1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How many seconds can a good setup save you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Tal.S, May 9, 2014.

1. Tal.S

Tal.S Racer

I see those guys on top of the RSR board.
    I try to match their times (of course, with no avail), but I am getting kinda close.
    Im missing about 4-5 seconds to reach their speed, but when watching their replays (this guy uploaded all his AC record times to watch) I follow their lines pretty closely, trail brake, and do almost exactly as they do, but they seem to carry more speed through every corner, when I'm struggling for grip.
    Is it their setup that is made for hotlapping? It's driving me crazy, as I am quite a decent drivers, even a good one, and I just can't see where I can shave 4-5 seconds.
    Any tips?
    Thank guys

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds any server with many different mods crashes on startup Mar 2, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Fatal error - so many since v1.8+ - please HELP [faulty RAM module] Sep 27, 2022
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Incorrect power curves in many cars Dec 13, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Why to many Pit Stops 1hr race PS4 Sep 8, 2020
    ACC User Interface tyre set, how many laps? - suggestion Apr 18, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer How many times... Mar 15, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Seems like there are many simple fixes to improve the VR experience that Kunos could be making Mar 10, 2020
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars FPS dropping with many players on a server Feb 25, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Mandatory Stop does work with one player on a server - but not with many. Why? Feb 8, 2020
    ACC Physics How many laps in a tyre set? Jan 4, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Wanted: As many drivers as possible to stress our dedi Server tonight. Nov 3, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Monza AI - Too many accidents Oct 25, 2019
    ACC General Discussions How many hours per week do you run the Sim? Sep 7, 2019
    ACC Multiplayer Driver Swaps do not work - many bugs and issues Jul 19, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Rift S dropping frames, too many frames? Jun 23, 2019

3. Darkkis

Darkkis Racer

I tried a different setup on nurburging with z4 GT3 and shove off like 2 to 3 seconds, but still about 4 seconds off the record. I'm as confused as you are. :/ 3 things I've noticed that affect your time are 1) Your driving (no brainer) 2) Setup 3) Your tyre temperature . Still even if I get these 3 perfect, still it's impossible to catch these record holders..

Anything else to note?

4. Practice, practice, practice. I think most of the top guys have been play simulators since the genre existed. I seen somewhere else somebody said "some of these people don't even go outside" or something a long the lines.

I'm at the same point as you 4 or 5 seconds off the WR times and many other people will tell you that set ups help. I'm guessing the next 3 or 4 secs are getting the correct setup for you and the next 1 or 2 are practice and skill. they are referred to as aliens for a reason!

5. Tal.S

Tal.S Racer

What do they do to the setup that allows them to have THAT much more grip?
    I mean, I either over or understeer through an entire corner (mostly understeer), and Im just out of grip so fast.. What makes a setup so good?

6. TCLF

TCLF Alien

they don't necessarily give you way more grip, but give you a better balance (suited for the driver) which makes you able to go way faster trough the turns without losing grip. that's why teh fastest drivers are both good drivers and good setuppers

GothaR and OffAgain like this.
  7. Tal.S

Tal.S Racer

Is there a tuning forum in here, that can help me out with tuning some cars?
    For example, the E30 DTM likes to step it's front out alot when cornering, but decreasing toe seems to make it too oversteery.
    Any way to eleminate understeer without encouraging oversteer?

8. TCLF

TCLF Alien

It's finding the balance between it. A car like the E30 has not much downforce, meaning that it will never just "grip". when you set it to a more oversteery setup (what most fast drivers do) you just have the job to not overdrive your car and not coming ino a situation where you have to countersteer.

some other guy also asked about a setup guide: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...arn-about-suspension-setups.9302/#post-138165

there might be the answer for you

9. Mogster

Mogster Alien

There isn't one setup that'll work for everyone, different driving styles can need completely different things.

WallyM, cobra188d and TCLF like this.
  10. Tal.S

Tal.S Racer

Thank you so much!

11. I don't know that much about set up apart from they make you go quicker I'm at the same point as you around 5 seconds behind WR time on most cars and tracks.

12. If you can push a car and get the most out of it then a setup optimized to the track and your driving style can take off a good couple of seconds.

Set aside some time and tinker with the settings. Start with front and back wing, camber, gearing and tyre pressures.

Most settings come down to a trade off between turn in vs corner grip. There are other factors also but that is at the most basic level.

fuyas likes this.
  13. Gerben

Gerben Gamer

Don't compare to the fastest times but try to focus on your own times and learn how to improve little by little and be patient.

In iRacing if you are with the top 5% of drivers you are still 1 second of the pace of the best times. Top 10% is 1-2 seconds of pace of the best times....
    Most people however are 2-4 seconds slower then the top times...

Driving is easy but driving fast isn't.... and the truth is most people aren't fast or skilled enough and no setup will change that.

