1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Highlands = The better Le Mans!?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Schnipp, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

The last days I have enjoyed racing the classic cars more and more around Highlands and Highlands Long, like Porsche 935, 908, 917's, Sauber C9, etc., even the 919 is huge fun.

This made me think about Le Mans, the track that is always requested but IMO not very enjoyable.
    The two longest Highlands layouts though do have some similarity to Le Mans, but with all the elevation changes, bumps and different kind of turns it has a much better flow to it yet still has it's technical parts.

I haven't had this much fun in the old prototype cars on many other tracks as I currently have on Highlands.
    Kunos really did an amazing job with this fictional track.

I can only recommend to try yourself and would like to hear your opinion on this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC Highlands Drift + My custom clusterboard Aug 3, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Highlands and Highlands Long Dec 16, 2020
    Console Lounge Weekly Hotlap #97 - Horse ride around the Highlands Sep 23, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Want to drive the Scottish Highlands? Try this! Sep 10, 2017
    Chit Chat Room AI races @ Highlands Short Jul 16, 2017
    Chit Chat Room GT3s at Highlands is amazing! Jun 19, 2017
    Console Lounge The Highlands...what a great track but what with the AI May 30, 2017
    Suggestions Remove all fence and guard rails at Highlands track Apr 14, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Highlands Short AI is horrible Mar 25, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues AI Lotus Exos all crash at Highlands long. Mar 25, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Highlands Track Not Working Mar 4, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Highlands Reflections Feb 22, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Highlands track: AI impossibly fast on main straight? Feb 20, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Highlands doesn't work Feb 20, 2017
    Screens & Videos Testing the Audi Quattro rally car around Highlands! Feb 19, 2017

3. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

+1

McLaren F1 GTR for example is a blast around that track...like the both were made for each other.

LeMans is also not my cup of tea. I find it pretty boring since going straight in a sim isn't exciting, at all. Highlands has the speed too but the variety of high speed bends makes it more interesting. Even the long straight is exciting due to the ups/downs.

colombianomd and Schnipp like this.
  4. Jebus

Jebus Alien

As a track it sure is more exciting than Le Mans and I do like it. BUT, it's not Le Mans and I like to drive cars where they have been driven in real life so I would definitely like to see scanned Le Mans one day in AC. Meanwhile I can live with Tiago's conversion though.

Vel, Racert46, BrandonW77 and 5 others like this.
  5. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

To me it just feels wrong to drive race cars around Highland, road cars really shine on it though.

6. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Yes, road cars are great as well.

But the cars I mentioned earlier (excluding 919) weren't designed for most of the tracks we have in AC.
    Tracks in the past were rather faster by having longer straights, faster turns and rather low amount of tights tight turns/chicanes.
    Tracks like Nürb. GP, Barcelona GP, Imola, Vallelunga are good for modern road and racing cars, but the flow of a track like Highlands makes driving the historic cars a much more enjoyable experience.

JusTiCe8, chksix and LeDude83 like this.
  7. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I was actually driving the Moby Dick on Highland and it felt like it handled that road/track good. It still feels weird to me to drive race cars on a regular road. Feel the same way with modded roads and the few times I drove california coast or what its called in pcars, it was only with road cars.

Its not unusual to see populated races with race cars on Highland so you are far from alone to think that its good for it :)

Schnipp likes this.
  8. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I get that there still is the history behind Le Mans and I drove Tiago's mod also, but in the end I rather pick the track that is more enjoyable and Highlands wins over Le Mans in this case.

LeDude83 likes this.
  9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Just imagine it's not a regular road but a private racing ressort of some filthy rich mofo :p The lack of any junction that would justify this ring road might help ;-)

The "race cars on road" reasoning doesn't bother me, personally. It happens IRL in one way or the other (Macau, Monaco, Isle of Men) so it's fine. Didn't even LeMans start off as a race on a regular road?

