1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Grain & Blister, Working as Intended?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Vel, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Vel

Vel Simracer

At this point i presume I'm misunderstanding AC's UI. .... However:

With any Kunos car, on any Kunos track if I drive for a long time or short time (1hr on track or as few as 5 minutes) treating the tires violently or, alternately, responsibly i have noticed something I don't quite understand:

After the above driving sessions when i press escape and select either "Back to Pits" or "Restart Session", and then go to view the mechanical / tires section - I will see different heat levels in the tires from my past on-track session that seem representative of how i was driving the car.

For example - Very harsh driving, burn outs, drifting, power sliding and general reckless driving will grossly heat up the tires as expected 150 degrees centigrade...120 and similar on rear tires or even front tires ends up being very common. Equally, driving responsibly with the car, tires do heat up to optimal or semi-optimal levels. Yet never too hot compared to harsh, reckless driving tire management.

From this i gather that going to pits after a driving session,via clicking on the "Back to Pits or "Restart Session", and then going to check the tires gives information relative to the last period of time on track.

Problem? - The Grain & Blister values never change no matter how i drive on track and remain at 0.

Is this a feature working as intended? Am i misunderstanding how grain and blistering are generated in AC?

Or ?

detoit likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics UI shows excessive blistering and graining Jul 8, 2019
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Grain & Blister Information via "Back to Pits" or "Restart Session" Sep 23, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues 1.13 Blistering/graining gone for F1 cars Mar 23, 2017
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Blister and graining Nov 30, 2014
    ACC Controls & Peripherals DD is grainy coggy on Nurburg 24H Apr 2, 2024
    ACC Physics Heavy front graining with 296 GT3 May 1, 2023
    ACC Physics BMW 2018 GT4 leaving pit box, FFB on wheel feels grainy and engine cuts out after 1 second Mar 19, 2022
    ACC Physics Graining and Temperature May 19, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Grainy graphics Jun 7, 2020
    ACC User Interface Tyre graining info bug Apr 21, 2020
    ACC Physics Grain Jun 27, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Grainy Mesh Reflections? Mar 4, 2019
    Physics Bugs & Issues Quick race ktm tyre grain % carries over after restart session Dec 4, 2015
    Physics Bugs & Issues Graining May 1, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Tyre graining formula abarth May 1, 2015

3. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Try to use the physics dev app and then on the lower area you will see the blister and grain values.
    Grain will rise when tyres are way below optimized and blister when they are hot.

Στάλθηκε από το LenovoA3300-H μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Vel likes this.
  4. Vel

Vel Simracer

Alright, thank you. But uhm, - the Dev app? ... Isn't the general, normal Tire related screen which shows temps, grain & blister supposed to show this information too? (Or do i misunderstand how it should be used/interpreted ?)

5. liakjim

liakjim Alien

No. the tyre app will show the total tyre wear which is calculated by the vkm . The vkm is the a number the comes from an equation that adds the mileage, the load, the grain and the blistering and adds them in a way that gives the vkm. Then there is a lut that says if vkm X then tyre performance is Y (in %).

You can see it in this screen (this is taken from an earlier build but it's almost the same)

[​IMG]

St3fan likes this.
  6. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Alien

The tires will only grain and blister if you have damage enabled, it's separate from tire wear

Sent fra min G8141 via Tapatalk

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  7. liakjim

liakjim Alien

I don't think that they are separate.
    They might just be zero or multiplied with zero when damage is off .

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

8. Vel

Vel Simracer

What about in the Escape / Restart Session or Back to Pits screen which shows current car condition?

ACGrainBlisterZero.jpg

9. Vel

Vel Simracer

I do run with Mechanical damage enabled at 100%.
    Tire Wear is set to 1x.

Only edit in AC's .ini config that i've edited and related to damage -
    [DAMAGE]
    GLASS_THRESHOLD=1.0
    (because the frequency and reason for glass shattering tended to be silly with it at default values.)

10. Vel

Vel Simracer

I'll equally add that using the dev app, i certainly can see Blister / Grain developing as i drive around the track. However, when i click Restart Session, or Back to pits? Only Tire temps are displayed. No sign of any change to Blister or Grain despite it having changed while out on track, within the Dev app.

11. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

Graining and blistering also depend a lot on longevity. If you have your tire wear and 1x and don't run at least 20 laps on soft tires, you'll probably never see graining or blistering. You simply don't run the tire long enough for that to happen.

12. Vel

Vel Simracer

Well, i'd agree if i was talking about responsible, reasonable driving. But if i drive wildly, drifting, power sliding, and doing burn outs, the Dev app's information, WILL change and reflect these actions. The blister and grain value will change significantly. In the Dev app.

When i escape to the pit - via "Restart Session" or "Back to Pits" ? The grain & blister values are shown as 0. ... Zero change. Yet tire temperature will show dramatic differences.

13. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

I think it's a bug. Those numbers used to change in pit setup. Haven't done any races where those values would matter since V7 tyres so no idea when they died.

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  14. Tomcul

Tomcul Hardcore Simmer

I had thought when you reset back to pits you got new tyres so 0 grain/blister and the temps stayed displayed from last session just for reference in setup... that was just my presumption on it, probably totally wrong!

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  15. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

No, they wont.

Graining and blistering both involve the overall integrity of the tire, not just the surface. Although your surface temps get hot, the core of the tire does not because it happens to quickly, therefore graining has no chance to take place, nor does blistering.

The best way to express it is this: If you light a lighter right underneath your hand for a second, it's going to be hot, but it's not in all likelihood going to leave anything more than a 1st degree burn. (you may have a red spot on your hand and that's about it.) If you want to see 2nd and 3rd degree burns, it's going to take longer than that even though it's the same heat.

Burning the surface off a tire by cutting donuts doesn't lead to graining and blisters. Overheating a tire in it's entirety over the long haul does.

16. Oh really?
    Fun starts at about :44

17. Vel

Vel Simracer

Yes really! :)

When you click Escape "Back to Pits" or "Restart session", after such a very rough driving session, the only information displayed in the pits, as shown above in post ( https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...lister-working-as-intended.47333/#post-924861 ) on the screen will be a Tire temperature increase. Grain and Blister will be at Zero.

However, while on-track, using the dev app, Grain/Blister changes ARE shown. The curious issue i'm suggesting/asking about appears following a rough driving session. The consequences are never shown in the pit / set up change UI screen. Only a temperature increase.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  18. You get new tires when you escape back to pits.
    That has been my understanding also.

19. Vel

Vel Simracer

Then why are the temperatures of the tires in the pit, reflective of the previous on-track driving session so extremely high and far above optimal? Say 120...150+ or whatever...