC2??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Diablo_rf, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

I would say this is more of an discussion thread, where we try to show to the Dev's what is happening in the world of simracing and what we expect to have in our adored game.
    I do think that some of them doesn't really know and didn't play so many games as we do, because they are very often busy with the developing most of the time (you know, game developers are the biggest nerds). That's where we come as players and can point them some good examples of in which direction is going the online gaming at the moment and what we expect to see as customers.
    As soon as we keep the discussion clean and polite, I'm sure they will look in to it.;)

2. jim jones

jim jones Simracer

The time is now to have a foundation.
    I keep hearing these big prizes for eSports competitions, recently Formula E $1m Vegas eSports race. wrc5 will have its own global esports championship. Gran Turismo will have FIA Gran Turismo Digital Licence which will apparently hold the same value as a real motorsport licence. Forza Motorsports getting an official eSports championship.

Rating ,Leaderboards ,Hosted events i dont mind, i say combine all.
    All i know we need a system that helps improve racing etiquette, rewards good racing with a global competition platform to race on .

MBK72 likes this.
  3. St3fan

St3fan Alien

This probably has been asked before: will it save a lot of cost on the dev side if driver rating such as MR data are saved (encrypted) locally on clients rather than having a server running 24/7 and in need of constant maintenance?

4. To be honest: I don't need such f...ing overrated rating system to have fun online.
    I've never understand the hype about the rating system of iRacing for example. Its to simple, to old and stupid in my opinion.

Minolin's Minorrating is in comparsion with this much better.

Just my 2 cents...

5. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

I doubt it.

I've never seen a stat system on any game that hasn't been exploited to the point that it winds up doing more harm than good.

Berniyh likes this.
  6. dad marley

dad marley Rookie

I like the idea of ratings. I do prefer a sim to have both ratings *and* tutorials. The old Chinese saying is "punishing without having educated is abuse". Since most (all?) sims on the market today don't have a racing school of any kind, if AC implements it then it can claim the spot of most accessible hardcore sim or something. It's important especially in the console world.

Perhaps obtaining achievements based on safety ratings would also be useful, at least for new players to build good habits?

Minolin likes this.
  7. You don't need a high cost server, if you process the data for the rating by letting the server that runs the race do the calculations after the race. Basicly you would only need enough storage space to save the ID and score of the racers.

You could combine the Minolin system with a relative performance rating, taking qualifing positions and race positions relative to others into the account. That way not only could you have an indication of how save a drivers is but you can also perform a matchmaking system based on it.

Edit:
    To actualy calculate the storage space needed for such a rating system you can look at how much data you would need to save. The base for the system would be the least efficient way of using three 64 bit values for the ID, safety rating, performance rating.

So the storage space would be 3x64xUsernumber.

For 3 million Users you would get 576.000.000 bit. That translates into 72.000.000 byte or 70.313Kbyte or 69 Mbyte

You could use even less storage space by using 64 bit for the ID,16 bit for the performance rating and 8 bit for the safety rating.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Now while a driving school and a rating system can be related, they can be independent as well and a driving school I would always rate as a very good idea.

Both to learn tracks but also to learn how to drive certain cars. e.g. the YellowBird on its original SV tyres could definitely use such a driving school.
    But having said that it's very hard to get that right, to create a driving school that isn't boring but at the same time teaches you enough.
    Well, we have the unofficial "Be like Marty" achievement for Minorating. For that you should get to 0.0 regarded CP while retaining rating A. :)
    It's quite hard to get though as you might have experienced, there is almost always some fool ruining the stats. :(

9. kakusso

kakusso Hardcore Simmer

Advantages of a rating system:
    1. Servers with drivers with similar XP
    2. No drivers disrespecting blue flags on higher XP servers
    3. Reduced first corner incidents
    4. Better matched competition with more passionate fights
    5. Less propensity for high risk manouvres like extreme late braking that translates into dive bombing
    6. Reward by seeing your XP progression or the opposit when it decreases
    7. Server access based on XP, MR, etc.
    8. Notions of progress, merit and honor, (maybe going too far)
    9. Best compromise between leagues an spontaneous multiplayer
    10. Less disappointed new players as they wold know that higher XP servers means less incidents
    XP = x(MR) + y(Race Position) or some other equation with those variables

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  10. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Sorry, this is nonsense ;) and over-optimization. You think in this dimensions when you have a system that works 100% for years but you can't handle the zetabytes of data.
    The MR DB currently is ~2 GB for ~60k users. Reasons: Performance, Debugging, History, Statistics. I want to be able to see any change and recreate the behaviour which is not possible if you only store the results. I can also do adjustments, like raising the requirement for B-levels. Why? Because there is no server that doesn't have the 2 or 200 GB left.

What makes any backend expensive? Well, user expectations: You need pseudo HA clusters for minimized downtime. Then, never forget about backups. Bandwith is becoming seriously expensive soon as well.
    Still, most invest goes into the employees that make sure the service is healthy and alive 24/7 while spending support to the users and have an eye on security and exploitation. Then don't forget about the test cost, both in persons and time spent.

100% agree here. MR already had a performance rating which was very well accepted. I just did it wrong in the first place, but I know what to do (but not when)

11. Not really a over-optimisation but my lack of real world expierience I guess, because I didn't think that debugging would be of concern. My thoughts were that if your mathematical model for the ratings would be sound enough and if you would use statistical distribution for the relative performance rating, you wouldn't need to debug because your model would already include how to deal with outliners. I guess this is where theoretical and practical applications differ and thank you for your educating explaination.

On another note more data is always nice to have but if AC2 did include a spectator and a replay function wouldn't it be possible to use the replays to debug the rating system?

12. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Yes you are 100%, both in the theoretical model and this conclusion. And it's not like we have no application for that stage of optimization: The AC netcode packages are built like that, and I'm sure replay files are as well. Well at least you see a wild mix of data types where they make sense, Stefano was even mixing ASCII strings and Unicode where it is appropriate.

But speaking of databases, a few GB more or less won't make a notable difference in cost.

That's a good idea, and pretty close to my current work on MR. The downside is that replays are bigger many orders of magnitude so you'd need serious storage space and bandwith (if centralized) here.