1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Emotional intellect of simracer/gamer and effects for community

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by mantasisg 2, Apr 8, 2018.

1. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Many of us may have felt a time or two in past few years like there are a bit much of communication problems, or if people can't properly express themselves, or don't understand or care how their expressions are affecting others. That might sometimes lead into doubts about qualities of community and so on.

I am not talking about the occasions when someone is arguing and disagree about something post a bit of rant or so (which is really good, not even "IMO"), but more about the way it goes. Many times it may seem that some members are taking next to no effort to pick their words carefully, or shape their expressions efficiently by saying what they want without inflicting unnecessary trouble and damage and being foggy. Same might be for interpreting other members expressions.

I was wondering how bad some gamers and especially simracers Emotional Intellect is. There are numerous studies proving lots and lots of positive effects on people because of gaming, but not everything is so perfect, it is a fact that too much of playing negatively affects emotional intellect. It may also be not only gaming but whole social aspect of people lives shifting into virtual world with all those stupid (not even IMO) instagrams, selfies, please followlikeandshare and so on :D Still gaming probably tops it all.

So what do you think, gaming communities are doomed to sink in hell of low emotional intellect, or will they be good ? I mean will communities be alright, or will wither. Will active communities even stay an important thing in future simulations, for example ACC ? Or will it become passive - will exist, but not much chatting and discussions will ever happen ?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Intellectual Property Aug 26, 2016

3. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

no, this topic has not crossed my mind so far. A much bigger issue is the language gap, as most of us are not native speakers, and following this a lot may be read wrong or just not the way the writer intended it be be understood.
    And imo, if these simracing forums are the top of your list regarding social and virtual interaction with people, you may need to change something about that... or maybe I just understand it differently than you intended.
    And I don't get your last paragraph.

4. Nao

Nao Alien

Gaming is often a past/leisure time, so i don't see it as lack of intelect (in general, there are special snowflakes too), but just lack of will or need to give anything but a basic thought. Gaming often brings people from different countries together, and expressing yourself in detail in other languages can be difficult. On top of that games probably have the widest range of ages of users participating in a conversation too.

I don't feel like that last part applies to my experiance thou, idk, maybe i'm lucky, or the games, i play have better communities, but in general i often see the most progressive and reasonable lines of thoughts on my go-to forums. Ofc, there always is some mindless posting, but is around in general thoughtful conversations with useful results do happen.
    Forums around AC (or racing sims in general) has not been great, so it feels like game genres also play a big role type of users on the forums.
    My experiance is that sports in general are a magnet to worse behaviors when it comes to forums etc, while e-sports (especially communities that are in process of building themselves from the ground) bring people that care more and post better. And i feel ACC competition side is shaped like spinoff of the rear thing, rather than a freash start, so I don't expect much, sadly.

This whole "world wide web" is still in it's infancy, so people behave like childs, lets wait a decade or so and see. I think gaming will be fine... as long as the few reasonable and caring people continue being awesome :) (thou i'm struggling with proper expression haha... and staying on topic, sorry! :p).

Fabri Fibra likes this.
  5. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

There's actually some studies about racing game that make player having more aggressive behavior than other genre.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/racing-games-cause-most-aggression

6. martcerv

martcerv Alien

bigbawmcgraw, Typer, AccAkut and 2 others like this.
  7. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

I agree that PGR is a bit extreme in comparison since sim racing is more casual(driving related, forget about setup)...:p

8. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

Try something like Rocket League with random people. After that almost everyone in racing games seems nice and sane. :D

9. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

True I often think about that, some people I know who seems to be great in person, feels weird online :D

But I could remember myself being quite active in forums ~10 years ago, and I could remember more unity, less self centering, more empathy, more responsibility, people seemed to use more attention to what they actually say. Worth to mention those were art (dance) forums, not gaming, so thats more social by default. Of course rants and arguing were always happening, but it is all natural, I mean it is all ok till its respectful.

Yes in terms of virtual interactions. I have already gave up facebook, because that thing just getting whole internet off the rails IMO, used to be better. My main concern is the qualities of simracing community and future of it. Will it be great, or will it go apes. I think future of simulation also depends on that. And the very basic thing is quality of communication, which very much depends on emotional intellect. Which seems to get worse if gamer is playing too much.

Last paragraph about questions ?

I meant if ACC will be good basis for community, or it will be just plain online racing.

10. Nao

Nao Alien

Yeah definitely, internet going mainstream dropped the quality by a lot, but it was and still is a wild west and there is tons of space for cultural and social adjustment. So i think it will bounce back, but not yet...

If ACC could have a technologically advanced social system, then yeah maybe it would be good basis for community. I mean it needs a system where it is very easy for like minded individuals to meet, communicate, share and hang around. Stuff like having single account with ability to have nicknames, connect discord twitch and youtube to it, solid chat system with possibility to talk between players in menus and in race, and maybe even in browsers etc ***.
    All of that would make the whole ordeal more in line with how it works IRL and so people would care more.

