1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Hard to say I'm sorry

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by aotto1977, Jun 28, 2017.

1. aotto1977

aotto1977 Hardcore Simmer

Dear fellow sim racers,

last night I got kicked from a server.
    [​IMG]

By a somewhat short-tempered admin who went all VET behind HAM behind SC and even got more upset when I rejoined to at least ask what the exact problem was and to explain myself – the latter turned out to be a rather hopeless attempt, but that's another story.

Anyway, this is what happened:
    After the start I lost the rear of my Porsche in Eau Rouge, gyrating towards Raidillon. The unavoidable (at least mid field at race start) happened: One of the guys – the mentioned admin – hit me in the side.
    Dust settled, cars were realigned and the race went on.

Some corners later the guy in front of me had similar issues in Pouhon, lost his rear, spun and I could not avoid hitting him. This was about the time I noticed the admin was hollering at me in the chat and while I took the time (standing in the gravel anyway) to read what was up and type an apology, I got kicked.

After my rejoin the admin read my charge:
    1. collision with him without typing "sorry" at once
    2. collision with the other guy
    3. being a disrespectful jerk by any possible means because of 1 and 2

Coffee break.

[​IMG]

So here's my point of view.

First of all, I'd like to see myself as a humble guy to race with and against, and do my best to act as such.
    I get way more Minorating CP by getting hit than hitting others. I stick to the MR Simracing Rules as good as possible and rather lose a position than risk a collision.

But still some incidents happen, because of reasons and racing. So far, my way of handling these is to continue / resume racing (if not totally damaged), saving discussions for later.
    If I still feel like talking about an incident, I do it after the race. Which is good IMHO, because until then my temper had a chance to cool down, maybe I rethought the situation and decided not to call people names and yelling four letter words.
    Also, due to my living room setup, I'd have to come to a full stop and grab my wireless keyboard to chat.

The mentioned admin accused me of not doing so. I call it ridiculous.

I mean, if the case is clear and I hit someone due to my own fault, I lift the throttle, let the other guy pass again and apologize after the race. Worked 100% fine so far. (Well, at least if the opponent didn't ragequit before the end of the race, but those people deserve no respect in online racing anyway IMO.)

But apart from that to me it makes no sense to stop the car and type a "sorry" before resuming the race. That's far, far away from the racing we try to simulate.
    So as long as the car is running, I try to continue until the chequered flag drops. (I even do a pitstop for repairs if necessary.)
    IMO that's not disrespectful by any means; while the session says "race" I expect everyone to do so and lick the wounds later.

I do know the meaning and importance of respect and an apology (if applicable), but since we're talking about sprint races with some 7 laps or so, a talk after the race in the chat should be soon enought, isn't it?

(By the way: I do know the possibility of mapping a "sorry" chat message to a wheel button, but apart from the chance of hitting that button by accident and sending random "sorry" messages, to me a button mapped message is about as personal as an automated birthday greeting email.)

What are your thoughts about this?

XettMan, AvGas, Tim Meuris and 6 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions [Suggestion] additional eye tracking hardware. Apr 27, 2023
    Bug reports Charmeleon graphic glitch in Paul Richard Mar 1, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions It depends on the hardware Jan 7, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Hard reboot of whole system when selecting game mode [PSU failure] Dec 18, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality HP G2 necessary Hardware Oct 5, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Help for a beginner sim set up (hardware) Sep 6, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error [potential CPU/RAM OC complication or RAM hardware issue] May 15, 2021
    ACC Gameplay How to reliably pick an AI level for a close, hard race? Feb 21, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4 fatal error [wide variery - possible hardware issue] Feb 17, 2021
    ACC Tools SimHub plugin: Automatic steering wheel hardlock/softlock (SimuCUBE, Thrustmaster) Jan 28, 2021
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues ACC Server Hardware Requirements Jan 12, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Lets benchmark the new hardware for ACC VR Nov 21, 2020
    Chit Chat Room The Genius (Casillo) working or enjoying his hard earned money? Oct 19, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions New hardware; low FPS..? Sep 25, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Freezes after race/stint [hard drive sleep mode] Sep 18, 2020

3. I don't have any messages mapped to buttons. If I know an incident is my fault, I slow down and wait for the other driver to continue (or return to the pits if I feel suitably ashamed). I always apologise to the other driver when the race is over, even if that apology is (for example) directed at "the guy who was driving the red BMW". If the incident is not my fault, then I carry on and finish the race. I guess some admins can be trigger happy if you are new to their servers, or if you happen to take out one of their Free Mason mates ;)

4. Turk

Turk Alien

I notice that some servers say have chat open, I never do, I don't have room for it in VR and wouldn't really be able to reply as I can't see my keyboard. I leave all that kind of stuff for after the race.

