1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Laptop ideas?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Maarten Steverink, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

I'm getting tired of my pc, and i want a laptop. I'm looking to spend around 1,500 euro's. Any ideas on the specs i need to run AC on high smoothly? I really have no idea about laptops. I think i want 17" or maybe 15,6", nothing smaller!

Thanks in advance!!

Maarten

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Hardware Discussions Laptop or? Jan 26, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality Risky Purchase - laptop VR May 6, 2021
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds New gaming laptop AC massive stutters Feb 11, 2021
    ACC Troubleshooting UE4-AC2 Fatal error after installing NVIDIA driver [outdated integrated GPU driver on laptop] Nov 17, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Recommend me a Laptop Oct 17, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Can I Use My Laptop as a Server? May 15, 2020
    ACC General Discussions PLEASE recommended a laptop Apr 13, 2019
    Screens & Videos Anyone have shadow play working in a laptop!? Aug 6, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Tv + laptop display setup May 25, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Laptop through hdmi to tv only displays 59hz Feb 7, 2015
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Question regarding gui apps displaying on a different computer/laptop Nov 11, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Nvidia optimus laptop + fullscreen rendering = postcard view Sep 1, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Crashing after Start Engine (Lenovo laptop stuff) Apr 16, 2014
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Any Ideas? Sep 17, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Stream Deck as a Button Box - Ideas Aug 29, 2022

3. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Don't buy a laptop for gaming. I would always advise a desktop. Gaming laptops are pricey and often suffer reliability issues because of the heat they produce.

3316V, softgrip and Turk like this.
  4. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I would suggest a gaming PC and a "portable device" if your main motive is AC. I built my PC for less than $400 USD about +3 or so years ago and I can hotlap in AC with max settings everything.
    In any computer these says look for key words like:
    i7 core
    8GB RAM
    SSD (solid state drive)
    HDMI
    etc...

~Bailey

A.r.e.s. and Snjper like this.
  5. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

I got the Toshiba X870 and its okay, but one advice. Just look for the graphic card, CPU like mine is really enough, gpu is more limited here

6. Thanks guys for the replies so far. I know that a laptop is not great for gaming, but i need it for work as well, so that's why i want a laptop.

So graphics cards? Any ideas? 'cause i read somewhere that some 4 gb gpu's arent as good as other 2GB GPU's, and am really confused :D

M.

7. TCLF

TCLF Alien

I have a laptop with a geforce 610M 2GB and its absolutely **** for AC. This is a laptop half your budget though

8. Gary Munson

Gary Munson Racer

yes, laptop for you Maarten, your too fast :). Desktop for sure, why not cheap second hand laptop and the rest building a desktop with the future in mind.

9. Horus

Horus Alien

Laptops for gaming is like buying Dr Martins for the 100m sprint. :)

3316V, softgrip and TCLF like this.
  10. Snjper

Snjper Hardcore Simmer

THIS !!!

With a desktop you have room to grow... with very little limits.. Laptop you get what you get unless you buy a GAMING laptop which are normally 2 times what you want to spend.

You can get an iOS, android, or windows tablet for cheap! -- I bought a win8 tablet (refurb) for $99 usd .. does EVERYTHING I need on the go..

The best part is... you can then use that tablet as a gauge pod for AC :)

11. Well thanks again for the advice guys, but my work has alot to do with music recording/editing, so i need a pretty high end laptop anyway. So a desktop pc or tablet is really not what i need. I just want it to run AC smoothly as well :) And i think it should be possible for around 1500 euro's? Or am i thinking wrong?

12. Blame

Blame Alien

Try finding yourself a good laptop made by Asus or MSI, they're the ones who make the best stuff when it comes to PC's.

13. bondyboy

bondyboy Alien

the quality of asus laptops has been shocking the last couple of years, not sure if improved recently or not

14. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

My Lenovo Y510P was fairly pricy and "high end". It runs AC on medium settings at best. It has two 755Ms in SLI. Good luck playing a resource hungry game like this at high settings on a laptop. Mobile GPUs don't compare to desktop GPUs.

