1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Planning a new system

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Skybird, Aug 26, 2017.

1. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

My beQuiet cooler failed again (details in spoiler). I’ll switch to another brand asap.

2. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Lone Echo - anyone knowing it? Sounds like the perfect entry level "train-your-brain" game for putting a toe into VR, due to its slow, gentle moving around and movement-related physics and mechanics.

3. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Turns out my cooler has a small leak which drips on to the GPU. Will get a Noctua asap

4. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Hehe, I never really grew warm to the idea of putting liquid-holding parts inside an electrified computer shell. It just does not sound right. :D

chksix likes this.
  5. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

6. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Hm, third time now they delayed delivery, by their original information when I ordered on Novembre 3rd, they said "all is in stock", "5-8 days delivery". I should have it all by now. Instead they now say 22-24th Novembre.

Staring at them sharply.

7. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

I recommend a M.2 chip, the interface is much faster than SATA. I run a Samsung 960 pro 500gb NVme (non volatile memory) as my primary system disk on my race sim computer. The performance is fantastic as these chips approach ram memory in speed. 500gb easily holds the system and the game components for AC with room to grow. If you add lots of games you can store them on a much cheaper hard drive.

8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

As I said, I have already placed an order, and wait for the delivery, and they delay and delay it. ;) But yes, the OS will be on an SSD, and that one is linked via M.2

Once I get it, I mean. :(

In how far AC would benefit from beign placed on an SSD, I cannot see, I never noticed that it reloads textures or whatever from the HD while racing. Well, and if it does, then a HD obviously was good enough so far to get this job done - since I did not even notice it.

These speed consideraitons imo only make sense when the game accesses the SSD or HD while the game aleady is running, during gameplay. Reloading textures comes to mind. Whether I wait 10, 30 or 40 seconds for the game to load after I called it up, is of no real relevance to me - I just dont care.

9. luxxx797

luxxx797 Simracer

you'll notice benefits only opening AC and loading tracks and cars

esox71 likes this.
  10. On the multi-core discussions of a while ago...

The picture below is a CPU test from the new Assassin's Creed. Some things of interest:

1. The fact that the 8700K is able to average 100fps shows that the GPU isn't the limiting factor.

2. Last year's top I5, the 7600K (4 Cores, 4 Threads) is only able to average 57.5FPS. Only ten months after launch it is unable to produce 60FPS in AAA games.

3. The AMD 1600X (6 Cores, 12 Threads) runs at 74.7FPS. At launch many journalists described it as a worse pick for gaming than the 7600K. That is true for historic games, but most future AAA games are far superior on the 1600X.

4. The Threadripper 1920X (12 Cores, 24 Threads) is ahead of the Ryzen 1800X (8 Cores, 16 Threads). The 1800X should be far faster due to a higher clock speed and a design that is purpose built for gaming. The fact that the 1920X is ahead shows the Assassin's Creed is demanding more than 16 threads. 16 threads are a limiting factor on a AAA game in 2017.

5. Simulation complexity in AC Origins seems greatly improved. Reviewers have commented on the number of non-player-characters and the complexity of their daily routines. Long draw distances combined with many NPC's great the sense of a busy, lived-in world. Various other simulation factors (water, tree physics etc) are dialled up. This may be something that Ubisoft pushed after the Ryzen/Coffee Lake launch. The fact that the game is almost beyond the ultra-refined Kaby Lake version of the 4 Core shows that they built with Ryzen/Coffee Lake in mind.

6. The fact that games have failed to use more than 4 cores at the AAA end for the last five years seems to be more a product of the 2 Core, 4 Core market, than any hard-coding limit on threading. That said, many games (Far Cry for example) may be locked into engines that can't adapt to a highly-threaded world, and they may take a while. Competitiveness will force them to adapt; games competing with AC Origins are going to be very jealous of the complexity of their simulation.

7. The non-AAA world of gaming is different story completely...

Attached Files:

chksix likes this.
  11. Skybird

Skybird Alien

One should choose CPU and GPU according on one's projections/expectations what one expects to play in the forseeable future. Thats what I did, and both performance-wise and bang-for-the-buck-related the intel came up better than a - quite expensive - threadripper for my needs. Also, in single core performance the 8700K leaves the Ryzens behind, plain and simple, and for my needs, single cpu performance is important. I wanted additionally good multi-core reserves, and even if the 8700K will get beaten in some months by some thredriupper or ryzen kit, it nevertheless does not mean that it will be useless. Just that progress does not stop. Any hardware one buys, sooner or later starts to drop down in the charts. I have not stopped reading since I place dmy order, and by all what I read I am still confident and happy with my CPU choice.

Threadripper 1920X and i7 8700K imo do not even rank in the same comparable CPU market segment, btw., the threadripper costs more than twice as much as an 8700k: 800-950 Euro, dependiong on where you buy. The 8700K is to be had for 360-400 Euros.

---

I know now why there is the delay in my order. They have messed up their stock holding, and ran out of the GPU I have chosen. Asus seems to be overwhelmed by the demand and finds it difficult to send them supply. Since the OC version of the Asus Stix 1080TI according to test results I read is cooler and slightly more silent than the non-OC version ( one would have expected it the other way aorund, or not :) ) , i nevertheles stick with the OC version. The wait I must face. Gives me more time to mentally and emotionally brace myself for the confrontation with my new enemy Windows 10...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  12. Sorry, I didn't say anything about the 8700k. I wasn't comparing it to Threadripper in any of my points.

