1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Minorating.com (drivers thread)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Minolin, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Winston

Winston Hardcore Simmer

Hi Minolin,

I'm trying to understand what happens when a new driver (whom I assume joins in an ABN server) drives cleanly.
    Can he or she jump straight to a B ranking or will they be dropped to C and then have to join a lower ranked server?

Thanks

2. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Given the circumstances, an N can access any grade. The corner case scenario is that an experienced simracer joins the AC train, has one good race, is A afterwards.
    Ofc. a real newcomer to simracing will probably fail to do so. Also driving more or less alone (which happens if you can't instantly race without spinning) will give you a C grade at best.

I did some analysis a few months ago, turned out that ~20% of the current As got their grade within the first session

Schnipp likes this.
  3. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

It happened again...
    Just one single CP dropped me back to B, driving on my Nords server.
    With a 970km/6.8cp ratio!
    I have it up to here, I will now shut down this server. This is not worth the hassle.
    :mad:

4. martcerv

martcerv Alien

What is the rating setting on your server is it A only? If your moving around a bit in grades you likely dont have much combat mileage which is what MR uses mostly for ratings so to maintain A you would need reasonable number of combat km.

If your server is A only then dropping to be is an issue, if your server allows B and you dont join many A only servers how is dropping to B an issue for you?

Having an MR limited nords tourist server is a good thing as it keeps the hazards away if strict enough but I tried an MR A tourist server and got no joiners. Most of my servers end upnat AB even though I have been A pretty much from start to now, if I dropped to B it would have no real effect on my choice of servers so would be no big deal to me personally.

5. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Well, there are some events restricted to A only. On Street Fight for example there was a classic GT event on Nords, which was fun.

Yeah, I wanted to give a cleaner alternative to those dreaded el Banditos servers, or ABCDN Nords shenanigans.
    Well because not many are interested in that I mostly drove on my own there.
    Losing my A grade for nothing is not what I intended with this, so I stopped the server.

6. martcerv

martcerv Alien

The tricky thing with trackday servers is your generally wanting to get into combat, also sometimes just running laps solo to try and get some others in means your going to have some negative impact on your rating possibly.

I think possibly an adjustment to ratings in qualy or practice sessions in how they effect the combat km. In a regular qualy session I am always looking for clear track so doing all possible to not be in combat range. In a trackday its a bit different as you dont join to run solo mostly but quite often it happens.

Maybe somehow combat km should be over a longer period rather then mostly the last 1000km. Someone that can maintain low cp with high combat range wont suddenly become a poorer driver because there arent others around them.

Its also why someone with very high combat km to contacts should be rated poorly. I wonder if a rating system would be better if it only rated you on km in combat and attack range as really any solo km are useless data. Unless it also rates on staying on track or impacts with scenery. If not then these non combat km are just an easy pass for poor drivers to clean their record and can hurt clean ones and keep them from being first into servers and running solo. Simply noting people can run km not intraffic without hitting other cars I dont think says much about how the person is in traffic. ;)

If only combat km counted to rating itnpossibly will give a more accurate representation of drivers in traffic by rating.

A little OT but as Kunos said they are looking at ratings for their next project I wonder if they hired @Minolin as that would surely be a great move. :D

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  7. Minolin

No, that's wrong. The model behind MR just is about "CP per oppertunity", how much oppertunity doesn't matter here: it is a linear function and oppertunity is scaling linear as well. The problem is that this model is very well suited for racing, but not multiclass, Nordschleife trackdays.

In racing, you are expected to drive along your opponents for a majority of the time. Accidents can happen in between, and that's fine. Given one statistical accident, the less time you spend around other cars the more you look like a wrecker. In a corner case you have somebody who has something like 10m of attack range per contact, think of guys driving backwards or parking in nasty spots. Nordschleife trackdays can be quite similar: You rarely drive significant time with a comparable driver in comparable cars (racing adjusted oppertunity). In fact, you intersect other drivers most of the time - but each overtake has quite some risk of a contact. This looks exactly like the wrecker MR was originally trained for ;)

So I agree that MR over-penalizes drivers in the typical trackday setup, but I have to repeat that it's not about the solo driving. Yes I know you meant the right thing, but I'm currently discussing the same issue over different forums so I can't let this uncommented.

That's a good point regarding the upper half of the grade rainbow, although the underlying problem is solved by the hack that you remain in AB even without any attack distance.
    Unfortunately focusing on attack range only doesn't work at all for the recovery of C, D, W grades - we must not forget them. The only way out would be to have two independent safety grades with different data models, which adds complexity without much of a benefit (just a quick guess, will think about it).

Or cuts, and pit exit line violations ;) Staying on track in terms of "lost control" would be high on my wishlist, but doesn't seem to be possible without guessing around too much. I don't like guessing, as it triggers false positives.

Yes, this is true up to the point where we are talking about Ws. But I admit they are less than a noise today, it's almost a shame that most of MRs core abilities are built to determine between W and not W.
    But this is why B and A grades already follow your point, they do not really include the nontraffic distances. Actually they are used to prevent a 0-division by applying a tiny fraction of the distance, I could just add +1km instead.

martcerv likes this.
  8. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Thanks for the insights Minolin.
    So as it stands as of now, Minorating is just not the right tool to civilize Nords Trackday Servers. :(
    And I simply have no time nursing the crowd manually.

9. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Still I think even if you drop down a grade due to more solo running it shouldnt take too long to go back to A in a race server. There is the "hack" that Minolin added to allow AB graders to not lose full rank after mostly non attack km but seems your still borderline B after a bit of running.

Have you tried joining an MR race server after your downgrade and noticed how quick you were put back to A grade, its clearly not CP dropping the grade so maybe 1 race of reasonable combat miles should get you back if your needing to join an A grade server.

10. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

I don’t fear being stuck in B grade, I know I will be back to A in no time.
    It’s just that MR doesn’t work with bringing law and order to the Wild West which bugs me. ;)

11. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I think I tried one of the open carnage Nords tourist servers a while back, personally I would rather solo hotlap, run with AI or risk a drop in my MR to avoid having to join a server filled with so many Muppets. My MR trackday servers when they have been up never had huge numbers in them at AB but you know anyone that can get in will be somewhat competant, in a busy open server I never found any reason to want to join those again. I would rather join a quiet MR server then a full open one any day, however it seems no matter what is provided many still prefer open wild west carnage over clean servers with lower numbers.

If the majority of AB rated guys simply looked for AB servers the numbers would greatly increase in all these and the standard of driving would be much better, it would almost even warrant opening A only servers for an even better experience but for a track day AB in general is probably strict enough. Just needs some with admin access to clear out the rare complete hazards that still get in. But limit access away from those that havent yet proven they can race clean is IMHO always a better option. Also if these guys would see more people in servers they cant get into due to their poorer ratings they may have incentive to clean up their act. I really cant say there is enough incentive for these guys to want to grade up as the vast majority join servers that allow everyone in even if they are using MR which I think is the worst. Grading and filtering everyone by their driving standards then joining servers with people identified as poor in traffic people should not complain or even try to kick these guys out of those servers. They should all just look for servers they cant even get into and not have that issue at all, this however after seeing MR and Pcars2 rating system has shown the main problem is the users not the systems.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  12. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Rookie

I recently got an A ( thank you Jesus for the Street Race servers and all who sail on her!) and would like to keep it. I had it before, but some pitlane exit indiscipline and the fact that my car has chaos magnets on the rear bumper, meant I got stuck in B purgatory for a while. I still don't know how this works: do I duel with the car behind as well as the one in front to earn those precious combat points? Do I avoid empty servers and practice laps? I race fair and clean, hope everyone else does but know that's not always so and contact is pretty much a given on most MR servers. Those minor contacts when side by side, how much damage do they do CP wise? Laguna Seca is scary now due to the boneheads who race on it and seem surprised by T1 and the Corkscrew every time they come upon them, usually with me about halfway through the corner and my magnets on.:eek:

Christopher Low likes this.
  13. Hagen

Hagen Hardcore Simmer

If the search criteria and labeling of mr servers would be adjusted in a way that you could type: "mr-ab" and only get AB rated servers sorted by ping,
    i think there would be some more who would try to populate empty servers.

Let's hope that adjustment and a way to see where your friends drive (buddy list), will be included in kunos' future project.

Minolin and Schnipp like this.
  14. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

You can check your stats and see for yourself. I wouldnt aim to "duel" with anyone just race your race and try to be fair and respectful and the system does the rest. If you are always respectful of other drivers you shouldnt have to adapt to MR or do anything to keep your grade up, sure you might get hit by disrespectful or wreckless drivers sometimes who cause you a few extra CP but this shouldnt drop your grade too much. That is unless you enter servers with lower grade drivers where your grade could probably drop despite best intentions to drive safe, if this is the case the grade drop shouldnt really matter though as you dont need an A grade when joining ABC servers.

Schnipp and Minolin like this.
  15. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Attack range is a circle of 20m radius around your car, so it doesn't matter if the other car is ahead, behind or on your side.

If you don't know this already, you can see more detailed infos about your MR profile:
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...com-drivers-thread.25732/page-112#post-726452

There you can see the Attack Range percentage for each session.

Some driving on your 0wn without opponent usually doesn't hurt your rank if you have some racing sessions in the last 1000km (which are the regarded km for your rank).
    You would need some extensive driving alone to drop rank(s).

Minolin likes this.
  16. Minolin

Front, left, right, back - doesn't matter. Attack and combat range is counted whenever you race with at least one car around.

No!

Minor bumps with low relative velocity do very little CPs. They sum up (and need to), but in order to get real punishment you need something like a real crash with the potential to take somebody out.

True, it's a tricky track and also new content attracts all kind of persons :D Make sure you drive on restrictive servers like MR-AB and MR-A, things get notably better then.

Edit: Lol, I'm typing too slow

Schnipp likes this.
  17. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Content Manager has a stalking feature. ;)
    It doesn't really search for friends, but only their driver name. But this can lead to 'false' positives if somebody else has the same name or it's missing a friend if he (even slightly) changed his driver name.

Hah, new mechanical Keyboard FTW. :D

18. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

This would be a nice side dish served with forced MR grade restrictions (e.g A, AB, BC, CD, DW, W) where no other combinations are allowed and higher grades cant join lower grade servers.

chksix likes this.
  19. DD_Friar

DD_Friar Simracer

ref "Friends".. I noticed this feature the other day.
    Where do / How do i create my friends list? is it within CM or AC?

20. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Minolin likes this.