1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Minor setup changes with major results

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Exit-Speed_ftw, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Disclaimer: I'm just a console peasant playing with a dualshock4 so any opinions I have on how cars feel and handle should be seen in that light.

So about the Porsche Cayman GT4.

Normally I don't drive it very often because, completely opposite expectations, it felt soft, lazy and understeered. If you hadn't pre-loaded the suspension you'd drift a meter wide from suspension travel alone.

Now I don't get into setups very much, because frankly it's too damn complicated. And the GT4 being a roadcar I didn't think it had a lot of options anyway. But then I looked, noticed you could change the ride-height and ooooh boy...

Brought it down from 20 to 0 and by Walter Röhrls sweaty armpits, it completely transformed the car. It now felt like a mini Carrera GT, like a GT3 RS with the engine in the proper place. (911s are in my top 3 fav cars ever but you know it's true.)
    And still compliant too, you can still absolutely slam it over kerbs and such and come out the other side alive.

Fiddled with the anti-rollbar a bit and it's even better, sharper, now. But that could be personal preference.

So here's my thread premise:
    Do you have any experiences like this where a super simple change in a car's setup made a massive improvement on the way it handles?

[​IMG]

paul_wev likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Massive understeer after minor setup adjustments Mar 17, 2020
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Minor bug - typing in setup names shouldn't beep horn Nov 16, 2013
    ACC Troubleshooting reporting minor bug on single player (merc TC resetting to 2) Apr 20, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality Nvidia 465.89 on 30xx series - and couple of minor VR performance notes Apr 8, 2021
    ACC Gameplay GT4 Championship bug in Monza (no bug, UI minor trick!) Jul 18, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Instant drive through Nurburgring for minor off track Jan 8, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer Minor intermittent issue Jan 2, 2020
    ACC User Interface Two minor UI issues in track select screen Oct 25, 2019
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Minor VR HUD position issue Jun 28, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Minor things that might be improved in the future Jun 15, 2019
    ACC User Interface Minor things I noticed in 7.2 Apr 14, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Minor bug with cycling wipers Oct 6, 2018
    ACC General Discussions No more minor releases before 0.2.0 ? Sep 27, 2018
    ACC Controls & Peripherals minor wheel support issue Sep 21, 2018
    ACC Troubleshooting Minor bugs Sep 15, 2018

3. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Yes, the tuned AE86 for me. Since they fixed live axle. If I load one of my setups from before the fix the car feels completely broken, the rear is all over the place all the time. If I stick with a setup much closer to stock the car really comes alive and starts to feel more like it did before the fix. It showed in lap times as well, on the server (97% grip) I was doing 1:03.5's at RBR National with my old setup and then when I used something more similar to default I was doing low 1:02's right away. The Alfa Romeo GTA is another good example, with stock setup it wallows around and lifts a front wheel sometimes, with some setup changes it feels much more planted.

4. AccAkut

AccAkut Alien

Rather from my experience making car mods. Up to a certain point I normally give the physics a try myself, and many small numbers can have huge effects. Some single digit degrees of caster can make a car undriveable shaky or feel numb like a forklift. Vehicle height can have a huge influence on how your suspension arms move, 10° more lock on the diff can be the difference between understeer and oversteer.

5. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

The Lola T70 mod is a bit like that, lower the front end or raise the rear just a little and it will tend much more towards oversteer.

6. Stereo

Stereo Alien

The main one for me is brake bias, just one tick (1% forward) and it can completely change from oversteery mess in braking zones to perfectly settled.

garyjpaterson likes this.
  7. MarcM

MarcM Simracer

I hardly ever change the setup, except on moby dick. Make the front springs a little bit softer, and the rear a little bit firmer. This removes much of the oversteer.

With some more effort I'm sure the setup can be improved a lot, but this 10 second change already transforms the car from an undrivable understeering monster into a a proper racecar.

Exit-Speed_ftw likes this.
  8. The craziest things for me are ride height changes on LMP1/LMP2/Formula cars (though Kunos LMPs aren't as sensitive as what I've worked on). 5 mm at the front can be the difference between a high downforce and a low downforce setup...

Exit-Speed_ftw likes this.