1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Fanatec CSL Elite vs. Fanatec CSL Elite

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by xthenewkid, Sep 11, 2017.

1. xthenewkid

xthenewkid Gamer

So I finally convinced myself to buy a FFB wheel.
    As the G29/920 use ancient technology and look like toys and a lot of the TM T300s don't seem last very long, I decided to get the Fanatec CSL Elite wheel.

So my question is, is there a difference between the PS4 supported version and the old version?
    I don't care about console compatibility, as Im on the PC anyway.
    As the pricing of both wheelbases are very similar and Fanatec also released the PS4 rim for the old wheelbase, i have no idea which one i should buy.

I appreciate any input :)

Marjan likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Steering wheels discussions Fanatec CSL DD Oct 26, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Force feedback gets stuck on Fanatec CSL DD Apr 14, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Fanatec 8nm csl DD or Simagic alpha mini DD Apr 1, 2022
    PlayStation 4 Discussions PS5 on FANATEC CSL DD PRO - Terrible feedback Mar 2, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Fanatec CSL Elite (Mc Laren wheel) button mapping issue Feb 23, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Fanatec CSL pedal problems as of PS5 nextgen 1.7.7.5 Feb 23, 2022
    ACC Controls & Peripherals No force feedback on Fanatec CSL DD after updating to 1.8 Nov 26, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Limited force feedback with Fanatec CSL DD on Xbox series S Aug 30, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Fanatec Wheels (CSl DD) Aug 21, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 + Mclaren GT3 v2 not working in ACC Jul 4, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Unable to assign controls - Fanatec CSL Elite Feb 9, 2021
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues AC and Fanatec CSL Elite with F1 Wheel rpm lights lagging.... Jan 26, 2021
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues [PC]Fanatec CSL elite not working proprely but recognized Jan 3, 2021
    Steering wheels discussions Fanatec Csl Elite 1.1 trouble Dec 15, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions FANATEC CSL ELITE LOAD CELL does not work the pedals Dec 12, 2020

3. Turk

Turk Alien

I would have thought they're identical bar the PS4 one having something added for PS4 support. I guess the advantage of buying one that is compatible with both PC and PS is that if you ever decided to sell it down the road you'd have a bigger audience if it has PS4 compatibility.

I almost bought the CSL myself but decided to go for the clubsport instead mostly because of the metal construction. I wanted something that would last and be able to take some abuse. But I think over all the two wheel bases are mostly the same.

xthenewkid likes this.
  4. xthenewkid

xthenewkid Gamer

The PS4 one uses the same motor as V2.5 base and has some different internals as far as I know. Don't quote me on that though

5. Turk

Turk Alien

From what I can remember the CSL and clubsport are virtually identical bar the case. I don't think the case is going to make a huge difference to general performance, I think the metal case will last longer and take more abuse over that time and that's why I paid the premium. But the FFB should be the same and it's awesome when coming from the likes of the G29.

xthenewkid likes this.
  6. Skybird

Skybird Alien

The PS4 compataqbility chip is in the wheelbase, the chip for Xbox is i the rim.

The wheelbase has the 2.5 motor, but different electornci control, less torque and more speed as a result, I think. The wheelrim for the PS4 is the lightest rim of all fanatec wheels, below 1 kg.

I have the PS4 version, and am happy with it. FFB is very good, fast, smooth, and strong if setting it to be strong. All buttons of the PS4 design can be replaced with neutral number buttons or techncial symbol buttons, which I did.

Note that you may want to go with updating pedals first, they are more deicisve to improve your driving than wheels. I use my wheel with CSP v3, and the brake pedal alone, a load cell, is worth the price already. The PS4 wheel came wioth a sale for some pedals of theirs, I do not knbow whether that sale still is running. It were not the CSPv3 however, but if you need pedals, too, the price was/is irresistable. No load cell, however.

Note that the wheel's secondary features currently are not supported by AC completely, and Fanaleds (an app aiming to cuzre this) is not yet updated to do so. You get no revlights in AC, but the change indicator works and the number LEDS give you speed and gear (I would prefer to show only gear, but thats how it is).

AC on PS4 suppports rev lights on this wheel, strangely.

In Raceroom, it all works out of the box. You can even cacle through different displays fpr the number LEDs, via an ingame option, you only have to bind a key to the function. Obviously it is possible to have Fanatec stuff being FULLY suppported out of the box, Kunos and others just do not want to properly do it. If you play with VR, it does not matter, however. But still: the principle...