The 8700K is a perfect balance of single core & multi core performance, and the best gaming CPU available.

I was actually contrasting the 7600K with the 1600X, and the 1920X (Threadripper) with the 1800X (also an AMD product).

The point I'm making is about the future of multi-threaded coding in games.

13. mms

mms Alien

I'm not sure comparing the 1800X with 1920X is valid, they both max out at 4GHz on load, and the 1920X has 4 more cores...

EDIT: looking again at the graph, the 1920X gives around 15% more FPS, but it has 50% more cores/threads, so that's not looking like the game is core/thread-hungry, on the contrary.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  14. "I'm not sure comparing the 1800X with 1920X is valid, they both max out at 4GHz on load, and the 1920X has 4 more cores..."

My comparison, like most people who do this comparison, is aimed at answering the question, can a modern games engine use more than 16 threads in 2017.

The answer a few months ago was absolutely not. In their first review of the 1920X PC Gamer suggested turning off half of your 1920X in gaming. If you turned off half the cores, performance would improve. Otherwise, the 1920X was on par with a 1600X. Quote below for context.

At the time the discussion was, is there any advantage to going beyond 8 threads? Will any games be able to benefit from this?

Now of course no-one was, or is suggesting buying a threadripper for gaming. That would be very strange. For a much cheaper price you could get an 8700K for instance.

The development that I was trying to suggest, is about coding. In a few months we have gone from "turn off the other 8 cores in gaming" and "the 7600K is well ahead of threadripper in games", to the threadripper being 70% ahead in games. Again, that doesn't mean I am suggesting buying a server PC for gaming! But something interesting has happened here.

"the 1920X gives around 15% more FPS, but it has 50% more cores/threads."

That's true, but we are the absolute limit here. Who on Earth would buy a 24 thread CPU for gaming? It should be miles beyond the point of diminishing returns (which people were arguing was 4 threads as of June). And yet now even 24 threads are getting used.

The relevance of this data for the average consumer is about considering the future trajectory, over the next five years of 2, 4, and 6 core CPU's in AAA gaming (I naturally kept non-AAA gaming separate).

From PC Gamer - "
    If you're wondering why the higher core counts don't usually help gaming performance—and in some cases hurt it—it goes back to the architectural designs, specifically the L2/L3 cache and memory latencies. Threadripper and Core i9 both have more cache and twice the theoretical memory bandwidth of the mainstream consumer parts (all the socket AM4 and LGA1151 CPUs). The problem is, accessing all that memory and cache actually takes longer. If you're running a workload that can leverage all 32-threads, the slight memory performance deficit isn't a big deal… but most games don't fall into that category. AMD says Threadripper's 4-channel memory controller on average has 87ns of memory latency, compared to 72ns for Ryzen 7—and higher L3 cache latency as well (as well as slower L2 latency when accessing data in a different core's cache). The same thing is true for Intel's X299 processors. Combined with slightly lower clockspeeds (relative to the i7-7700K at least) and the many-core chips often fall behind in gaming workloads.

What if you sometimes want to play games on Threadripper, and you don't like losing performance compared to the Ryzen 7 1800X? AMD offers a solution: Game Mode. Using AMD's Ryzen Master software, enabling Game Mode disables half the cores and tells Windows to function in NUMA (Non-Uniform Memory Access) mode. "

15. Skybird

Skybird Alien

That there probably is a long term trend towards multi threads, probably is a given. My focus always has been more on the question - how much time will it take before having 16, 24, 32 threads indeed becomes a must if you do not want to suffer from hickups comparing to trying to play a decent modern game on ten year old Pentium-IV with frames at around 20 or below? Multi threads are around since years, since a decade, more or less. And look at the slow pace of developers using even these few threads. Still, for various technical reasons, single CPU performance for any sims and games still is of high importance.

The CPU I have chosen, currently probably is the best solution to adress these two points, offering both superior single core performance and extremely good multi core performance. Its little weakness is that it is not the most economic solution, the CPU costs more than a CPU must cost if you want to do just ordinary gaming and home office stuff. However, it does not cost as much as threadrippers and i9's.

Seven years ago I picked the i5 2500K, it outplayed even i7s on some regards, and it was an extraordinarily good deal: superb performance for its time, still running all my stuff until today, and economic costs. I think the 8700K could become an equivalent to the 2500K, just in our present time.

16. McNappa

McNappa Simracer

in my personal experience a coolermaster hyper 212 evo plus 2 x EK Vardar fans in push pull is quieter and better than ANY watercooling i have in my machines . i have 3 PC, 2 of them run water with intel 5820k @4.5GHz and under full load ( video encode ) they can easily hit 70c...where as the machine with the hyper evo 212 with 2 x ek vardar fans never goes over 56c.....water sux ;)

17. Skybird

Skybird Alien

And it drips. :D

18. esox71

esox71 Alien

Have you the Vardar fans on the rads too?

19. mms

mms Alien

I just found out that they dropped the warranty on their latest TUF motherboards to 3 years :eek:

20. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I briefly had Vardar on my list, but then dropped it. From what I read, the cooling performance is quite good, but the thing is relatively loud, compared to the almost noiseless whispers of some other models, reviews and feedbacks said. It costs just a third of the Noctua price, somewhere the smaller money must ask for compromise. If noise is of no concern for somebody and he doe snot care for a silenced system, take this one into account then.