1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is there too much traction on AC? Comparison with real driving experience

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Fab456m, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

In my opinion the game doesn't have too much grip, a racing car isn't trying to kill you all the time, they're very grippy and safe.
    In relation to road cars they behave as they should, mostly understeer at same speeds as in reality, only problem is the lack of information about track and tires temperature, if it's too hot of course the car will have more grip, but for sure more updates on this will come.
    What people try to do when creating a simulator like this is to recreate world physics wich is very hard and will never be perfect, anyway AC was the closest thing ever simulated in my point of view... Those who say "it's too grippy" are saying rFactor2 "it's too icy"...

2. Racing_34

Racing_34 Simracer

i still don't get the point, why you're alway tring to compare to other sims behaviour instead of real car's behaviour

D27, Ethan Dean and bigbawmcgraw like this.
  3. Rui Santos

This was for me? If yes, for sure you didn't read my entire post...

SimMan likes this.
  4. Racing_34

Racing_34 Simracer

That wasn't directly to you, was just a general consideration ;)

And mostly I agree with you

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

5. I honestly don't think there is too much grip, if anything some of the cars I have RL experience of seem to have less traction in game than IRL. F458 is a car I have some experience of on track ( my job is as a race driving coach so i have driven these in 'anger' on track) and I feel the semi slicks give a more realistic feel of traction than the road tyres, bearing in mind as well that in UK its rarely ever as hot as it is in game. The various Lotuses (Lotii?) feel spot on to RL counterparts and although I havent driven the race cars in game I have had the opportunity to drive plenty of slick shod-high bhp and torque race cars and they do have lots of traction. As has been pointed out already, a race car, especially one designed for endurance, is easy to drive at 95% which is what they are designed to do. The last 5% is the diff between the good and the very good but that doesn't mean the car is all armfulls of oppo to get there, its about eeking every last ounce out of the performance you have at your disposal which AC lets you do like no other sim I've tried. The feel is as close to RL as I can imagine on a home PC. RL techniques work exactly as they should, the car behaves at and over the limit as it should. When the weather effects are enabled and we have chilly and damp days to drive then the cars will be a handful because they are not designed for that condition, then its all about arm twirling and deft throttle control. Braking is a similar thing. Race cars can brake SO late compared to road cars, it really is the defining factor of any proper race car. Massive ability to brake late and with lots of stability.

6. SimMan

SimMan Racer

I've done various track days ( mainly at silverstone which is 25minutes from my house )

When pushing the car one is seriously engaged & concentrating (real world)

I find this also in certain other sims ( mainly in iracing & rf2 )

But sadly at the moment I'm finding AC way to easy to the point my mind wonders, even when pushing right on the edge (after over 50hrs on AC since launch), to grippy? This may be the reason, what ever the reason I hope updates change things

P.s do I feel a good sim has to be hard ? Yes I do, because flying around Stowe at up to 150mph in a real car is also hard lol (in the real world)

7. Rui Santos

It will allways depend on wich pace you have or wich kind of driver you are, Kunos can't take advices from those who normally are in the bottom of the grids, are 2 or 3 seconds off pace of a good hot lap or don't even have a drivers licence. I've spun many times in AC trying to beat my best times. Try that, do a time you think is really good and try to beat that really hard, for sure you'll find yourself too many times in wrong way or off track which in a real online race will bring you down to the back, lol. Turn allways all aids off and ABS off in game "CTRL+A".

Enjoy...

8. SimMan

SimMan Racer

Rui

I started with all aids off from day 1 (ctrl & A + ctrl & b ), this example of that extra last 100th if a second etc is invalid

As this also apples to every title out there including arcade racers even Mario car
    (I'm not saying AC is like Mario car or anything like this)

I'm talking about the WHOLE driving experience, well within the edge / close to the edge / on the edge / over the edge and in the gravel

9. JamesYZN

JamesYZN Racer

If they ever release a boxed version of AC, your post should be the cover art.

10. Sakai

Sakai Simracer

What are your lap times, SimMan?

D27 likes this.
  11. Rui Santos

Lol, don't want to start a war here, it's just my opinion, AC is challenging to me and it's physics are close to real, if you find it too easy something must be wrong, in online races anyway we'll see... :)

12. Requiem84

Requiem84 Simracer

Funny thing is, Mr. Simman also claims to have a lot of real life experience, yet he is saying the total opposite.

Not trying to undervalue you, or his opinion, just trying to say everyone here should be carefull adopting the view of 'real life' experts, because also they can disagree among themselves.

13. SimMan

SimMan Racer

Hiya

I'm not saying I have a lot, I think a lot would be racing in a real world Series, which sadly I have not,

I've added my real track time together and I think it's in between 40 to 50hrs total , this dosn't include go karting which in total I would think a lot more

The last few visits to silverstone (Stowe circuit) I only really done to really think about gforces & ffb response etc to help me setup my motion platform & wheel more true to life or as close to true life as possible.

Obviously we get a lot of sensations from real world track driving (driving a car much much harder & faster than our day to day road cars), there are some sensations we can never get from simulators even with motion platforms or expensive wheels etc, to a certain degree the sim software must do everything it can ( without faking or terrible "canned" effects ) to create as much as immersive experience as possible, some simulators do this very well.

In a real race car going quickly around a track (going fast etc) there is a real sense of danger, the driver dosnt want to damage the car or even worse damage or kill himself, these can not be replicated in a sim, I feel AC feels way to "safe" and way to "planted" this is why my mind starts to wonder even when the sim car (in AC) is right on the edge.
    Is this grip levels?

