1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Grand Prix Legends appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Ace Pumpkin, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

After the announcement of the Isle of Man TT mod I chose to reinstall that gem of simracing again.
    This time I installed the GPLPS version and the GEM+ Mod installer. And man, I’m impressed.
    Physics and FFB fell very good given the age of the engine. Can’t wait to test out the ˋ55 season.
    Also the modding community came up with the most accurate version of historic Spa ever seen in our niche genre so far. It’s beautiful, it’s terrifying, it’s an absolute blast:

Using GEM+ you can tweak everything to your liking. Graphics, FFB, FOV and so on.

GPL is freeware now, check it out!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap Challenge 191 - 70th Anniversary Formula 1 Grand Prix Challenge and dusk, in the land Aug 8, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room [AC/ACC: Virtual Grand Prix] Jan 19, 2020
    Online Leagues / Championships room [AC GPL Mod] Grand Prix Legends Grand Prix League, the return! (from January) Dec 17, 2018
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap #98 - Grand Prix Legend Sep 30, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Grand Prix Driver Feb 11, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Donington Park Grand Prix Circuit 1938 0.9 Sep 21, 2017
    Chit Chat Room 50's and older grand prix cars licensing Jul 6, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Grand Prix movie 50th Anniversary! Dec 21, 2016
    Chit Chat Room 1906 Le Mans Grand Prix Oct 8, 2016
    Liveries nissan gtr r35 Masato Kawabata D1 grand prix Apr 9, 2016
    Online Leagues / Championships room Redline Racing League Formula 1 Grand Prix League FW-31 Mar 26, 2016
    Online Leagues / Championships room Lotus evora grand prix of indonesia Nov 8, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Us grand prix (no spoilers) Oct 25, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Grand prix of le sequestre Feb 8, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Grand prix of stuttgart, feb 1, 2015, 19:30 gmt Feb 1, 2015

3. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

The Targa Florio

and the IOM TT teaser

4. isamu

isamu Racer

Despite being an "Abridged" version, Jim's version of IOM in GPL is still my favorite one. It's the reason I so desperately wish someone would find a way to incorporate VR compatibility into GPL.

5. Nice to see this 1998 year simulation always on.
    This is this kind of content I always waited in AC, particularly historic Spa track.
    I remember Aris pictures in Spa office with maps on the table listening a guys, probably talking about the old trace and somes pictures of the old track.
    I hoped for a while for a 1967 official mod in AC but I was wrong.
    Maybe one day a nostalgic team will do that ;)

6. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Great sim, I downloaded this version
    gplps.wordpress.com/gplps

But when installing it's asking for a CD...which I don't have anymore...

Cheers
    Robin .

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Search for Grand Prix Legends full version.
    It’s around 700 mb.
    Don’t use the demo version.

Robin_NL likes this.
  8. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

Ahh good ol GPL...
    I still have the original CD + cover +manual + the 4 wheel drift booklet.
    GPL and Papyrus will always have a special place in my heart and on my shelf, for awakening my enthusiasm for sim racing

With regards to actually driving it...nah, not anymore. I still keep it on my PC, much like I keep the CD on the shelf, for sentimental reasons.
    My wife still keeps the baby shoes from our children, guess we all have our thing:D

However, I've kind of partly recreated the 1967 F1 season in Assetto Corsa, for all those who are interested, heres how:

What is already there:
    1.) Lotus 49 --> Thanks Kunos!!
    2.) Ferrari 312/67 --> Thanks Kunos!!
    3.) Silverstone 1967 --> Thanks Kunos!!
    4.) Monza 1966 --> Thanks Kunos!!
    5.) Nordschleife --> not the old one, but good enough;)

What has to be downloaded:
    1.) F1 Classic 1967 v1.4 by Bazza (its prob. not legit, but thats what we have. Big thanks to Bazza for his work, google for download...)
    2.) Monaco 1966 from acreboot (https://actrackrebootproject.wixsite.com/ac-track-re-boot/monaco1966)
    3.) Spa 1966 from acreboot (https://actrackrebootproject.wixsite.com/ac-track-re-boot/spa-francorchamps-1966)
    4.) Kyalami 1967 from acreboot (https://actrackrebootproject.wixsite.com/ac-track-re-boot/kyalami1967)
    This guy is doing one hell of a job in making these old tracks look good for AC. Big thanks from here!!
    5.) Zandvoort 1966 from F3 classic tracks (https://www.f3classictracks.com/sandevoerde) Consider buying the full version from Sergio, its gorgeous, and adds all the adverts, grand stands, and crouds!
    6.) Content Manager (http://assettocorsa.club/content-manager.html) Great utility, full version goes for less then a beer (wish they would declutter the interface though, it's horrible^^)

Now the tricky bits:
    From the "F1 Classic 1967 v1.4" mod, as far as the Lotus and Ferrari are concerned, only the skins and/or helmets are required, and have to be copied into the Kunos folders.
    Some editing of json files and renaming of the skins is required, to have the AI pick the right skins and have the names of the drivers correct.
    After that is done, the Ferrari and Lotus folder from the F1 classic mod can be deleted.
    With the help of google, or an old GPL installation, I created the missing batches for the Brabham, BRM, Cooper, Matra, and Eagle, and modified the related json files.
    Now the interface outlines all the cars with their correct make and model.