Not saying they would behave better, but in general i feel like a lot of issues right now come from how much harder it is to feelings or thoughts across so people just don't bother or default to negatives which are easier to throw around.

Unfortunately thats something even the biggest companies can mess up. I still remember the initial Starcraft 2 launch from one of the biggest game companies (Blizzard) and the social features, compared to it's predecessor (which just recently turned 20) were vastly inferior. And it took literally years for them to bring them up to good level. So we can forget it for ACC.

That said, they could, out-source it a bit. By being proactive in looking for what people do, and stamping a "kunos approves" stamp on it. For example add the ability to connect minorating, or SRS, or even KMR to their player profiles, gluing it all and increasing visibility for these features, would probably help a lot in socializing people.

edit: *** and freaking chat channels, which often are neglected while they are the cornerstone of making a good community. ... really imho, a chat/lobby system will make or brake this kind of game.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    mantasisg 2 likes this.
  11. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

I never tried it..

Although do you mind sharing what exactly the kind of toxic stuff you get in this game? It's fascinating. :cool:

12. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Well welcome to the Internet. There are people of all ages, cultural level etc. Driving cars is mostly for guys, so you have the testosterone thing. What did you expect? A forum on the sacred Bible? :D

demonized likes this.
  13. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

Gaming tends to take place on the internet and so is doomed to be plagued by the ego's and persona's that people tend to project behind the anonymity of the keyboard. Thanks to things like Farcebook, Tw@ter and other social media platforms we are losing the ability, not surprisingly, to be social, respectful etc.....

Personally, I'm old enough and (here goes my inflated ego) wise enough to take anything with a pinch of salt. People will continue to discuss things and will continue getting salty with each other... No reason to think anything is going to change.

;)

14. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

+1

15. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I think being able to take things with a grain of salt, is a sign of good emotional intellect. Not always it has to be only sweet things and ego stroking, though sometimes we need those things too. Something a person who takes a selfie everyday won't understand :D

16. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

I tend to think of it being more of a hard emotional intellect. These days I wonder if "gaming" merits the emotional investment that some people seem to make, I tend to reserve most of mine for real life. Gaming is an escape from the drag that is rl for me.

It's a shame to see stuff like the pissing contests that happen (the PCars2 and DRM mod threads here on these forums are good examples). As you get older you just start to think Yep, seen that, done that and enjoy the entertainment it provides ;)

jsmith.ls.uk likes this.
  17. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Anonymity = asociality .
    Any more info about humans and their ways within the internet needed ?

18. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

Of course you gonna have some bad people, does not mean it's the medium's fault. The person on the other end of the string is a human just like you. Go race together and you'll achive something.

19. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Your term of emotional intelligence is a wrong fetch here. It stands for empathy, the ability to judge an other persons affective state. For that I need the complete picture. Not only a written word.
    I think you should better refer to social intelligence, the ability to form groups of interest, and hold them together. I think we here at KUNOS Forums did a good job on that!

Georg Siebert likes this.
  20. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

No I meant emotional intelligence, and it definitely is difficult without seeing and hearing other person, thats why sometimes those silly smiley faces seems necessary. If you don't pay good attention to context, and what is actually being attempted to say, then it is difficult to have a good conversations in text. However in text you have more time to react, to think about everything, you may also change your text before publishing it, also the things that others say stays and you always can double check if you understood them correctly, and weight possible other meanings better and so..... so it has pros and cons. So there is a lot of emotional intelect things going on through text too, and it is important that members have those things developed, otherwise you'll have bad results in many ways: manipulations, delusions, never ending arguments, ignorance, anger, sadness,... in other words community qualities will significantly drop.

And my point was that if spending too much time on games has a negative effect on emotional intelect, then whats the chance that gaming communities will improve, and will not become nests of self-centered man/woman-childs seriously lacking social skills, or something like that :D I feel like it is already happening.

I don't think I should refer to social intelligence, I don't know what it is, but it sounds more like a control of other people, and probably is very closely related to emotional intellect, but more like organising and some kind of strategy aspect. Yeah I think Kunos definitely did a good job on that, except when modding purge happened as suddenly as it was possible, then lots of best people quit or stopped being active, however I completely understand that as there might have been some toxicity towards devs and AC in deep levels.

21. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

A lot of social intelligence Effect, that is ppl leaving forums discussions, is due to ACs lifespan. 4 years, 5 years? how long do you recon a community can exist WITHOUT person to person, face to face, in fact REAL interaction?
    With all that deluded interaction, do you think a human can build real bonds?
    Well I have emotionally, one of them got a hard one just ;), but I don’t think any person with his wits together should complain, or even get straight attack.

So we should read between the lines, take a non violent position, yet being able to state our most real inside without being accused a shill, troll, or even misanthrope.
    Peace
    :)