Jebus and Schnipp like this.
  10. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

LeDude83 likes this.
  11. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Bathurst is also a regular road

Schnipp and LeDude83 like this.
  12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I do like the long version of Highlands, but in my opinion it has the same downside as Le Mans, not being that great in slower cars.
    That's acceptable as you can't expect every track to fulfill the needs for every car, just saying. ;)

Regarding Highlands vs. Le Mans: They both have their charm in some way.
    Le Mans itself is quite cool, but I don't really like the version that is available for download.

Schnipp likes this.
  13. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@Schnipp it could be interesting to have a special "street" fight event with the combo you are stating in your opening post next week end, it would give us time to practice.
    The title of your thread is catchy but their is no comparison between a legend like La Sarthe and a fictional new road/track circuit like Highlands. Apple and Oranges. No reason not to enjoy both for all they have to offer.

rge75, Nick Moxley and Schnipp like this.
  14. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I wasn't thinking about SF for this, we should talk about in the SF thread.

Of course they are not the same and everybody can enjoy what he likes. I was just interested in further opinions since Highlands is the one I enjoy more in the mentioned cars.

But you have a good point, La Sarthe has the legend behind it, but I just want a track that fits the cars and is fun, again, that's Highlands for my taste.

Cote Dazur and Fat-Alfie like this.
  15. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I'm enjoying highlands more and more.

It's pointless comparing it to race tracks, it's just a fun place to drive faster road cars.

JusTiCe8 and Schnipp like this.
  16. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

Spank everything around Highlands, if it survives, it must´ve been a "properly made" ( ^^ ) car, be it street or race .

Hmmmm, comparing Highlands to Le Mans ... I dunno ... both are just tracks on which we drive, with their own unique challenges, so I cant really compare them, sorry :)
    Even so, the fact remains that Highlands is way more exhilarating to drive due to its mountainous character ( Lake Louise, anybody ? That track still makes me a bit giggly after each lap, just from its awesome layout) that challenges drivers harsher than Le Mans would do .
    I like nearly all tracks, except Magione .
    That is not a racetrack for automobiles or motorcycles ... dat thing´s for RC´s ;)

Schnipp likes this.
  17. Jebus

Jebus Alien

Yeah I got what you ment and I'm not saying you're wrong.
    My point was that to me there is no comparison between the two for the reason I mentioned earlier. Next June when there will be the next Le Mans 24 hours race I will "need" the track because I like to drive it before the actual weekend. Same goes with F1 tracks, even if I really hate Monza I still drive it before the F1 weekend.

Cote Dazur and Schnipp like this.
  18. plaid

plaid Alien

LeMans includes a grid of 50 (or how many cars particepated recently?) cars with 3 different classes, LMP1's 2's and GTLM's, changing weather, night, crashes, mechanical failues and a whole lot of action in the pits and around the track.

Hardly comparable with a 24 single class grid with barely anything happening besides the cars driving around on it.

Also it depends which cars you use. A LMP or F car can be quite difficult on a track like the NS while a older slower cars quite boring on a track like LeMans.

Its not only the layout, but the cars and especially the cicumstances.

19. Le Mans is actually really fun somehow. In the iR 24H race a few months back, which I did in GT1 (Aston), I drove a total of 12hrs (doing several triple stints) and it wasnt boring at all. Even in practice it was enjoyable to lap. Maybe it's the atmosphere.

Jebus and Berniyh like this.
  20. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Driving race cars around the all four Highlands layouts is where that fictional track shines in my opinion. It's more difficult than it looks, you have to learn the racing line, the turns and braking zones, there's plenty of bumpy sections, jumps you need to avoid, lots of areas that are good for overtaking. For something that isn't a race track it makes for a pretty good one.

Schnipp likes this.
  21. Jebus

Jebus Alien

Yeah I don't think Highlands is good for street cars only. 98t is awesome in the long version, the way it flows it's almost zen like experience.

Schnipp likes this.