Are other drivers using the same set of skins though? IE: From your perspective it might be a red BMW from their perspective it might a white BMW.

I do find it hard to know who I'm racing, I don't have names on and don't use any apps when racing, especially since starting to use crewchief.

5. aotto1977

I guess that guy just had a Trump moment. Some races later he threw a tantrum and even banned another driver for merely nothing. Other regulars stated he just banned a super clean and fair racer for nothing, but he would refuse to even watch the replay.
    The chat was all soap opera. :rolleyes:

(And I had a hard time not to tell him to go for a good wank to cool down ffs.)

6. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I use this chat app:
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/esotics-just-for-chat.14379/

It allows up to 20 messages you only have to click on with your mouse, some of them I use as standard messages (Hi, sorry, gl, gr), but also for admin messages (for lag/warp, lapped guys, etc.).
    Sometimes I write a message while I'm on a straight.
    Though I don't expect another driver to respond while driving. If they do it's nice of them, but as an admin I would never expect that.
    But slowing down and/or giving back a position or even waiting for the other driver shows that you have clean intentions.

Though if I'm certain I wasn't at fault at an incident I keep racing without slowing down, but that's a different issue.

But a reply or apology after the race is much appreciated.
    Sadly many guys don't even respond if you try to chat with them after the race.

For me this is a No-Go.
    I kick ppl. without watching the replay if I'm certain, watch the replay if I couldn't tell (for sure) what happened, but to ban somebody I either confirm my suspicions by watching the replay or it had to be blatant wrecking. But even then I usually watch the replay.

Biner likes this.
  7. I need to make a better effort at not posting any chat messages at all when the race is in progress. I tend to respond with a couple of sentences if some idiot has taken me out with a careless (or deliberate) move, but I really should not be distracting other drivers during the race :oops:

8. Thread needs more Canada[​IMG]

9. aotto1977

I have to admit during that sopa opera part I almost lost control of the car because I eyed the chat window all the time. :D

But due to Plugins like pTracker, PPL (?) and such that use the chat for communicating, it's popping up all the time anyway.
    Maybe AC should implement some kind of dedicated channel for plugin communication.

10. LChaves

LChaves Hardcore Simmer

This thread needs a soundtrack.

paul_wev and aotto1977 like this.
  11. aotto1977

Finally some got the quote, @LChaves ;)

LChaves likes this.
  12. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

The other reason I don't use the Kunos chat app. The one previously linked also filters out messages by stracker, PLP, etc.

Sometimes I see only real chat messages while driving, then go to pits after finish and there is a wall of PLP and other stuff in the chat window.

Also no more color coded players where some colors are not easy to read, but maybe you can edit the default colors on the KS chat app.

13. aotto1977

afaik the ptracker chat also filters PLP as soon as I stop procrastinating the RegEx edit.

Schnipp likes this.
  14. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I did filter stracker messages, but not PLP. Maybe I didn't have it configured correctly.

15. aotto1977

Schnipp likes this.
  16. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Nice, but since I sometimes (rarely though) type while driving I can't use a hotkey based app for it.
    Also my keypad is already used for Joy2Key bindings.

17. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

I dont say sorry immediately most of the time, first of all because texting while in a car is illegal.

And then because its requiring me to find a good place to stop to write safely without impeding someone else race. And then the whole field goes by and it gets boring, we're here to race after all. Also, real life race drivers dont chat while driving. I'll let the other guy by, and try my best to safely express an apology, with soft and gentle lights flashing most of the time. Then we can get a beer and read poetry to each other.

mantasisg 2, LeiF, aotto1977 and 2 others like this.
  18. aotto1977

After all, sim racing is about love and passion.

19. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Although I stopped using them for a reason I can't tell, you might have a look at courtesy and lurker. Keybinding for configurable tells like "sorry", lurker was pretty handy to sort out messages and be little intrusive.

20. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Completely agree, I never text and drive, though I have to admit to drinking beer at the wheel.

You can crash into me all day long mate if you are buying the beer, no need to write me a poem though :D