1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Laserscanned Laguna Seca + 6 bonus cars will be free!

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by ShredatorFIN, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Rennen

Rennen Gamer

It's pretty ridiculous that people discuss the possibility of AC2 PC-only release in the thread of free(!) update. How do you imagine the developers earn money from their work?

Mattbeastblood likes this.
  2. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

Agreed. More stuff to make a better "game" (as It's already an excellent "simulator"). Stefano discussed that with the folks at Eurogamer, so I'm sure they will make the right choices going on. That and more content in the right areas, but that's up to the licensing manager.

pippo10 and Scuderia Paul like this.
  3. Topic up... When will they release the Bonus Pack?

4. I agree and I also hate the idea of that happening. PC gamers are pretty selfish to still be upset that Kunos is taking time to work on the console versions, instead of focusing 100% on PC. Kunos had a perfect opportunity on console because GT Sport hadn't even come out yet, and Forza has always sucked so AC had the opportunity to fill in a void and make some new fans. Made perfect sense to release AC to console and to continue to support it.

There's a huge market of players out there that don't want to have anything to do with PC gaming. I have a gaming PC, and still barely want to have anything to do with it LOL I have AC on PC and PS4, bought all content day 1 on both. Most people don't, but I honestly prefer to play the PS4 version. It's just much more simple for me and more comfortable. Being able to navigate the UI with my steering wheels buttons is a massive plus too.

Hugo Catarino likes this.
  5. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Console is clearly larger market, with more profits to be made. All I'm saying PC-only title (at first, console version released way later) might be realism, since

- Kunos is first and foremost PC developer. Stefano (main coder, mastermind of Kunos) never did any console coding. He doesn't even own a PS4. They do their coding on PC, and then smaller team (inside already small team) ports it
    - It took years until AC was in a state, that was ready for console release (well, actually it even wasn't). It was built for 1 year in Early Access with community, and even "release version" 1.0 on PC was barebones compared to console release version. No matter how much flak console release version got, it was WAY ahead original PC version 1.0 in many aspects, because it was based on PC version 1.5 (iirc)
    - Consoles require finished product on Day 1. Even AC1 wasn't that, it was released 1 year too early. AC2 won't be finished product possibly in years, even if they skip Early Access this time, it's probably eventually a multi-year science project like AC1 was. Not traditional game that is released, updated a few times and then move to working on AC3.
    - This kind of workflow might be more suitable to them, since they can get something out (and receive feedback/money) fairly soon and keep building on it, not stressing about "finished product" on Day 1
    - So.. might make more sense to release first on PC, with more flexible Steam updates and their main development platform. Then (possibly a year, or years later), when it's actually a full game, release on console

Not because of some "Selfish PC gamer" BS but because of realistic thinking. I could be wrong, but just drawing some parallels from what Kunos has done before. Maybe their increased budget after Digital Bros deal + experience from past game allows faster workflow and synced PC/console release, who knows. I could be wrong too. But I think console market is much less understanding/accepting of this "long science project, that you're part of" thing, where game gets updated for years, and the version you first buy is pretty crappy. They are like "WTF where is my game" while PC sim racing community is much more lenient with unfinished features (because all sims on PC have been developed like that, more or less)

As for the bonus back, probably end of 2017. There hasn't been confirmed date, so "when it's ready" as usual

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  6. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I'd have preferred that approach and honesty, instead of being told that graphics and UI would have been the only two different things compared to the PC version (1.5, as you said).
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all in for giving a small studios the time to learn (It was Kunos' first attempt at a console game, after all) and improve the experience (and they did), but I'd like to know what I'm buying in advance. I'm not just talking about missing features and other shortcomings (I can read about them before my purchase), but Kunos' plans to add them in the future. That's something that we, buyers, can't possibly know at first, unless devs tell us about it. I decided to wait and It paid off in the end, but I'm afraid many others didn't have that patience and didn't give AC a second chance, sadly. Sadly, because, as of now, there's nothing that provides such a great driving experience on Xbox and PS.

