1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Minorating.com (drivers thread)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Minolin, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

have you ever tried running some tests in the background that dont actually alter peoples grades to see what it does to the distribution? e.g using last 2000km or tightening up B grade. Or is it not possible/practical?

Berniyh likes this.
  2. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

The problem is that it will consume time to take that statistics and evaluate them. And even more time to think about what the results will tell you.
    So I could understand if he didn't.

Andy-R likes this.
  3. This is probably impossible to ever calculate, but I would be really interested to know just how many of the 19711 AB drivers actually care enough about the enjoyment of other drivers around them to "play it safe" when racing. There are clearly quite a few AB drivers not in this category, and (in a perfect world) they would be refused entry to (for example) the Streetfight servers. What I mean by "caring" about the enjoyment of others is "backing off well in advance when approaching corners, not dive bombing up the inside when close to very tight corners that clearly need to be approached from the outside of the track, staying on one side of the track through corners when another driver is alongside, taking care when exiting the pits, moving aside for hot lappers if you are not on one yourself, observing blue flag rules, not trying to gain as many places as possible on the run up to T1 at race starts" etc. These are all very basic aspects of online racing, and (again, in a perfect world), all AB grade drivers should respect them.

Ace Pumpkin, Tomcul and Horus like this.
  4. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Yes I understand you want the level to B raised. Got it. :)
    Still, I'm afraid you are mixing reality with desire.

Technically, yes. I know of one occurancy where this really happened. A very fast driver in a league managed (always driving in front, long races) managed to drop below the 2% attack range required for B. The league guys were upset about him and his bad driving, so he practiced alone to achieve grade B - reducing his attack range even further. Luckily they asked me at a point as this was fishy and they didn't even remember seeing him in an accident. Ofc. he had 0 CPs.

Still was surprised to see this, <2% attack range is hard obtain within 1000km if you at least have a few race starts.

Agree, but again "should" won't help. You are asking for renaming A with B, B with C and so on.

Good question.
    Yes in the early days. As @Berniyh suggested, at some point I just had to find a number between 0 and infinity that at least looks like a sensible grade threshold (for each grade). So I just guessed around what I'd expect for a first set of numbers and then calculated around when more data was in.
    Interestingly my first shot was pretty accurate (compared to today) although I was sure this is way off. Couldn't believe that it could be remotely acceptable to have one CP every few kms, but well that's it today.

Unfortunately the calculations became a little bit complicated. The easy way is to follow the algorithm and calculate each driver on a test database, but this would take hours. The fast way is to implement the calculations in SQL and do a mass update (or select). Not trivial, but still possible to do (but I didn't recently). But this only works for changing parameters on data I have (like "what happens when we move the B-grade requirement by 5%"). 2000km can't be calculated because the non-regarded data is removed. We could do 500km, though.

Again, mix of desire and reality. You are using the wording "AB drivers should" - yes I agree but there's no easy way to get there.

Mille Sabords and kofotsjanne like this.
  5. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

This is how we always raced in GPL. There were 14 of us. In three years of GPL, we had a grand total of 5 wrecks. We always drove like it was real life and we also imposed penalties. You're responsible for the collision, you're DQ'd instantly no questions asked from whatever session you're in.

It was glorious.

To tell you how seriously we took it, my own teammate, Blarian, tapped me in the rear at Zandvoort when he missed his braking zone sending me into a spin off the track that broke my suspension and put me out of the race. He pulled over and retired as well simply gutted over it. He later sent me a card (he lived in South Africa) apologizing yet again.

You just can't find people like that anymore to race with. It's a shame, really.

Ace Pumpkin and cerebralvortex like this.
  6. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Disagree :)

7. It's worth noting here that my use of the word "should" did not mean that I expect you to adjust MinoRating to solve the problem. It was a more general comment about how I think that drivers should behave on public servers. The reference to "AB grade" was simply because we have all come to think of those two grades as being the domain of the more responsible drivers in Assetto Corsa ;)

Horus and Rolz like this.
  8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

No, this time you got it wrong.
    Personally, I can live with AB as-is. My evasive skills are good enough these days to evade most of the mess should it happen.
    I wouldn't mind to raise the cut between B and C a tad, but that wasn't the point of the post above.

What I would like is to move the cut between C and D to a slightly higher level. Right now it's ≈39% of all rated drivers.
    B is ≈29%. My suggestion would be to move the cut such that C is around 30% as well, leave the rest unchanged and then see if ABC and ABCN servers get more usable (I'd even test that myself if you insist).

I'm not asking that for myself, because I can drive on AB servers (and I have no fear that that will change) and I have plenty of servers to choose from, but as a newbie, you're in trouble, because the most sensible servers you can get into are ABCN and those are messy as hell.
    I'm thinking about this especially because AC brought me back to online racing after sticking to single player for almost 10 years because of these exact issues.
    If I'd have had the experience that @Parminio made 1.5 years ago, you wouldn't see me racing online and not see me organizing online fun events.

Horus likes this.
  9. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Thanks for the reply. I doubt it would be worthwhile to test 500km...as it is you could race 1000km in a day if your racing online all day and easily do it on a weekend. Higher regarded would mean there would be less people with the wrong grade for a few uncharacteristic good or bad sessions. You could do benefit of the doubt for new players and grade them over 1k km but once you have raced 2k MR you are graded on 2k... I think we have been over this before though, was it too much data for MR to handle? I cant remember now.

10. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

Well said.

I really wish that they had one dedicated N server that was very tightly set. New players ratings would be set over a given mileage. For instance, you race on the N server for, say, 500 km and whatever rating you wind up with is where you go from there. If it's D, then you are sent to D servers ONLY until you earn your way up.

Fact is, new players shouldn't be hurled in with people that have proven for years that they have absolutely NO INTEREST IN DRIVING REALISTICALLY OR IN ANY WAY APPROACHING A PROFESSIONAL LEVEL.

That's the fastest way on earth to kill your game: Make it impossible for new players to take part in it at any enjoyable level.

Horus likes this.
  11. Horus

Horus Alien

I like the idea of separating the B-C Grade but I fear it will make little to no difference as it is the mentality of the less than noble 'drivers' that are causing most of the problems. For example, last night I was in second place all by myself when a car appeared to have caught up maybe 10 seconds in two corners. I found it quite bizarre as the map had shown nobody behind me so for someone to appear out of nowhere was strange. I was going down hill towards Rivazza and knew instinctively this idiot was not going to brake. So stayed wide and he flew off into the kitty litter nearly collecting the barrier, proving he had no intention of stopping. Now this was on an A-B server and I had not had any incident with this fool, so how does this type of loon get an AB rating? The really annoying thing is that if he had collect me I would have gotten a huge CP hit for nothing other than being in the way of a total f**kwit.

As I said previously this is a problem that no grading system can fix, this is an mentality that is learned and developed over years and they have no want or desire to change. Last night I watched so many T1 incidents it was a joke. I saw people not taking any notice that they were at the back and thinking they could overtake everyone and be in the lead by the second corner. Some that would pull straight back on track infront of others like it was the others fault if they were collected, still others pushing someone along side them off track, then the nose cutters - the ones that cut into you because you have the gall/effrontery to try to out brake them. The good thing is that I know there are the few that I could race with that made all those problems disappear, because of their gentlemanly racing behaviour, Schnipp, TDS, TAM esox, to name a few. AB does not prove anything, it does not prove you are a clean racer, a careful racer or that you can control a car. It helps remove some of the real a55hats, but even they can still somehow get through the net.

Ace Pumpkin, Tomcul, TDS and 2 others like this.
  12. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Feels weird to recommend Monza because the first chicane at race starts, but Ive been driving a bit on a server with dtm @ monza and its honestly pretty good racing. You either;
    1) Qualify as good as you can. Try to get around the first chicane alive, this happens more often than I thought at first
    2) Dont care about qualify and even if you do, you drive to the side at first (Do it safely!) and let the chicane madness sort itself before you start to race. Some good drivers usually get stuck in the crash at first so u will at least have someone to race. I think the server Im talking about is called "rennsimulanten". 15 min qualify and only 5 laps but its pretty ok.
    Hope that helps!

@Minolin
    Thanks for the answer! A nice little story there, hehe. :)

13. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

Again, you can't recommend it because I have no choice. (Well, I do now as I'm C grade) but there's no variety to choose from as a new player. There's usually only Silverstone you can race on the AC MR servers and for some odd reason that never, ever changes...and it's an absolute disaster every single race.

14. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I think ABCN is allowed on that server which makes it even more weird that the racing can be good. :)

15. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

Ummmm...no, it's not good. Not good at all. I was hit in the rear 14 times in one race before I made it two laps. Nobody turns at all. They straight line every corner at full throttle. They don't even use the brakes at all. They fly off the track, hit the walls and bounce back out and hit you.

It is, without doubt, the absolute worst online racing I've ever seen in my online career that goes back to 1997.

Need for Speed has better driving than that.

16. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I was talking about the Monza server.. whatever

17. That really is not normal in Assetto Corsa online racing, even for the "should have gone to SpecSavers" crowd. It sounds like you selected a server full of clowns. My advice would be to steer clear of the circus, and race on servers that are recommended by AC forum users.

Horus likes this.
  18. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

Again, for what must be the 10th time, there are none if you're a new player. About the only server you can race on is the ABCN server which ONLY host Silverstone.

It's absolutely deplorable.

There are other servers out there that you can drive on, but nobody is on them. At all. That of course means you can't get a rating from them. So in the end you're stuck getting hurled in with all the idiots.

It's easy to talk about options when you've been here a good while and have them. But when you're new, you have no options at all. That's just the way it is that you people are simply refusing to see.

It's like you're telling me to order steak because you order steak all the time and love it, but you're at a decent restaurant and the only place I'm allowed to eat is at the salad bar.

It's a terrible state of affairs.

19. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

@Parminio
    Join a Nordschleife Tourist server that using MR with people in it. Pick a fast car. Find a slow car.
    Drive behind the slower car to get ur class up to B.

20. BigFW

BigFW Racer

My first foray online was a couple of weeks ago. Never been on Silverstone as it's not a track I particularly like. If I recall I started on a Track Day server for Nords and in not much time made it to C and have been doing Monza,Spa and NurbergRingGT races ever since (currently B). It was relatively painless and maybe I just lucked out in choosing that route, I suppose there is no 'official' best way.

I've done the DTM at Monza a few times and found the chance of being rear-ended is reasonably high (maybe due to always near full) and also seen a few cars blasting through the corners with no intention of stopping, so that has become a time filler server for me. Can still be fun but I know what to expect. I've not particulalry seen the same on other servers though they may be AB ones now.