I'm with Bailey. I'd try to build a small form factor custom rig with some impressive hardwars, easy for $1500, EUROS might make it even easier.

Don't. There are many decent vendors, find a laptop that suits your needs if your bent on a laptop.

My desktop spoils me. I don't wait for anything. I want for nothing.....ok more RAM never hurts or SSD space. My laptop feels slower than my previous desktop (fx6100+gtx480) and games definitely look worse. Laptops are overpriced for the hardware, the battery is always a hinderance, and they are much much slower than desktops. If you're looking to buy a new pc, make it a desktop so you notice the upgrade. The change in speed won't be much otherwise.

15. Blame

Blame Alien

Laptops are expensive because you can take them anywhere, just like iPhone 6S, you pay a load more than the hardware is worth, but because they're different from the normal desktops/phones they cost more and they look more appealable. You can't carry a desktop with you, can you - unless you're homeless?

Ofcourse laptops are slower, batteries keep your laptop running and the hardware depends on how powerful your power supply is. High end laptops don't look bad in quality and you shouldn't really, ever compare laptops with desktops. Its like comparing Mac(in this case a laptop) with Windows(desktop), its just that Windows is PC MASTERRACE.

16. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

I can carry my desktop with me, so yea. I have a handle on top, and I take it with me out of state quite often. You'd be surprised how many TVs can act as a monitor with a single HDMI cord.

And I disagree, I believe laptops are overpriced because of market ignorance. A tablet or smartphone can be as effective as a laptop for development, if you know what your doing. The gaming laptop days are over. Laptops should be powerful enough to accomplish what you need but portable enough to not be...well a desktop. Laptop benifits = builtin display, built in input(mouse/kb), form factor, portability. Same benefits as a tablet or smartphone. The OP might as well get a Windows based tablet. Games on high settings is like an oxymo.ron for a laptop. You purchased the lesser, more portable hardware so you could bring it with you. If you want to bring big bad hardware with you, you need the big bad hardware.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2020688,00.asp

my Lenovo is on par with these. These are the cream of the crop apparently. Laptops just aren't powerful enough. If you want to develop, game, or produce, you should get a powerful machine, not a slow and portable one. You likely already have a slow and portable device in your pocket. Just IMHO tho.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B008RJQ0LE&linkCode=as2&tag=thtebusgu-20
    something like this is very portable, tho lacking a built in screen.

17. Blame

Blame Alien

You'd be surprised if you'd see how many people use high end gaming laptops to play games.

18. TCLF

TCLF Alien

just dont pick alienware

19. poet

poet Hardcore Simmer

Never use an audio rig for anything other than audio.
    You need ASIO and a stripped down lean system to do real audio recording and editing.
    Start bunging it up with gaming guff and your audio will suffer.
    You need an audio machine and a different gaming machine.
    Well, you do if you are doing "serious" audio work anyway.
    My £0.02

pieroblues, Bailey and Digital Aura like this.
  20. Digital Aura

Digital Aura Racer

laptop is a mistake. Most are giving you this advice and you refuse to listen. You've already been warned. I also bought a laptop hoping to make it a combo gaming rig/DAW.
    I even went overboard on the specs. Problem isnt with the hardware...it's the limited screen real estate, refresh rates, heat sync issues, etc. It's just not a viable solution for gaming. Even my music is now back on desktop with dual screen set up. Face it..you can't make music with a laptop because you need a good pair of monitor speakers hooked up to it, which means... you need to be sitting at your desk anyways to be plugged into them. And if you dare say headphones...I'll know you're not a viable musician. ;-)

21. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

If you catch me on campus with a controller in my hand, I'd be one of those people. I use my laptop 2 days a weeks to game during a 4 hour gap in classes(I'm a commuter). High settings like the OP asked for? I seriously doubt modern games will run on high at 60FPS.