1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Minorating.com (drivers thread)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Minolin, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Jaye

Jaye Alien

These "discussions" showed me again why nearly leaving the forum was right... From multiple checking each day down to one quick overview per week.

@Minolin great respect to your calmness. And great to hear your still looking for further improvments.

Blamer, ctnich, Rolz and 3 others like this.
  2. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

It simply is amazing that people REFUSE to see the actual point.

Q: What is the point on playing online if you're driving alone?
    A: There isn't one.

I've said 15 times now that finding a server to play on was never the issue. The issue is simply that as a new player, there is only ONE server to play on that has anybody on it, and it's a cesspool of failure so bad that it's not worth bothering with.

Q: If you're going to make everybody a C rank regardless of what they do early on, which you do, what's the point in EVER having ANYBODY ranked N to begin with?
    A: There isn't one.

You'd might as well just start everybody off a C to begin with and adjust the servers accordingly.

THAT is the point. It has NOTHING to do with "creating a server" or "joining a server with nobody on it". There is absolutely ZERO point in ever doing that. You can time attack alone off line with RSR, which renders online completely pointless.

To make online worth playing, it needs to be played with OTHER PEOPLE. For a NEW player, having only one cesspool to join that has anybody on it is a severe putoff to ever playing online again.

THAT is the ENTIRE POINT.

Saying, "You can just join one with nobody on it" over and over again like a broken record does NOTHING to solve the actual problem for new players. It's simply a failed system that has absolutely NO POINT in existing with regard to the entire N rating and the restrictions thereof.

Everybody read that about 10 times and see if it sinks in.

3. liakjim

liakjim Alien

All servers are empty, until someone joins....

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Ace Pumpkin and Berniyh like this.
  4. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

No, they are not. I can join multiple servers now with people on them at will. Only the N restriction prevents you from doing that and limits you to only one. (16 times now I've explained that.)

5. liakjim

liakjim Alien

You could join ALL non MR servers.
    If you had all content, you would had more choices. It's a known design choice for this game.
    You could join every empty server and someone would join, attracting more people.

In the end, I am sorry but I can't understand all the fuss.

So it's not for ALL new players.
    It's for people, that don't have all content , that want to enter mr server and don't want to enter empty servers.

Well i see no problem here.

Let's let @Minolin who made the system, investigates if changes are needed.

6. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

Again, what would be the point? Eventually you're going to have to race the MR servers because pretty much every league utilizes it now.

Again, this has NOTHING TO DO WITH ALL CONTENT. That is NOT REQUIRED AND NEVER WAS.

This ONLY has to do with new players and the failed N system that is completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Merciful God why do you people keep making excuses for an obviously flawed system that has no purpose at all and shouldn't even exist?

If you started people off at C, which YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE THEM REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY DO ANYWAY, then there is no problem at all finding multiple servers with multiple people on them.

It is ONLY THE N RATING that suffers the limitation, which again is pointless since they can, quite literally, go out and wreck everybody they can possibly hit (which is all they are doing on that one server, I assure you) and they'll STILL be given a C rating anyway.

7. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Not having all content it's a parameter.
    How significant I don't know since I am not at home. You can search steam statistics though.
    I am guessing that since DLCs are successful, most people would have them all. ( still guessing ).

So available servers have a parameter the content.
    If not available, the server will not appear.

Again I repeat I have no access to steam statistics now, but it's a mathematical fact that available servers will be LESS for people that don't have all content.

How much, i really don't know.

PS Before call a system as failure, try to see the big picture. Regarding N rating, dev will have to see that.

8. MarcM

MarcM Simracer

This is not correct.

If nobody would ever join an empty server there would be only empty servers.

If you want a populated server that allows your rank, but there are only unpopulated servers for your rank, what is the solution?

Yesterday I wanted to race against other players on the streetfight heavyweight server. Unfortunately it was empty. I joined it anyway, and by the time the first race was underway there were 5 people on it. Was there "ZERO point" in joining that server when it was empty?

Ace Pumpkin, Blamer, LeiF and 5 others like this.
  9. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

I think the only fault is that there are (almost) no ABN servers around, but that's not a failure of the system than rather of the server hosts.

Though maybe if there were more ABN servers the N grade could be active longer with a chance to go to B directly if you deserve B grade.

10. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

And that is something I suggested: Making one N only server for a proper evaluation over, say, 500 km. That would put ONLY new players on that server for evaluation and would actually be worth doing.

As it is now, there's only one server with an N rating with anybody on it when I play, and it's an ABCN server, so all the knuckleheads that really should have a D rating at least are STILL racing on it.

That's my point: The entire N rating is completely and totally useless because there is NO evaluation done in that time amongst new people. All it effectively does is limit my options to one server only filled with a great many people who, as I've said over a dozen times before, are all AUTOMATICALLY made a C rating NO MATTER WHAT THEY DID AT N RATING.

For people to constantly make excuses for and blindly defend a completely useless element to a system is, at best, laughable. I don't care who made it, the way I've explained it SHOULD make you think, "Well, maybe he has a point and we should take a look at that."

Instead, all I'm getting are, "Well he did this system all by himself and you didn't so blah, blah, blah" and "you can play on a server alone".

What's the point of either?

There isn't one.

11. MarcM

MarcM Simracer

Actually you often can't because other people will join you and then you won't be alone anymore :p

Ace Pumpkin and liakjim like this.
  12. Parminio

Parminio Simracer

I actually did that once thinking maybe I'd get a pick-up racer.

Was there for just over an hour and was still all by my onesies.

