1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Need advice for a probably unique situation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Alphan, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

Hi everyone! I'm in a really weird situation right now. I'm currently racing on a single 27" 3d monitor and it's just not enough. I was actually planning to wait for the consumer version of the Rift but here's the catch: In about 6/7 months, I won't be able to do simracing as frequently as I'm doing now. Will probably be busy with other stuff and wouldn't be able to spend time racing! So waiting for the consumer version would leave me with the single monitor setup... I just love this hobby and want to enjoy it as much as I can, while I can. Should I get a DK2 and enjoy it for 6/7 months or should I get a triple monitor setup?

I have a pretty strong PC and can use supersampling with the rift.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Xbox series need advice Mar 9, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Need some advice for VR settings Feb 27, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions need advice? Mar 14, 2021
    Chit Chat Room Need Advice For A Playseat Dec 19, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Setup advice needed Sep 13, 2018
    Chit Chat Room rip my gtx770, picking new gpu need advice. Aug 2, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Beginner needs some driving advice Jun 25, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Need advice on my settings please May 24, 2018
    Chit Chat Room New players needs advice Feb 22, 2018
    Chit Chat Room In need of some dedicated server advice! Apr 22, 2017
    Chit Chat Room In Need of Some Sound Advice Apr 21, 2017
    Console Lounge Tuning advice needed Jan 27, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Need advice on Lotus 98T@Imola: Acqua Minerali May 15, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Advice needed due handicap Feb 24, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Little advice needed adapting to 1.2 force feedback for a nub. Aug 13, 2015

3. Epocx

Epocx Alien

tripple screen.
    they have announced the dk3 so the custumer version is not in sight yet and the dk2 is basically already outdated.

4. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

@Epocx ---- What ! That's news to me , do you have a link for this please .

5. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

DK3?? They made it clear that there will not be another development kit. Are you sure it's not the Crescent Bay? They are not going to release that to the public I think.

6. Epocx

Epocx Alien

7. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

Ahh sh1T , I was so ready to order - lol .

@Alphan - DK2 is fantastic , I just love it , but you would be wasting silly money IMO , I would wait and take the chance that your future might not be as time consuming as you think .

8. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

@JoeMoore, Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately my future is definitely going to be time consuming. :) I can see in your sig that you have both triples and the rift. Which one would you recommend to a fellow simracer? Can you go back to triples after the experience with the DK2?

9. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

I realy realy mean this I will ---never never never never --- go back to triple / single / projector / curved - I don't care about the screen door that always come up , I don't even see it now , let's say I'm very happy with what I got for now

[RRRV] JuggernAlz and Alphan like this.
  10. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

You know, this means a lot to me. You just helped me reach to a decision. Thank you so much for that. :) But why would I be wasting silly money then? Isn't it a simracers dream to feel the presence? You just told me you'd never go back lol

Btw, I can do lots of supersampling with the rift with my current pc as it really is powerful.

11. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

I have a gut feeling that we will see the next version 7 months , it will be better I'm sure - so I did not want to see you buy outdated version ---- now if it was me I'd buy it , would it be a waste of money for me ? Nope have plenty lol .

If you buy it , do your research on getting the best out of it it's well worth it -- I'm that used to it now that if there is a problem with it - it's sorted with in minutes, most of the time anyway .
    My redundant sim below I gave up for the rift , good by forever lol .

Cote Dazur likes this.
  12. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

@JoeMoore, wow if the rift made you give that up then it must be really awesome lol. I consider myself a tech/PC savvy so I can probably set it up properly. I already did lots of research. :) I'll probably sell the DK2 before the CV1 release so money shouldn't be an issue.

JoeMoore likes this.
  13. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

There are some people that hate it but what most say , holy sh1 t this is amazing .
    I'm one of the lucky I just love it pity you can't get a demo first .

14. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

Exactly! Trying a demo out before buying would be great. I've heard some people who bought it and sold it right after because of motion sickness... I just want to see how the corners look from far away. Have you tried supersampling/downsampling with the rift?

15. Wokzombie

Wokzombie Rookie

For 6 to 7 months of Simracing I would go for the Rift since it is by far cheaper.

But if you have a use for the three monitors after that, the vast amount of extra money could possibly be worth it.