Dealing with the same UI should help a lot, as Stefano pointed out a while ago. I also hope they keep working on understanding the consoles hardware (unless It drastically changes moving on into the 'next-next' gen).

pippo10, Mattbeastblood and @P73 like this.
  7. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Yep but even if some console users would be accepting of this "early access" approach.... most would pick up the game from some supermarket/store and go "WTF". It's huge audience, most wouldn't be accepting that kind of approach at all. Or aware how this title differs from all other console titles, even if Kunos made it clear from the start. The info doesn't reach majority of people. Customers see it in store, and expect a full product. It simply was released too early, same shouldn't be repeated with AC2.

On PC all hardcore sims like rFactor 2, iRacing, Automobilista, RaceRoom have been (and still are) unfinished products in constant flux of change, spanning over several years. So it's the expectation

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    ZX636 and jaxx_za like this.
  8. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

I don't know... some things have dramatically changed:
    -Assetto now is a very reconized product
    -Digital Bross now owns Kunos
    -They have much more money and people at their disposal compared to 2013

There so many uncertainties than I consider that every possibility with more or less the same probability to happen: from that they released AC only on PC with early access (and no further release on consoles) to a release of the finished game on the 3 platforms.

pippo10 likes this.
  9. The selfish PC gamer comment was referring to PC gamers that don't want there to be a console version of AC at all, which is what I thought was being discussed with AC 2. Releasing PC first then console, is a slightly different story but I still think is a mistake, unless we're talking about doing early access on PC, and full launch to coincide with the consoles launch. That would be the best idea IMO. You make a lot of great points.

Also, Lord Kunos not owning a PS4 is also kind of irrelevant considering I'm sure he uses one at their HQ to do testing. If not, that would be a mistake I think. A developer should want to see what their game is like on all the platforms it belongs to. Especially when it comes to playing it with a controller.

It would be very smart of him (if he's the one who does controller calibration for AC) to compare AC to competition like GT Sport and see how it responds to controller inputs. He recently mentioned not trying GT Sport because he doesn't have a PS4, which is why I'm bringing up (and maybe why you did too). Honestly, I think the best thing they could do is literally try to mimic GT Sports controller settings straight up. It nails the key factors needed for playing a sim with a controller which are being intuitive/natural (not super twitchy/AKA easy to keep in a straight line) which enables precise/smooth inputs (smooth is fast right?) while also being responsive enough to correct oversteer and control slides when they happen. GT Sport is the only sim on console that nails these points. Forza doesn't have the necessary responsiveness (it has speed sensitivity set ridiculously high to where you don't have full steering lock unless you're literally going less than 10 mph), pcars is too twitchy, F1 is a mixed bag. GT Sport though nails it IMO. It's very easy to be precise while also having full control over the steering wheel (and I say steering wheel instead of car because it's not all down to the physics, I mean literally the way the in game wheel responds to inputs on the analog sticks)

When I messed around with the controller settings in AC, this is what I strived for but wasn't able to achieve it fully with the settings provided or the amount of time I had (since I am a wheel users, was only doing controller settings to help console players find the best settings).

Also another issue was what would be good controller settings for one car, wouldn't be for some others so it's actually a very complicated process but one I do think is worth doing ESPECIALLY now that the controller settings are only 2 button presses away from you while you're on track in the console versions.

I think if Kunos spent more time on it, great results could be achieved with the analog stick settings in AC and that could be made into the default settings of AC so players would just have an even better experience out of the box without wanting to do any tweaking.. GT Sport doesn't even have controller settings beyond the basic steering sensitivty because that's how confident they are that they've nailed everything else. Of course, they should be after 20 years of doing it though.

So I'm not knocking Kunos by any means for this (it's really something that very few developers get perfect on the first, second, or even third try when it comes to sims, and simcades), and I'm especially not knocking Lord Kunos, he's the man. I'm just pointing out a reason why everyone at Kunos should have some sort of access to a PS4, and a copy of GT Sport for comparison sake because that is their competition but also, the best example of how to properly calibrate a controller for a racing game. As a side effect too, having similar controller feel to GT Sport will also make it easier for GT fans to get acclimated to AC, since there are a ton of them that have given AC a try (me being one of them years ago, though luckily I've always had a wheel). I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of AC's players have played GT at one point or another so going for a similar controller feel could help steal away even more players from that franchise by making the transition much easier.

