1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

PS4 Graphic Effects Removal/Downgrade (1.9)

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by tebtengri, Dec 8, 2016.

1. tebtengri

tebtengri Rookie

Hi all - I am new to the forum and want to say I really enjoy Assetto Corsa. Playing on 55' Samsung 1080 PS4 Pro.

One thing I noticed is the visual effects were removed in the latest version. I posted about depth of field and blur effect in another thread. But here are some screenshots for comparison.

Look at the dashboard lights.

Before

[​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

And it actually visible from the replay cameras. Look at the headlights and blur effect on the car that are no longer visible after update.

These were taken before the update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully that can be fixed with the hotfix.

svenvangent likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Better graphics effects? Mar 5, 2019
    General modding discussion Graphic changes 1.8 & 1.9 - Skybox and fog effects, why exactly? Oct 27, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Here's where the new graphical effects comes from (yebis 2) Oct 16, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Misano - skybox black flashes, graphics glitches, FPS drops Mar 10, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions No Graphic settings Sep 7, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Barcelona Turn 10 graphical texture issue May 29, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal Error - Problem with AMD Graphics Card? - Solved May 7, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions graphics old assetto corsa Mar 13, 2023
    Bug reports Charmeleon graphic glitch in Paul Richard Mar 1, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions horrible graphics. Jan 9, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting (1.8.19) UE4-AC2 crashes every time after I bought new graphics card. Dec 6, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Graphics/lag on race updates Sep 27, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting FPS is low with new Graphicscard RTX 3080 Sep 6, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Assetto Corsa Compeotizione - G923 - turning steering wheel freezes graphics but sound still plays Mar 27, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Too bad graphic with new PC Mar 25, 2022

3. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

Just out of curiosity, how were able to establish that this is a graphical downgrade?

The post-processing filters were changed in the latest update, with the default filter now looking a lot more natural, without the "godrays" and flaring. This is most likely why the LEDs and lights no longer flare like they used to. One might sat that it looks more natural, but to say it's a downgrade is a bit much in my view.

Mauler_77 likes this.
  4. barkx_

barkx_ Racer

Like the new one much better and before we talk about graphics, this is a Sim and I prefer stable framerates than a AAA-polish graphic o_O

LeDude83 and paul_wev like this.
  5. tebtengri

tebtengri Rookie

The visual quality is not there for me personally so I guess I consider it a downgrade. I don't think the default filter had those effects during replay only when you select expanded - at least I had an option before the update.

Also I am not sure if I saw the removal in the patch notes.

6. protonv5

protonv5 Racer

Uh.... Actually, I'm wondering why your images look amazing compared to mine. The game has never looked even as good as any of your images that you show here. I've always thought the graphics in the game on my setup do not look good at all. I have a standard PS4 and an LG 4K TV. How do I get your 'poor, downgraded' quality? That would be an upgrade for me. Anyone?

7. Plato99

Plato99 Simracer

Framerates have improved. Dashboard lights have stopped flaring.
    I know which has the most impact on my enjoyment.

8. tebtengri

tebtengri Rookie

Well I am a console gamer and prefer visuals to match at least what PC users have at the moment especially on Pro :)

These were taken before the update!!! Notice the depth of field and blur effect on the replay

9. tebtengri

tebtengri Rookie

I am ok with dashboard lights not flaring but post processing effect had nice visual quality on the replays that are no longer present. To me just looks plain now!

10. barkx_

barkx_ Racer

I am also a console Gamer since PS1 :) But before we have good Graphics (BTW I think it looks very good for a SIM) I prefer stable FPS on a Full Grid. Races against 15 KIs on the Nordschleife is still affected by framedrops ..

LeDude83 and Mauler_77 like this.
  11. Game performance should always come before visuals.. It's nice to have both but a stable framerate should always be a priority especially in a sim racer. There will be no differences between the ps4 pro and the ps4 when running assetto corsa. In the future it would be good if there was a game update for assetto corsa to run better on the pro and the Xbox Scorpio when it launches

LeDude83 likes this.
  12. tebtengri

tebtengri Rookie

I am not saying it looks bad at all. Inside sim racing did a bit on Assetto Corsa and called it the most beautiful game:) and they showed some shots from replay mode with all those post processing effects that made me buy the game.

My main concern now is that its just doesnt look good anymore during replays :( and hopefully they will bring it back with at least an option.

I just thought that it was a bug with recent update and I remeber when Far Cry 4 had god rays removed everyone went bat **** over it :)

13. Luke7

Luke7 Simracer

Ok, we don't know the reason behind the changes. Most likely it was for a performance gain to squeeze out a few more frames per second.

If that is the case I'm afraid I will just echo what the others have said; namely that frames per second are more fundamental in a sim than eye candy effects.

14. River Ruckus

River Ruckus Simracer

This thread put a grin to my face. After 1.09 I immediatly noticed the better framerate, and I was really looking hard, while driving of course (I never watch replays, what a snorefest lol), and was always thinking: "Where did they pull the processing recources from? Is it just pure code optimization, or did they cut some effects?" But I couldnĀ“t find anything that struck my eye. Well, now I know. Love it Kunos. You got your head in the right place.

liakjim, Plato99 and Luke7 like this.
  15. River Ruckus

River Ruckus Simracer

First of all sorry for double posting. Just wanted you to know that in the video options menu you can change the "colour filtering" option to "Expanded", which gives you some light flare and depth of field blur effects back, if not all of them. Correspondedly I believe the performance in frames per second takes a small hit again (although not as much as before 1.09). Might be worth a try.

16. tebtengri

tebtengri Rookie

Are you talking about 1.10 update? I don't think those effects are back - at least for me maybe I need to re-install the game...

My original thread actually mentioned that before the update the post-processing effects were only visible (mostly in replays) when you select expanded filter and not on default or sport.

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...ost-processing-motion-blur.40163/#post-801507

17. Mauler_77

Mauler_77 Racer

But the framerates aren't stable. There's obvious performance dips when running a full grid race as opposed to say, 10 or 12 cars, and the difference between free practice and a race is also clear, Nords being the biggest culprit. I hope to see more optimisation going forward, but it has come a long way since launch for sure.

ZX636 likes this.
  18. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Erm...am I the only one to notice that the 1st two pics in OP are different cars?!?

19. Pleite

Pleite Simracer

Are they? They're both from a Italia GT2 in different cam views, no? Well, so it seems to me, at least.

Edit: just looked at it again and I must say I'm confused because of the different shape of the leds on the panel. Which cars would they be if not both a 458 GT2? Maybe one of them from the 599xx?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  20. tebtengri

tebtengri Rookie

Yes these are different cars the bottom one is 458 GT 2

21. ppbucko

ppbucko Hardcore Simmer

quality spot ledude. ive been loking for 10 mins and the only difference I can spot is the one at the top has 1 aero foil on roof and the one underneath has 2. I love a good spot the difference competition.