Each sim seems to have "some guy" the guy who also has the same real world car which is the same to one of the in sim cars and also claims he feels it's pretty much exactly the same (iracing has a few , I think AC has one or two now as well) now if say lets take AC comparing to Iracing they are both have very different approaches to sim cars -they feel very different ...so who is right when comparing to their real world equivalents?

I also read very silly arguments "whats your lap time then?, to drive it hard and get that extra 100th of a second takes a lot of skill" .......isn't this also true with arcade titles & even Mario car

It frustrates me that almost every car driving titles is called a "simulator"

I don't think at the moment AC will have a long period of appeal in its present form , not the appeal of some of the other sims, it's good for a quick slightly mindless (when comparing to other sims) blast, hopefully updates will come to take AC more towards the higher end simulation level, maybe people that need something easier ( but AC fools them into thinking their actually doing something of great skill) will keep AC going?

I do think a good racing sim should be hard, simply because driving round a real world race circuit competitively at speeds of 150mph is also hard. (Aids in a sim are available for people that need help or just what a care free experience)

Thanks for reading (-;

14. Sakai

Sakai Simracer

It wasn't a "silly argument", it was a simple question. :) For example, can you do 1.30 at Vallelunga in FA? The time Daniil Kvyat set both in AC and real life. Take a screenshot of your profile with best laps.

D27 and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  15. SimMan

SimMan Racer

Hiya Sakai

Just to put me in the picture -what do you think this actually means? (Kvyat real world to AC)
    Also what relevance would one of my lap times have on anything I've wrote?

16. And by that you mean a sim with loose back end that steps out God knows why and God knows when with no way to recover from a bigger slide. I have good news, there's rF2.

vektro, D27, Nahkamarakatti and 5 others like this.
  17. Sakai

Sakai Simracer

That probably means that AC is a very good sim, considering telemetry was near identical.

Because if your lap times are nowhere near the limit, i don't see how you can claim that the game is easy.

18. Bigbazz

Bigbazz Racer

Watch Jeremy Clarkson testing the Pagani Zonda R, how he comments about how really easy it is to drive, how it's designed to be driven like buffoons such as him. You want to take a guess at how far below the limit Jeremy was driving? Pretty far I'd imagine.

The laptimes people do when talking about this kinda thing is very important as cars (racing cars especially) are not hard to drive below the limit. If you're complaining about it being too easy while being 5 seconds off the pace then it really does make a difference.

Concerning braking distances, some people say that they are too short. But what do you base this on? If you're going to complain about something without having any solid comparisons or evidence then it doesn't mean anything. When I watch motorsports of high end racing cars I'm always blown away by how late they can brake when they are running qualifying pace, and how early and hard they can get on the throttle. F1 cars in particular on a sticky track and low fuel are often on the throttle hard before they even reach the apex. A perfect example was the Red Bull at this years Singapore GP.

Concerning the X-bow, the conditions are really important. I was driving my car on a slightly damp cold night the recently and it felt slippery, while during the summer on a perfectly warm and dry day it felt very grippy. The tyres used and the conditions of the surface influence this more than almost any other factor. The grip levels in Assetto Corsa could be perfectly accurate in reflecting the surface quality, temperature and the tyres.

vektro, D27, Simos and 6 others like this.
  19. Fab456m

Fab456m Rookie

Thank a lot to all the guys for the important feedback...My historical teammate (we won two nkpro champ title together, we are maybe not the fastest guys but we are quite fast!) ask if maybe there could be different aids based on the steeering wheel device you are using...He has a G27 with H gear and he found the cars quite slippery, I have a Logitech GT driving force with paddle gear and I find the cars quite stable when accelerating...so, question to the developer: is there any difference in terms of traction by using a H gear device or a paddle gear device? Any difference between the two said steering device? My friend tried AC with the keyboard for example, and even without any help the car are almost impossible to spin...
    This could explain some differences....

Another little thing which is strange to me: KTM x-BOW is very difficult car to drive at the limit, it is neutral, which is typical for racing cars...I find it a lot much easier then the M3 in AC, which is way too easier in real life....what do you think about this?
    To support my sentence: I'was on track when Walter Rohrl tested the KTM for us, he found the car really nice and awesome, but he said maybe a bit to difficult to drive for normal people (more difficult then Porche cars for sure - he is the Porsche chief tester ...)

To all the people complaining about the track condition, I repeat I was on track with the KTM X-BOW official tester (both with the STD version and the GT4 light one), in perfect condition, the car was maybe more stable, but he could play the gas to put the car in oversteer with out any problem, I simply cannot do the same in AC so far...

Last point...I've choose Vallelunga as my preferred "testing track", is it possible that there is more grip in comparison with the other tracks?

20. Racing_34

Racing_34 Simracer

take a look at this

i don't know how good are mr. Harris driving skills compared to a professional racing rider but for sure he has an huge experience on high performance car, i belive bigger than 70/80% of us and still he was surprised by braking potential..

@SimMan i guess you're expecting something that being sitted in a room in front a screen could never give you: fear, or facing and controlling fear... it's something strange to manage (and mostly it's the reason why we like speed), but as soon as you get used to speed and the reaction time needed by track driving it mostly disappears (or it gives you the mental strength to go faster and improve)...
    on a good sim you can learn the control techniques, learn the physics which is behind car's behavior and the quality of the sim gives you instruments (or at least an idea) you could use in real life.. but remains a description, a simplified representation of reality....

I think that searching that kind of adrenaline ad immersion from a sim is like tryng to taste a meal watching an image on the menu

vektro, xyr, D27 and 2 others like this.