1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fanatec : made in China ?

Discussion in 'Steering wheels discussions' started by Solmyr, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

Hi all !

Just unboxed my Clubsport v3 set pedals.

I was very surprised to read "Made in China" in big letters on the box. I thought, actually was pretty sure, that it was german manufactured.
    Not to be irrespectful towards Chinese people, of course, and still the CNC stuff looks great ! I hope it's high quality standart.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec Clubport V2 base V3 Pedels 1.5 Shifter, keep unbinding. May 4, 2018
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues mclaren gt3 fanatec - TC & ABS Apr 24, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions Help !! How can I use again my TH8A shifter on AC???? (Now with a FANATEC CSL ELITE PS4 Wheel) Apr 10, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions Fanatec V2.5 Mar 17, 2018
    XBox One Discussions Fanatec Handbrake with V3 pedals not working Mar 5, 2018
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues FANATEC CSL ÉLITE PS4 Feb 25, 2018
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec csw v2 McLaren 650 GT3 settings Feb 24, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base Belt Tensioners Mod Feb 18, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions Good upgrade from Fanatec CSR Jan 22, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions Fanatec CSW 2.5 super heavy “center spring” Jan 7, 2018
    Chit Chat Room How to increase Fanatec ClubSport base v2 motor strength? Jan 1, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Fanatec new "Exchangeable Quick Release" system Nov 24, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Sterring Wheel not recognized (Fanatec CSW V2 ) Nov 20, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec V1 pedals loadcell Nov 2, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Fanatec speed display Oct 29, 2017

3. chakko

chakko Simracer

"Engineered in Germany, made in China". ;) Manufacturing here is too expensive anyway.
    Schnipp and mms like this.
  4. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

IMHO, I don't think you should be that surprised. Even a casual look across YouTube alone yields a bevy of who exactly uses Fanatec's gear. From actual racing drivers to sim pros, the word is in: Fanatec gear is not only competitive but qualitative at the highest of levels. As others have stated, manufacturing costs and regulations are such that, were you to buy an actual German-made set of racing pedals, you would be out anywhere from €1,000 to €2,000 euros. Thomas Jackermeier went to China for the manufacturing of his products for one simple reason: so you could afford them.

I've talked with several sim businessmen from Germany and the USA, and the facts are shocking and saddening. The main problem is regulations, which cripple almost every aspect of production. Add to this that the Euro/US worker expects much higher compensation and you have the price-point I quoted. China has a phony international reputation of being a cheap exporter, but the real economic news suggests that, due to their high growth rate, lower regulations, standing with international banks, GDP, etc. are able to produce extremely quality goods, depending of course upon the scruples of the manufacturer, agreement, etc. You should be in no fear of something made in China...as chakko said, it is designed in Germany, a fact evidenced by the build quality, features, and finish. Having come from the first iteration of the Fanatec pedals, I can further state that Fanatec's product quality has increased in the last 5 years.
  5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Main reason I dont buy any fanatec gear is they have quite a reputation of gear failing online with lots of customers and a fair number of friends I know that have had their gear.
  6. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

So, I'll go further into this tomorrow but here are my first problems/disappointments :

1) The pedals' set clearly has a tendency to flip on the pitch axis : no good. Will I really have to attach a large wooden board or something ?

2) The clutch pedal mecanism goes beyond the backgroung of the set : so first time you wedge the pedals against a wall you can't reach max clutch course, (and then you add a naughty sound for your neighbours in addition). Now if you combine points 1) and 2) it's pretty bad together.

3) Gaz pedal looks too stiff to me. Even only that pedal can make the set almost start a flip (so heels' side tends to raise)

I was conscious and aware that I'd have to re-learn almost all my pedals use, was prepared for that, but I'm quite worried tonight after only 1 hour testing.

4) Probably the most worrying : I saw when calibrating the set that when I push the brake pedals, both clutch and gaz pedals are slightly and erratically triggered ! Something like 1-3% but hell, that's not what I was expecting when buying a near 400 euros pedals set... The drivers were updated, and manual calibrating has been done as last step. In the game the phenomenom can be tracked the same way.
  7. Orne

Orne Alien

Exactly! Leica anyone ???? Fantec would cost $5,000 if made in Germany, hahahha.
  8. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

Just a slight OT, I live in China (I'm Italian). When I went to buy my T500RS here in Beijing, the shop imported it from the US which of course made it even more expensive than the US price :rolleyes:.. and guess what, the product was made in China. Totally unfair to the Chinese I'd say, they are paid lower wages to manufacture the product, then they have to buy it at a higher price than abroad.
    TK-PRO likes this.
  9. Solmyr

Solmyr Racer

Not even to mention the ecological/environment questionable aspect....
  10. sissydriver

sissydriver Hardcore Simmer

today it doesnt matter where something is "made".o_O

a good friend of mine sells diesel injection nozzles. first he sells bosch and has a lot of problems. he found out that the bosch made in india gives him 30% complaint. other bosch nozzles <5%. he never knows what he buys. 30% is far too much.

he orders big numbers (>10.000 per comission(?)) - he finally found a manufacturer in italy - top quality, very good pricing.

another guy sells camshafts for older vw (>100.000) - best price/quality was from....india :p
  11. BMcK

BMcK Rookie

Fanatec set up owner here. No issues love the equipment. Sounds like you have not hard mounted the pedal set, I am not surprised at your issue. The forces these pedals operate with require a hard mounting option on a SIM rig.
  12. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

It doesn't really matter for many things where it's produced, what matters is quality control and price.

If you push the manufacturer to deliver at a too little price the quality can suffer.

High rate of failures/problems are more likely being caused by lack of QC or getting greedy by increasing profit margin through cheap purchase prices towards the supplier.

That being said, my CSL LC Elite pedals also tilt on braking, I've mounted the pedals on my old DIY pedal mount I used previously on my G25 pedals.
    Freestanding the might only work on very low LC settings.

Bigger issue were that both pots in the throttle and clutch started to spike/jitter after less than 3 month and a few weeks later both plastic mounts inside the pedal for the pots broke.

[​IMG]
  13. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Of course they will pivot if they are just sitting on the floor. They are suppose to be mounted to a frame, while you can do it (and I do out of neccessity) they are not designed to just sit on the floor as the bake pedal load cell is suppose to take a bit of pressure. Mine are bolted to a large metal base plate, it’s actually the pedal mount plate from a sim experience motion rig and it’s prety large and heavy but it still pivots up sometimes. Really need a proper rig
  14. TK-PRO

TK-PRO Rookie

This is also true of FANATEC