Content Manager:
    While it is perfectly possible to create a custom championship in AC, with content manager you have a whole lot more options.
    In particular, the individual driver strengths, that can be set, come in handy. With all due respect to Graham, I want to see Jimmy Clark in front of him on the grid, and pulling away after start;)
    Most importantly, CM allows to save these presets, so picking the complete 1967 field for even only a quick race is completely effortless.

I am using the old but trusted generic MOD enabler (JSGME), so I can add and completely remove the 1967 season conveniently.
    If anyone is interested, but does not know his way around the file structure with regards to the modifications outlined above, or wants the cm presets or badges only, you can contact me by PM.

There is nothing like going after Clark and having the likes of Stewart,Rindt, Brabham or Gurney in the rear view mirrors:)

9. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Yes I did that. But it's still asking for a CD....

Cheers
    Robin

10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Did you mount the .iso file with a virtual drive?

11. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

I just clicked the GPL.iso winzipper and after that the installer below that one. There is no 'readme'...

Cheers
    Robin

12. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Load the .iso in a virtual drive, then run the installer and point to the virtual drive. Done.

Robin_NL likes this.
  13. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Downloading as we speak....

Cheers
    Robin

14. Fat Rich

Fat Rich Hardcore Simmer

Fantastic game with some fantastic mods :)

Bought a magazine with the demo CD the day it was available nearly 20 years ago and instantly loved it. Bought the game the day it came out in the UK, can't believe I'm now playing it on a triple screen setup using current wheel and pedals.

A massive thank you to the modders that have kept this game alive :cool:

Ace Pumpkin and marmagas like this.
  15. I joined the Grand Prix Legends party very late in the day (so late that I started out with the massively improved car and track graphics versions), and I never ventured online at all. I remember setting myself a target of under 9 minutes with the Honda at the Nordschleife (nothing special by GPL expert standards), but it was a major exercise in frustration. I was using a joystick to control my virtual race cars in those days, and after multiple successive failures to beat that 9 minute barrier, I managed to post a time of.....9:00.02!! :mad: Let's just say that a few choice words were uttered at that moment :oops: Thankfully, after calming down, I finally beat it with an 8:58.9 :cool:

LeiF and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  16. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

GPL is the reason why I got into sim racing. Don't drive it at all these days, might just have to fire the old girl up again.

It's just amazing that GPL lives on and it's incredible that Jim Pearson is close to finishing his IOM.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  17. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

I loved and hated GPL so much. Loved: the Ferrari, Watkins Glen, Zandvoort, Monaco, Mosport, Rouen Les Essarts, Silverstone. Hated: Nordschleife, Spa.. because I was too lazy to learn them and because my steering wheel settings were probably all wrong, wheel was too sensitive so it was a hit or miss experience all the time. I remember Spa: past Masta Kink (when I survived it) I was so exhausted I was just driving around to the finish line. Still, a flying lap at Zandvoort or Rouen or Mosport or Monaco was quite the experience, nothing compared to the thrill of that. There was no way you could play GPL as a "videogame", you really had to focus on your driving because danger was everywhere. Exhausting, but super rewarding when you got it right. I have the CD and everything, but no, I prefer to keep good memories and play AC.

18. fabT

fabT Alien

Curva grande turn-in by slightly backing off the gas and going full throttle again, controlling a 4 wheels drift at 250+ kph ...
    That unforgiving Parabolica braking zone ...
    Going full throttle through the tunnel at Monaco and nailing that damn tight S with belly scraping the ground ...

Each turn a challenge.
    The feeling, the memories.

Grand Prix legends was a beautiful game and an unrivalled sim milestone ( at the time ).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  19. Orne

Orne Alien

Great sim in 1998 when it was released although I have no interest in revisiting, no nostalgia yearnings in my veins! HAHA

20. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Just downloaded the Targa and the Sportscars mod, and it’s still a masterpiece. No Targa conversion comes close. So much for nostalgia...

Fat Rich likes this.
  21. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

I will always remember this