JoeMoore and Alphan like this.
  16. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

I wouldn't use triples for anything other than racing or flight sims. I don't need the extra desktop space etc. Rift seems like the way to go, especially with supersampling which really helps text reading and reducing the infamous 'screen-door effect'.

17. JoeMoore

JoeMoore Racer

Yes I played with supersampling , I found little or no difference mind you it's something that I not realy tested much , just might play with that tonight .
    So in seven months you could have the CV and maybe a little baby to ? :)

Nice PC specs you have you be fine for dk2 but CV I'll be upgrading for nvidia top of the line graphics card , with Crescent bay they were using 980 I'm sure

Alphan likes this.
  18. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

980 and 780Ti are really close if not on par so I don't think I'll struggle with even the CV1. But yeah I'd pick up at least a single 980 to get over 90fps with the CV release. (It's going to be using a 90Hz screen iirc.)

JoeMoore likes this.
  19. drdoomslab

drdoomslab Hardcore Simmer

Hi Alphan,

Sorry to say I would not bother with the DK2 ATM. Its a grate experience but AC's interface is not sorted yet for it and will not be until after the CV1 comes out. There are a few foibles with AC and the DK2. You can-not do car setups. You can't use any apps. You will have to run something like open broadcaster software so you can use the menus and get into the game. The resolution is really lacking (although much better than the DK1, that really was bad in AC). And it gets hot to have it on your face. Its not uncomfortable but you can feel it and after an hour or so I need to have a brake form it for a while. I've also had friends get a little freaked out by the virtual body ingame changing gears. But I do have to reiterate its a grate experience.

Now onto some other games. The iRacing interface for the DK2 is much better and you can see a little more in the distance. But it has the same issues with resolution (i still don't like the tire model much i can't "feel" the car). Elite dangerous is fantastic but then most of the background is space so you don't notice the lacking resolution. Eurotruck 2 is quite fun so is WarThunder although last time i tryed it the scale was still off (my virtual body and the plain where HUGE, felt like i had a tiny head. lol) and its difficult to see enemy's because of the resolution.

I also need to remind everyone who's thinking of getting one it is a Developer Kit and should be treated as such. You will run into issues with it. You will spend a long time fine tuning it to get it to run well, although i think you should have a nice amount of power for it. Also the lenses will most like steam up. Also i found my lashes can hit the lenses and course it to steam up so make shore you have a good lens cleaner, might not want to use the one that comes with it as there have been reports of it scratching them.

Final bit. After using it for a while and also borrowing a mates DK1 a while back its a grate experience but i would recommend waiting for the CV1. A friend of mine has tryed the crystal bay version (1440p version) and said the resolution is much better than the DK2 but i will have to wait for the CV1 to try myself and see as i can be a bit picky. One other thing about triples is you can use them for much more than just gaming. It's helped me with my work flow. I thought the DK2 would be good for some things like that and also watching movies and other things but it really is not unfortually thanks to the resolution. Also Downsampling really does not help much as its not aliasing that's the problem.

Hope this is of some use to people.

Cheers,

DrDoomsLab.

JoeMoore and Alphan like this.
  20. 2re

2re Racer

I purchased Dk1 & DK2 and sold them not long after. DK1 was just a gadget, a fun test.
    DK2 solved many of the problems but its far away from a consumer product.
    Screen door effect is still very noticeable, resolution is still to low and there plenty problems and quirks you need to deal with.

I bought a triple screen setup instead and I'm very pleased with the gaming experience.
    However after reading about "Mrpix" projector setup I think I'll go that route in the future.
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/superfov-immersive-display-settings.3331/
    http://www.projectimmersion.com/

Alphan likes this.
  21. Alphan

Alphan Rookie

@drdoomslab Hi! Thanks for the long and informative post doc! I agree, Rift has loads of potential for simracing but unfortunately it's just not there yet... It is indeed a dev kit and definitely should be treated as such, hence oculus wants you to tick a box that says 'I'm aware of the fact that the product is intended for developers.' before purchasing.

I'll probably go for a thin bezeled triple monitor setup as it makes the most sense for me. Sadly my current monitor (ASUS VG278H 3D) has a pretty thick bezel which would be annoying to use in a triple monitor setup so I'll have to get three different ones! :) Do you have any recommendations for a monitor to use for this kind of setup?

@2re I actually tried the projector in a public event but it wasn't a pleasant experience as the resolution was nowhere near enough... It was pretty well set up too! You don't see properly set rigs on public events lol