When you have the baseline setups most people don't even come close to the performance the car in this default trim can deliver. When people start playing with setups they often gain time because they are practicing more when trying to adjust setups and in fact they learn to know the limits of the car better.

A nice setup can make you feel more comfortable with the car and thus allow you to push more but you will never gain or loose 4 seconds with a good or bad setup.

Practice, skill and the ability to learn from your mistakes are far more important... but for most people it is more easy to blame the setup then to blame their own driving skills.

Don't get me wrong. Learning how to adjust setups will make you a better driver overall and will allow you to pick up faster new cars and sims but if you think using the same setup as the fastest driver will benefit you, you are wrong.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  14. Nao

Nao Alien

There is no dedicated forum but we could have a discussion here.

Firstly just changing grip values, its impossible to reduce understeer while not increasing oversteer, (it's basicly the same variable just with different sign).

But it is possible to tune the setup so that the driver feels less understeer (think: setup that instead of changing car balance, changes the driving style)

In case of the DTM car, in what particular cases you feel understeer? Is it right as you apply the throttle, maybe later as you exit the corner. Are you applying the throttle slowly from mid turn coasting, or slam the accelerator right as you are of brakes.
    Maybe it is mid corner understeer, with what gear are you cornering, are you keeping the same speed, or maybe you are trailbraking into the turn, etc etc. Problem is that for each specific case there are several different options to go for in setting up the car.

Notably if you use toe against understeer (i assume more rear negative toe) try increasing coast differential strength to stabilize the car on entry.

15. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

Experience does count. If you have something like 1000 online races, its hard not to be a good driver!

And this talk of "they dont even go outside" its bs. Simracing is just like any other hobby. I play guitar and sims for ~20 years now, of course i will be better than someone who started 2 years ago right? Why? Because there is techniques that you absolutely need to learn, there are no shortcuts.

16. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

Yes, brake, throttle and steering input.

I bet any record holder would do at least a top10 time with a just "average" setup.

Setup isn´t a magic wand. Its just the means that the driver can extract the maximum of the car. But if you don´t extract the maximum, there´s no way a setup will help. First will need to understand what you´re doing wrong, how the car wants to be driven and act accordingly.

17. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

Maybe thats just your pace and setups had nothing to do with it? Its easier to compare yourself against someone you know instead of wr´s.

With time you know more or less where you stand against others. I know lots of people who would be very close to my times, because they´ve been close to me for years in many situations. Same thing with the guys faster and slower than me.

18. Tal.S

Tal.S Racer

I drive smoothly yet agressively. I brake late, down to the apex (trail braking) and I accelerate as much as the corner lets me. I don't just mash the throttle and deal with what ever comes.
    The most fustrating understeer for me is turn in and mid-corner.
    If I remove some toe from the back, or the front, I get too much oversteer out of the corner. Not a trade off I want for a slightly better turn in.
    What else should I try and do?

19. Nao

Nao Alien

This depends on the car type and on track surface... but in general:

Just the initial turn in - more front toe out, more front bump damping, stiffer ARB/front springs - this will give understeer thou so it needs to be corrected with other setup options.

From turn in to apex - brake balance rear (you should ride the brakes almost up to apex)(use ABS on cars that has it and don't have brake balance option), earlier downshifts (you can change gearing so that you can ride the turn in on higher RPMs), less differential coast strength (this is *the main* one but not every car has it), better front damping (this is entirely track/car dependant, so you need to experiment: change front bump higher or lower to see if it gains grip, rebound works also but less rebound make the car oversteery on throttle application, which can be then cured with other options.), try more front camber and counteract the change in balance with other options (the camber change will give a little more grip on higher loads than on lower when accelerating, so the net change should be felt as slight increase in grip on turn in)(*).

From apex to full throttle application point - in theory the transfer from braking to acceleration should be done instantly, thus keeping the outside of the car properly loaded. But when not driving at the limit there might be a points of the turn when the front looses the load but its too early to accelerate, in that case the only real way to get out of this through setup would be to move the whole car balance to the front (springs/ARB's/camber/tyre pressure/rear toe/rear damping/ etc) and just live with the oversteer. So to fix this it's better to concentrate on driving style rather than setup (it will be faster too).

(*) the last one i'm not sure about, and its heavily car/setup dependent.

fuyas likes this.
  20. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

the best example is Klaus Ellenbrands Exos S1 Setup for Monza.
    My Setup was either understeery or oversteery. His one is perfectly balanced and driveable.
    You dont have more grip, but more faith into the car.
    Cutted 3s off my PB and now i am only 1s slower than him

Phil64 likes this.
  21. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

funny just this morning i was watching heel toe shifting videos on youtube, faster outs on corners, havnt tried it so i dont know if it works in the game but everything counts