1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Help with my steering deadzone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Marketcrash16, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Hadn't played AC in months so I had several updates to install. I immediately noticed a difference in the handling. I have a G27 and they aren't the greatest I know, but with the updates my formerly annoying pedals felt AMAZING. The ffb is also much improved. The only issue I have( which I didnt before) is an annoying loose dead zone. I have added some "minimum force" but it is still there. I DON'T want to add "centre spring" so is there any other way to adjust this? Otherwise this feels amazing.
    thanks for any assistance

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Steering Wheel skipping first 10% Mar 30, 2024
    ACC Hardware Discussions Problem with G29 steering wheel Mar 17, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Steering not working CSL DD Feb 27, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals No Steering Detected Logitech G Pro DD Feb 8, 2024
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Steering inverted setting Jan 21, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Strange steering/throttle bug? Dec 15, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it possible to hide steering wheel on XSX? Nov 26, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals It's time to rethink steering lock. Sep 25, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Xbox steering wheel support Aug 9, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Invisible steering wheel/driver and greyed out button Jul 23, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Bentley GT3 Animated steering wheel not moving Jun 23, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals v1.9 Game fps decrease at 0 fps when I turn on the steering wheel May 11, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Logitech G923 not steering Apr 29, 2023
    ACC Physics Steering lock of Ferrari 296 not correct Apr 23, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Ferrari 296 steering wheel animation Apr 20, 2023

3. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Simracer

Hi mate ,

The only other way world be lut gen ,it flattens the ffb signal and makes it more linear ,don't usemin force after ,instruction is in the link too

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/lut-generator-for-ac.9740/

Thomas

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  4. Thank you. I have never heard of this. I will give it a shot.

Appreciate the help.

5. Horus

Horus Alien

Also adding a little damper effect can help. If you go for LUT make sure you have all the settings set before using it otherwise you start to screw up the FFB. :D

6. Fat-Alfie

Fat-Alfie Hardcore Simmer

Also, be aware that each time AC is updated certain .INI files are "factory reset". Areas which people (me) often change and forget are:

assetto_corsa.ini
    [FORCE_FEEDBACK]
    FF_SKIP_STEPS=0

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
    ENABLE_GYRO=1
    DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.01
    DAMPER_GAIN=1

[AC_APPS]
    ENABLE_DEV_APPS=1
    SCALE_STEP=0.1

[CAMERA]
    ALLOW_FREE_CAMERA=1

graphics.ini
    [DX11]
    MAXIMUM_FRAME_LATENCY=1

I know I always forget I have changed these lines, and after each update I'm like WTF happened to AC? :rolleyes:

7. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

With the G27 there's the magic number 107 for the Logitech driver gain percentage. This will minimize the center deadzone as close as possible to the physical root cause. I have had a G27 briefly - the min force slider can't do it this well. Then you're wheel will have a non-linear response and you should compensate for that with a LUT.

Horus likes this.
  8. Fat-Alfie

The LUT is designed to remove the deadzone though - 107% in the Logitech Profiler shouldn't be necessary. Personally, I believe you should follow the suggested steps to find the most linear response for your wheel and go with that.

9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I was just adding my experience. The LUT doesn't do anything else than adding a min force. And from my experiments with min force on the G27 I know I didn't like that, at all.
    OP can make his own decision based on all the experience in here.

Horus likes this.
  10. Fat-Alfie

I'm sorry, but it does do more than change the minimum force.

It completely linearises the force response for the wheel. Yes, it does remove your deadzone, but it will also ensure the force at the wheel increase smoothly from 0% to 100%

Adding 8% minimum force to the curve below would not fix the response.

[​IMG]

11. Try my settings from signature. Actually, thanks to little damping and Atle's Anticlipping Tool seems I have no deadzone at all, without using LUT, minforce, and especially 107 in Logitech profiler which gave me very strange and unnatural FFB

12. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Sure it does more than do away with the deadzone. I know that as you can extract from my previous posts where I suggested LUT for helping with the non-linearity that comes from 107 % in profiler.
    Please read my posts more thoroughly if you want to discuss.

LUT deals with the G27 deadzone by increasing the low end forces coming from AC. It boosts the 0 - 9999 DX value sent to the wheel. This is also what the minimum force does. So that's your similarity right there it's the same mechanism.

However, when you adjust the driver through Logitech's GUI, you alter the hardware behaviour of the wheel and leave the raw FFB DX values untouched. And therefore you're treating the issue closer to its root cause. In theory, this is IMO the better approach for dealing with the deadzone.

When I had the G27 I had identified the most linear gain setting with wheelcheck and added the minimum force in AC, accordingly. But it wouldn't feel good. So I took the other approach and chose 107 % gain which is also recommended by Logitech support to minimize the deadzone. The wheel responded a lot better to small forces so I took the side effect of non-linearity as the lesser evil.
    Now we can do both: deal with the biggest flaw of this wheel with the driver and then cure the side effects with the LUT.

If I still had a G27 I'd definitely try that solution, at least.

Horus, Seria17hri11er and Fat-Alfie like this.
  13. Horus

Horus Alien

I did exactly what @LeDude83, did many many moons ago. It is, for me also, the best you FFB you'll get out of the G27. Obviously others have a different experience, but try all means available and pick that which works for you. I have even tried with Damper set to 10-30% but have gone back to zero. Try all the ways possible to skin that Dog. :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    LeDude83 likes this.
  14. Try to play, with damper settings in ac.ini. I'm really surprised how good and natural G27 FFB could be without LUT and min force :p

BTW. with FFB settings is like with partner - everyone has the best one :D

Horus likes this.
  15. Horus

Horus Alien

Tried it @marcinmarcin79, every time there is an update I make a nice new My Docs\AC folder, redo all setting and give it a blast for a few laps. Change a few things from what I had before then try again. But with the LUT thing I keep going back as I get a punchier FFB and can have more strength through the wheel. As you said, we all have it set the best. :)

edit: I also set my 'Max Count = 323' not sure how much of a difference it makes but I tried a few and I liked the results from 150 up, just ended up using 323.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    marcinmarcin79 likes this.