1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Logitech G27 vs. Thrustmaster TH8A shifter

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Alexandr66, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Alexandr66

Alexandr66 Hardcore Simmer

Greetings there,

Can anyone provide some good personal details or probably resource to read/watch about how much actually Thrusmaster's better than (quetly fresh, little mod-ed for resistance) G27 native shifter?
    Some real pros. and cons. and may be also advices for another (better) way to change shifter in this value range. Probably, it is not worth to change it, at all? - As, can't say, that in now condition G27 shifter dissapoint me.
    Just wish (think), for sure, about something more close to realistic feelings at shifting simulation.

Best regards.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Steering wheels discussions Assetto Corsa Logitech wheels damn good FFB setting 2021 (g27,g25,g29,g920) Apr 26, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Using thrustmaster ts-pc wheel with logitech G27 pedal (not wheel) Jan 10, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Problem configuring Logitech G27 Jul 10, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds My logitech g27 ffb is not working properly Feb 10, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Logitech G27 lost calibration Feb 2, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Logitech G27 woes Sep 30, 2019
    ACC Troubleshooting ACC Changed Logitech G27 Accelerator position to only reaching 89% Throttle Jun 1, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Logitech G27 not detected Mar 6, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals the game doesn't detect Button 0 on Logitech G27 Mar 5, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Logitech G27 don't work with ACC Dec 18, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions T3PA or other with logitech weel G27 Apr 16, 2018
    Steering wheels discussions Logitech G27 Force Feedback FFB Assetto Corsa - A.S way Sep 30, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Logitech G27 converters Jul 14, 2017
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds GAME WONT START WITH LOGITECH G27 Jun 13, 2017
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues 1.14 logitech g27 not detected May 18, 2017

3. Jebus

Jebus Alien

If you have the money for it it's 100% worth to change. Th8a is mostly metal where it counts so you can really manhandle it. Plus it have a sequential mode and a handbrake mode.

I'm so pleased with it that I have 2 of them, well the other is an older th8rs which I use as a seq shifter.

I think the next step would be Fanatec shifter, but it's much more expensive. What I've read the feel is excellent though.

CamsX and Alexandr66 like this.
  4. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

It's been a long time since I've used a Logitech shifter, so no real comparison here.
    Still can give you a few pros and cons for the Thrustmaster. Should note that I have the TH8RS, which was the version before the TH8A, but they are pretty much identical.
    The TH8RS had a screw that could be used to adjust the resistance of the stick (and which I never changed) and that is missing from the TH8A, but then the TH8A has console support.
    Anyway:

Pro:
    - Very solid build. I've taken mine apart completely and all parts that may wear are made out of metal and even after ~ 4.5 years of heavy usage there was no noticeable wear. I've just cleaned and lubricated everything and feels as good as new. :)
    - Contactless position sensing (in H-shift mode) via hall sensor. Very unlikely that this will brake.
    - Pattern can be rotated into any position, which gives more freedom when mounting the thing.
    - I really like the gear nob. Metal on top, rubber underneath for grip. Mine looks as good as new. Wouldn't be the case for all-rubber.
    - Good shifting feedback, it's clear when a gear is in.

Cons:
    - Switching between H-pattern and sequential takes effort (quite a bit actually) and an allen wrench. So forget about that unless you're going to purchase two of them (well, you don't ;)). So it's fair to say that it's either H-pattern or sequential, but not both.
    - It's huge.
    - From my experience: you might have to lubricate the moving parts every now and then (maybe every 2 years). Not a big deal, just open it, but some non-volatile lubricant there and it's ok again.
    - Some people complain that the throw is to long. There are mods out there for shorter throw. I don't have an issue with it, so I didn't mod it. Up to you if you like it.

So yeah, pretty convinced of it. ;)
    Only thing I really don't like it is the size of the thing. It's about 12cm wide and thus takes up quite some space in my rig.
    Also the long throw means you need to keep the space around it clean unless you want to block something with the gear knob. ;)

Alexandr66 and sacredaardvark like this.
  5. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

As Berniyh already said : TH8A is a very solid and highly dependable piece of equipment which tickles my machine tooling engineer´s fancy quite a bit .

I like properly built things made out of metal, the TH8A is one .

Alexandr66 likes this.
  6. chakko

chakko Alien

I can't comment on the TH8A, but, it's true that the G27 shifter isn't that great really... it's ok, but nothing more. I sometimes have misshifts, and the reverse gear sometimes doesn't work either. As the TH8A is widely used and popular, and i haven't really heard many bad things about it, i'm sure it's pretty good.

7. iannixxenakis

iannixxenakis Hardcore Simmer

I used the G29 shifter for a while and it was OK.

Got the Thrustmaster now and it's definitely a lot better.

Took a bit of getting used to the metal gate and longer throw but that didn't take long.

I'm now lusting after the Fanatec a bit but I'm hoping I can resist the purchase.

8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

From what I've read the feel with the Fanatec is a bit better and it has the advantage that you can switch it to sequential mode.
    However, I've also read that it breaks down relatively often, unfortunately.