Again, it's only for N rating that that happens...which of course makes it rather pointless, doesn't it?

13. MarcM

MarcM Simracer

Thanks for trying, it's the only way to get quality servers populated. If only everybody would do that...

It happened on the AB server I tried yesterday too. Got it up to 5 players but everybody left after the first race :(

Minolin likes this.
  14. Rolz

Rolz Alien

Really depends on where u live @Parminio, here in Australia we don't have the numbers so after 9pm it's very quiet if not dead weeknights... weekends not much better.
    I look at Euro servers longingly, they are always busy with high pings so it's tough to join as I don't want to ruin others fun by possibly warping.

Suggest you look for leagues... lots about and usually the few nights before a race the servers get busy with people practicing... this usually draws in more ppl and next thing you know u have 20ppl on the tack.

Suggest you take ppls offers up to do some close racing to improve ur grade... I've helped out a few people over this way and would extend the courtesy to you if around on my server with a reasonable ping :)

15. I think it's seventeen times now....

Minolin and Davemester like this.
  16. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Interesting. I just told you that we'll feed gigabytes of accident data to a Neuronal Network to see if it can learn to judge accidents, and nobody cares. You guys surprise me every day anew :D

Ok probably my fault, this was confusing text but it's also confusing matter :-/
    For the non-programmers; this is what's going to happen:

We define the data that describes the accident (track boundaries, car positions every 1/10th second over 5 seconds) and put them as input into the Neuronal Network. The NN is not a PC network how you know it, but more like a very strange algorithm. So you put the accident at the input side, and get some output. Let's say this is (simplified) 0 or 1 = car1's fault or car2's fault.

For the first run, the algorithm is pretty stupid (or more correctly does something totally different than we want). The result is more or less random and has nothing to do with the accident. BUT clever math that is way beyond my comprehension allows us to teach the Network "nope, in this accident car2 was the problem", and it will adjust in super-tiny steps. A few hundred thousand accidents later the network could start to give seriously accurate answers, which depends on a) the data and b) my luck at guessing the correct parameters like capacity and input features. This is btw. very close what biological brains do and how they learn. They are just way better and we don't understand it.

What actually happens is that the network doesn't magically understand what an accident is, but it shapes itself in a way that correlations in data and result get in a line. Even if it had - by chance - super high recognition rates, it would be useless for our purpose. It could not tell "why" and therefore send zero feedback to the user (and maybe help him that way), not acceptable. Also we couldn't tell why it comes to a specific conclusion, or what features it observes - so it can fail any time without a chance to be repaired.

Why am I doing it anyways?
    1) Because of science and learning. Somewhere in the future it is possible that we use a NN for the detection of one specific situation, or even a part of the analysis inside a usual algorithm. NNs have the big advantage that they are faulty tolerant, which isn't very easy to implement otherwise - and is highly necessary when looking at our accident data.
    2) Because I found a shortcut that is only applicable to the single-NN version. Our major problem is the valuation of the test data. How could I go through 100.000 accidents and watch them just to tell who's fault it is? Maybe 100k are enough, maybe not. 5s display + 2s decision might end up in 20 days with 10 hours of nonstop work (Given this would be job time I could buy a car or two bikes for the revenues).
    The shortcut is: I know which grades are colliding in a given accident. Given that, I could only take A+D accidents and assume, that in most of the cases the D driver is guilty. So if we now give only the accident data to the NN, but train it by the grade assumption: The NN is trained to find a behaviour driven correlation in order to distinct A and D drivers, without knowing the grades. So the result is not really "who's fault is it" but "who is the A grade". Maybe the result means something.

If you could follow me so far, this is an important insight that may have great effect on your private life. Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, "The Algorithms" - they do exactly the same. They are nothing but correlation machines. Facebook, Google, Amazon? Big data? Correlation machines. Way better and more sophisticated, but in the end that's it. The big impact is that they are so good that they find correlations where humans can't. It works great, but we don't really know why.

grat, Ace Pumpkin, LeonW and 14 others like this.
  17. Rolz

Rolz Alien

I had to read that about 3 times, but sadly it's still beyond me :)
    Appreciate the effort you are putting into it Minolin!

grat likes this.
  18. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

If the system would be changed to: You have to do 500km in an N only server.
    That server might get populated, or not.
    You could be around good drivers, or bad ones. Or none. (Get AB-grade or D-grade or a grade driving on your own.)
    That approach also doesn't seem fair to me.

There used to be populated servers allowing for N grade, when MR launched, so the system worked ok back then.
    Now there seem to be only few new players and the sytem doesnt work that good any more.
    Driving 40km alone and be granted C doesnt sound good, but you get D rated quickly if you crash alot in abc servers, as you have little mileage.
    (Collisions per km)

ABN servers might work, but then you have to rely on good drivers/hosts to let unrated drivers in.
    Those unrated ones could be interested in an AB grade or be rookies (C), D or W.
    That also doesn't sound fair to me.

As it is now you got your c rating rather quick and have the possibility to rank up or down.
    That is not a nice way to get in touch with MR, i can feel with you there, but i can't come up with a better solution, maybe Mino has a bright moment in the future. I am sure he is already thinking about a solution.

19. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Agree and no, I don't see a better solution. We can't direct where people join; we can't cheat math and skip N, and the biggest problem is that most people don't learn about MR until they are past the N grade anyways (often the hard way). That's the disadvantage of coming from the "outside" = modded system.

20. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Is it possible to add something to MR that a huge window comes up that you need to [x] for it to disappear where it explains what minorating is and which class people currently are?