1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How to run Ubuntu alongside Windows?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Poguinhas, May 27, 2017.

1. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

So basically, I bought an Ubuntu laptop (because of cheaper) and installed Win10 on its place. Now I rang support and they said I need the original OS to get support. Can somebody just tell quickly how to run Ubuntu alongside Windows?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds night run Mar 18, 2024
    Chit Chat Room Running ACS.EXE with Arguments for Custom Races Oct 19, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting Right after 1.9.1 update game doesn't run. It gives an error. [Verify Steam integrity] Apr 25, 2023
    ACC Troubleshooting After update 1.9 the game crashes while running Apr 22, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds I cannot run the game on 64-Bit Apr 18, 2023
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Can't start Race with Mods due to Runtime Error Jan 23, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Porsches run out of fuel at Spa 60 minutes Jan 7, 2023
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Running AC Ultimate edition on PS4 Oct 18, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Unable to run at 64-bit Sep 24, 2022
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Will not run when "START" is pressed Sep 24, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer How is my level calculated for running with my peers? Aug 19, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Running admin commands on a PS5 server Jul 19, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Speedrunning Career Mode TA, weird points system Jul 14, 2022
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Assetto Corsa rally timing framework - Patrick Brunner's co-driver mod 2.0 Jun 18, 2022
    ACC Troubleshooting Game runs on iGPU Jun 6, 2022

3. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Create a second partition without a file system. Install Ubuntu into that partition and add Windows 10 to the bootloader (actually it should do that automatically).
    There are plenty of wiki/howto articles about that sort of stuff, so run a search if you want details, I don't think this is the appropriate place to discuss this.

The main question is: why did you call for support? was it for hw issues? in that case the OS shouldn't matter (tell them that).
    If it was about win10 issues, then installing Ubuntu won't help you anyway.

4. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

It is a HW issue, but since their bad will won't seem to end before I install the original OS, I figured it's easier to do that than try to explain it to them.

5. Skybird

Skybird Alien

What they will give you in support, most likely will then be aimed at the original OS the device came with: Linux. ;)

HW issue, you say, but not what it is. Could be that W10 is causing the issue, its not really unknown to do that... The whole W10 thing is a single monolithic "issue."

You can alternatively try this: google for one of ther many guides telling you how to install a bootable Linux Ubuntu version on a USB stick and then launch the device with this USB stick. You need an Ubuntu ISO for that, and a tool that creates bootable USB sticks. You then boot and end up in Linux and have no messed up boot manager written on your HD, there is a risk that a wrong selection of options leads to this and sees you ending up with a device where you cannot load your wanted OS anymore, repairjng the boot manager is possible then, but tricky if the person doing it is new to the whole stuff. Once you booted into Linux via the stick, check the hardware whether your issue is present under Linux as well, if not, then you know it is a W10 problem. Maybe you will need to play around with different graphcis drivers before your Linux runs stable again, this can happen to be needed.

fr13del likes this.
  6. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

It's actually a simple issue: I bought a laptop and the actual hardware specs are different from the ones announced at their website, so I called their support and (not sure if trying to avoid responsibility or just eliminate every variable) they said I need the original OS to get support. Quite a lot of BS, since OS won't change my CPU clock, but if it's one less way for them to stall my support then I'll just do it. I just don't want to have to erase all my Windows files to do it, so I'll probably create a small partition just for Ubuntu, and if they finally decide to take the product back I'll just leave only the Ubuntu install to make them happy.

7. fr13del

fr13del Racer

Yep, linux-stick, best way to go, i would say. I always have a linux-stick by my side, if someone calls out "hardware-issue".
    For devices with pre-installed OS: always install your OS of choice alongside - going Dualboot for a lttle while; if everything runs fine, you can still delete the unwanted OS later. ;)

Dont know, but since your profile says brazil - you may find some info over there -> http://ubuntuforum-br.org/ . :)

edit
    Sounds like they only want to get out of the warranty somehow. Never had something like this...

Edit2
    But aren't you going to "lose" your win-install, if you have to send it in or get it replaced or something?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  8. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

Does sound suspiciously like it. But let's see, on monday I'll get back to them with the new-old OS, and if they open up their excuse book again I'll just ring some consumer protection service.

fr13del likes this.
  9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I do not know the laws in Brazil, but in Germany, if the advertised hardware specs do not meet those of the hardware you got, it would not matter what OS is installed, the fault is theirs and they could be legally held accountable for it. We call it "irreführende Werbung" in German (§5 UWG). This includes not de facto wriong info and wrong statements given about a product - already formulating it in a fashion that could easily be misunderstood by people and could raise misleading impressions, is something the seller could be held accountable for. Compare what you have to that in Brazilian laws. I think what I just described for Germany, indeed is Europe-wide EU law.

Consider to meet your consumer rights organisation immediately.

If the info said for example it is an i7 CPU, but you get only an i5, then it does not matter what you did with the original OS anymore. It does not change the fact that you were misinformed by them - and that is the point, becasue you formed your decision to buy on the basis of this erratic info.