Also, see here: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ite-wheel-for-the-ps4-by-simracinggirl.47034/

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    xthenewkid likes this.
  7. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

The internals are also different. CSW uses grooved belts and two pulleys, while CSL has a toothed belt and a single pulley.
    CSW: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-ekretz-csw-v1-v2-comparo-review.316381/
    CSL: http://imgur.com/a/tZLc5

Freddie Seng, xthenewkid and Turk like this.
  8. hristo1026

hristo1026 Racer

''The Wheel Base
    The base looks obviously very similar to our CSL Elite Wheel base, but there are some significant differences.
    • As this is an officially licensed product we added some electronics provided by Sony and this ensures that the racing wheel is properly recognized by the console
    • The motor driver electronics are completely different to the CSL Elite Wheel Base and the same as on the ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5.
    • The motor itseld and the power supply is also identical to the CS WB V2.5 but because of the diffferent gear ratio, this wheel base has less torque but more speed.''
    Link

Motorsports and xthenewkid like this.
  9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

xthenewkid likes this.
  10. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

It is mechanically the same as V2. The difference is in the motor and electronics.

xthenewkid likes this.
  11. Uff

Uff Andrea Candini

PS4 all the way. I tested both based for my website and I do find the PS4 version a good step forward compared to the XOne version. It's a very good wheel base, imho.

xthenewkid likes this.
  12. Skybird

Skybird Alien

CSL Elite PS4 has same motor like 2.5, says Fanatec.. But different gears and electronics. Thats why it has less torque and more power.

CSW 1 or 2, and CSW 2.5, are different from each other as well.

You compared CSW 1 (2) (link 1) to CSL Elite PS4 (link 2), then making it an argument concerning comparing 2.5 and CSL (what the OP asked about).

;)

xthenewkid likes this.
  13. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

Someone might have a reading comprehension problem. I replied to the post that said: "From what I can remember the CSL and clubsport are virtually identical bar the case"
    Motor is not the whole base and internals are clearly different. I do not have pictures of V2.5, but the ones of V2 are good enough because as you can clearly see through the top window the belts and pulleys are the same.
    I'm not saying that Elite is no good, I'm just saying that virtually identical except that case is a bit of a stretch. Only motor and the shaft the rim attaches to is the same, everything else is different.

14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I recommend to stick to Fanatec's own info on the whole matter here. hristo1026 quoted them, I based on the same statement thjat I found earlier ont heir website, and I also base on a more detailed text they have posted about it somewhere that I read some months ago.

Thats all: motors in 2.5 and CSL E PS4 are the same, Fanatec says, gears and electronics are different. Thats what it is about. Torque is less, power is more. The rim "PS4 wheel" is lighter than any other they offer.

Then you cannot compare v2 to CSL, because 2.5 and CSL have the same motor. Therefor a comparison between v2 and CSL is a very different thing, than comparing 2.5 and CSL.

Indeed, somebody has a comprehension problem here. ;)

Anyway, good night and "nix für ungut".

15. xthenewkid

xthenewkid Gamer

Ok thank you for the intel guys.
    Seems like the PS4 version is the winner

Marjan and hristo1026 like this.
  16. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

I was comparing the internal construction. Obviously, it is very different between CSL and CSW (any version, including v2.5 not pictured above) even if the motor is the same. The reason they went with a toothed belt was that with a single pulley system in a plastic case it was impossible to use a grooved belt without it slipping. But they had no other choice as the goal was to reduce the cost of the base (so single pulley and plastic were all but given), and I think they actually did a good job. It was true for the original CSL base and it is even more true for the updated PS4 version as it features an improved motor. I don't know why they still don't offer it here in the US, not that I would've bought it instead, but if they did they could've capitalized on the upcoming GT Sport release. I don't know who would pick up the new Thrustmaster wheel instead, especially since you can't get LC pedals for it.

"Torque is less, power is more" makes no sense. Maybe you meant to say "speed is more", but that's questionable, AFAIK the max wheel rotation speed is limited by 200 RPM anyway for safety reasons while the acceleration (which is very important) is clearly dependent on torque. CSW at 100% vs 80% gives about 20% difference in the measured wheel acceleration values (while having the same max speed achieved) and if you don't believe that you might also recall that cars with more torque accelerate out of the corner faster.

To the OP, I can say that you made a good choice especially if you're not going to attach heavy rims to the base. That light rim it comes with should work nice as will do Formula rim if you ever decide to get it. BMW GT2 rim will be too heavy and result in a more dampened wheel.

17. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Yes, I meant speed, and said that also during an earlier post, my fault here. This info is what Fanatec says on the wheel. They gave different gears as the reason, since the motor is the same as in 2.5.

18. Skybird

Skybird Alien

You wont regret it, its a very well made thing. And even two kinds of leather on the rim - I beg you! :D

19. demetri

demetri Hardcore Simmer

If you had Porsche or Formula rim we could compare the speed of CSW v2.5 vs CSL PS4 using RFRWheelTest app. I'm pretty sure CSL is not faster (regardless of what Fanatec marketing department says), I would be very surprised if it was. You can't cheat real life physics.

20. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

With Fanaleds you should be able to set it so that it only shows gears the whole time, I was able to make it work.

21. hristo1026

hristo1026 Racer

And what is the real life physics?