Some of it is down to the physics being less precise in GT, sure but the actual way the players inputs are handled in GT Sport, if done in the same way in AC, I think it would be a far better experience and far more successful as well since most people on console do use controllers (unfortunately, for them and hardcore sim dev's like Kunos LOL). Because most of them also don't even know controller settings exist, let alone know how to adjust them themselves. That's why I see it as something that is worth the time, and presents an opportunity for more financial and critical success on the consoles for AC.

Though it does seem like a huge number of AC's concurrent players use steering wheels. I'd be interested to hear stats actually if they exist.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    paul_wev likes this.
  10. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

I play AC on PS4 with a pad for now. And after doing that and going to Driveclub and GTsport, those games suck with a pad. Far too unresponsive, no steering modulation needed, just turn left or right. I really hope in a curse game Kunos do not implement pad control like these games do. Improve it yes, but please not like these games made for pad. I've heard Pcars2 pad control is similar to GTS.

11. Odbball

Odbball Racer

Go and make the best decision of your life - go buy a force feedback wheel.
    It's the greatest consumer decision I ever made. Ever.

12. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

Jesus, You dont have a wheel? Well, then it's very impressive that you like AC so much. It's probable that you fall in love with AC and even marry the game if you buy a force feedback wheel :D

Trust me, buy a rig before anything else. Even food or toilet paper. AC defines itself with maximalisms if you play it with a wheel.

PD: Not agree with Driveclub. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread with a pad. Im open to discuss :)

Rich 1701 likes this.
  13. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

I have a wheel, it just doesn't work lol. My house is on the market so I'm waiting to sell ( sold it 12 months ago but buyer messed me about) and move before I buy a new wheel. I'm holding out to see if Fanatec can licence their DD wheel for the PS4. Once I've bought a DD wheel I don't have to worry about those expensive plastic wheels suddenly breaking.

It's not so much the steering that sucks, it's the steering after playing AC lol. Feels too slow. But better than GTS, but GTS has better motion steering. I'd love to see motion steering in AC.
    Whilst I'm not flush with cash at the moment, my biggest issue is space. And with moving at any time soon I don't want more stuff to haul as I'm going to buy a new rig with a wheel.

Also even when using a wheel I will still play with pad too. I like to chill on the sofa late at night when I'm not as lively and just cruise on Highlands testing cars, and I really enjoy it with the pad.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    SlimCharles likes this.
  14. How does that change the fact that an overwhelming majority of players of console racing games use controllers?

If you read the whole wall of text you would see that I do own a wheel and use it 100% of the time.

I only messed with the controller settings to try to help people that were having a hard time. I achieved better results than the default settings but still far from the quality settings that GT Sport has.

To have more success on console, it's worth it for any racing game developer to invest time into really nailing the analog stick settings because steering is absolutely crucial in a sim and makes the difference between an intuitive and enjoyable racing game, and a frustrating one.

Most console racing game players use controllers and it's not easy to convince them all to get a wheel. though maybe they will if they start to enjoy AC with the controller. They'd be more likely to consider it once they're already a fan of the game and want the best way to play it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  15. windclimber

windclimber Rookie

So happy that you used the word "sim" for yourself. ;) So yes AC is a sim and not a game, and therefore it needs a steering wheel imo!

There are so many other things to do and fix in AC on consoles, after all that is done I don´t worry if they care about controller steering...

16. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

I don't think you're ever going to get steering with a pad in a SIM the same as GT. GT doesn't model the cars real steering rotation so its pretty much a one fits all. But motion steering could really be a great addition, it works so well.

17. ZX636

ZX636 Hardcore Simmer

Same boat. I play with a Dualshock 4 and the pad support in AC is excellent, even if I thought about buying a wheel a few times already. Main problem is that every wheel is only compatible with one platform...I was about to buy a T300 GTE for 350€ a while ago and then I said: "What if I want to buy an Xbox X in the future?". In that case, It'd become a very expensive paper weight (..and yeah, I can already hear the people telling me to buy a PC in the distance :D).

SlimCharles and Hugo Catarino like this.
  18. TDS

TDS Alien

but really, BUY A PC! :) close by call! heheheh cheers

19. pippo10

pippo10 Hardcore Simmer

Well the Fanatec CSl Elite PS4 works on all platforms but you just need to buy a separate rim for the Xbox.

20. SlimCharles

SlimCharles Alien

Some solutions comes to mind. Cronusmax or GIMX.