Also, I've stated that the Thrustmaster is huge. Well, the Fanatec is monstrous …

Alexandr66 and iannixxenakis like this.
  9. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

It was also confirmed that Fanatec is working on a cheaper CSL-Range/Line shifter, but it seems there is no ETA for that one to arrive yet.

I'm on the phone, will add the link about it later once I can search for it more easily on the pc.

Edit:
    Found it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  10. Animal Ed

Animal Ed Simracer

For me, first priority is reliability and that`s why i have TH8RS.
    Original G27 shifter will inevitably fail as mine have, to be more precise, 2 pots responsable for stick position.
    After being fed up with lost in counting how many times shifter was in parts for cleaning, bought TH8.

Since I`m not very demanding, my pro`s and con`s should be taken with a pinch of salt ...

pro:
    - unquestionable reliability and better quality
    - shifting feel is better compared to G27 (after blocking 7th gear slot)
    - sequential mode (which I don`t use simply because of not liking to drive cars with sequential gearbox)
    - solid and easy mounting
    - plug nad play - no additional drivers needed

con:
    - 7th gear slot can be annoying when you hit 7th instead of 5th
    - for more I have no idea but someone more demanding can think of some

btw Berniyh
    I don`t think that shifter is too big as i had more space issues (if i had any) with original G27 shifter.

Alexandr66 likes this.
  11. Jebus

Jebus Alien

Alexandr66 likes this.
  12. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

I've had both and the Logitech is very light and plastic feeling , it really doesn't feel that great and wouldn't recommend it.

Been using the TH8A for about a year ... feels like a solid shifter and I have upped the resistance through the adjustable screw to give a more "realistic" feel. Still a bit away from a real shifter but good enough without spending big bucks.
    I would recommend the ricmotec short shifter mod as I found the throw a bit long as my daily driver is a integra typeR and the mod made the throw around the same as that.

The only issue I have with it is the it switching between H and sequential modes.. it's a pain and causes me not to play dirt rally that much as it's better in sequential mode. Have been running H mode with no clutch which helps a bit , just means more time on assetto corsa.

Alexandr66 likes this.
  13. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I have no idea how you guys accidentally manage to shift into 7th gear.

The only car in AC with a 7th gear and manual gearbox afaik is the Corvette.
    The 911 Carrera S has one IRL as well, but since we have the PDK version, it doesn't matter.
    Also, it's fuel saving ratios, so you won't use it when racing. ;)

Alexandr66 and Schnipp like this.
  14. Jebus

Jebus Alien

It has nothing to do wheather a car have 7th gear or not.

15. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

I haven't used the G27 much, and the last time I drove at my friends was so long ago that I can't really remember what the stick felt like, but I've been very happy with my TH8A, though it does make quite a bit of clanking noise when in use, though I fixed that with a thin sliver of foam sheet taped around the stick. :p

For the people who can't avoid 7th, you could get this:
    https://hsimracing.com/product/th8-shifter-7th-removr/
    They have some custom plates too, if you'd like to turn it into a 4+1 or 5+1 or whatever for 'immersion' :cool:

Can't speak for TH8RS, never having used one, but the stiffness adjustment screw is definitely in my TH8A. :confused: Though I fiddled with it at the beginning to get a stiffer or looser stick, I'm fairly sure it's currently as near as makes any difference at the factory setting these days. :rolleyes:

Also visible at 9:12 in this video:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    esox71, Alexandr66 and Schnipp like this.
  16. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Of course not, was just a statement, that there are actually cars with 7 manual gears. ;)

Jebus likes this.
  17. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Ah ok, I thought they removed it as it isn't mentioned in the specs anymore.

So yeah then the TH8A is indeed the same but with console support. ;)

Edit: I did try different settings. Factory is quite stiff, which is good because that gives good shifting feedback.
    Tightening the screw more results in an almost unusable shifter, less feels very wobbly.
    But ok, it's there and if one wants to play with it, it's possible.

18. boabmatic

boabmatic Hardcore Simmer

I got mine second hand so the previous owner may have loosened the screw from the factory setting.

19. manc0ntr0

manc0ntr0 Gamer

You can take a look into SHH Shifter. It's not a "big brand" but a simracer who decided to build it for itself and then started to make it for selling. I have one and I like it very much. I previously had a G25 and it's much better than that.

Alexandr66 likes this.
  20. iannixxenakis

iannixxenakis Hardcore Simmer

I've got a bit of electrical tape round mine to lessen the clanking noise.

I tried velcro tape first but it was a bit thick and didn't quite fit into the gate.

21. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

my Thrustmaster H-Shifter broke few month ago. It was not recognized by Windows anymore, so i contacted the support...i should order new cable for 10,80€ + 15€ shipping from France to Germany but it didnt solved the problem. Now i should order a new mainboard for 27.60€ + 15€ shipping...so i am not that happy with the support andhow they handle it. So my trust in Thrustmaster is not that high anymore. My next shifter will be from Fanatec...

Alexandr66 likes this.