1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generic gears settings gt3 cars

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Luciano Micale, Dec 5, 2017.

1. hi guys, just to know...anyone knows for sure if in real life you can set gears in gt3 class cars?!? Here you can but in pc2 you cannot...and that seems quite strange to me...some guys they say that there are rules in the FIA which are limiting gear settings in gt3 cars. I think that kunos guys know better what they do...they live with gt3 cars and can have a closer look to regulations. I have been searching between FIA regulations but didn't find any restrictions on that...so...maybe AC is right and pc2 is wrong or bugged maybe?!?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Ferrari 288 GTO Gears Nov 5, 2017
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues issue changing gears Aug 15, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues 500 assetto corse shifter showing 5 gears Jun 8, 2017
    Console Lounge Audi Sport Quatro S1 E2 - gears May 19, 2017
    Bug reports GT40 revs spiking in-between gears on upshift (DS4 Controller) May 4, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Can't select gears in Mazda 787 and Audi Quattro Mar 25, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Auto gears downshifts Mar 4, 2017
    Steering wheels discussions Can't change gears after patch 1.13 Feb 20, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Ferrari F138 gearbox poor upshifts on low gears Jan 15, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Gears Bug (Lose traction) Jan 7, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds cars wont accelerate/catch gears Dec 6, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Not shifting gears with Thrustmaster T150 Nov 12, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Can't select gears (PS4) Oct 16, 2016
    Console Lounge Grinding gears, rustling jimmies Oct 16, 2016
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Why can't I change gears when I want???? Oct 14, 2016

3. Tberg

Tberg Alien

The gearbox in GT3 cars are not locked per se. Though, it can be locked due homologation regulations specified by the series, being ADAC, Blanc Pain etc.
    All cars entering such series must attend BoP tests, where they later receive the BOP papers to carry out. Prior to any race, all cars are tested that they meet the BOP and are done so by f.i. the mandatory data logger and other tests carried out.
    If Pc2 has all their GT3 gearboxes locked, it's not wrong if it is within a series. I don't play Pc2, but if the same GT3 car is used in different series and it has the same gear ratios regardless, that would be "wrong".
    In AC there is no series, so the gearbox is not locked and it's up to race organizers to carry out additional BOP.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    LeDude83 and bradleyland like this.
  4. baboon

baboon Simracer

Yes, gearbox is part of homologation which means teams irl usually don't swap ratios during a season or even between FIA homologation lifespans. Like it or not, it was a gamedesign choice to offer tons of ratios to play with.
  5. bradleyland

bradleyland Hardcore Simmer

I would say they're both "right". It's just a matter of perspective. AC gives more latitude, while PC2 imposes additional restrictions.

Most series where GT3 cars run homologate the gear ratios, so PC2 is using a "de facto" standard.

AC, on the other hand, leaves it open, which is mechanically possible, but isn't common in most racing series.

One thing I do wish AC had was motorsports regulations, which allowed for things like locking specific setup aspects. Right now, you can only choose fixed setup. This isn't terrible, because the default setups in AC are actually really great. The same cannot be said for PC2. Some of the "loose" setups in PC2 are un-drivable for me.
    baboon likes this.
  6. Tberg

Tberg Alien

You can lock specific parts in the setup so it's not just a deafult setup that is locked. Yes, even lock different gear ratios for different GT3 cars on the same server.
    LeDude83 likes this.
  7. bradleyland

Not on console ;)
  8. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Console? Blasfemi!
    bradleyland likes this.
  9. bradleyland

I think you might have wandered into the wrong pub, mate :D
  10. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Nevermind :D
  11. bradleyland

I'm just pulling your leg about the pub :)

Ratios are adjustable on consoles. The difference is that we have only one option for fixing setups: ON/OFF. There's no option to fix specific setup components.
    Tberg likes this.