1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Planning a new system

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Skybird, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Would be most appreciated. :)

2. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Okay, this is the last piece in the puzzle, most likely, to bring this to an end then: temperatures.

I lowered them a bit by switching in UEFI the "stealth" ventilator settings to manuel settings where the vents start to spool up earlier and reach maximums earlier. If the need arises, i can slightly downclock the CPU, too. And there is always the option to build in more ventilators.

Room temp is ~20°C.

In idle or with only hard drive activity (copying files etc), temperatures log between 25 and 28°C.

Windows and internet work has them going to the mid-40s to mid-50s.

Did not many games, but Oculus activity and games with it usually scratch at the 60s mark.

Assetto Corsa however pushes for the mid-to-high-70s. So far its the only game I have seen doing that. Without that ventilator tuning, it even reached 10° more. Thats why I consider small and careful downclocking, if it goes beyond 80 again.

Its a hot CPU, a 7700 would have been as well, so this is not unexpected. Its also the reason why I spent slightly more for an OC-capable CPU and mainboard version, although I do not plan to overclock - to be free of any problems in case of wanting to slightly downclock.

I have so excessive performance reserves with this combo, that I could easily afford mild downlcocking.

I may get away with air cooling, however it is clear that if you get these items and plan to seriously overclock, you need a very serious watercooling, not just an AIO.

With this, I think this thread and its purpose is done. Thanks for all who gave input and advise during the times I was still investigating!

File closed.

3. mms

mms Alien

With the cheap thermal paste Intel is using between the die and heat spreader even with water-cooling I doubt you could keep temps below 80 on stress... Delidding could help more, but it's not for the faint-hearted ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  4. Skybird

Skybird Alien

The critical temp for these CPUs are at 100°C, says Intel, I think, and temps in the 70s do not cost me sleepless nights. If AC pushes it a bit higher, then its sitll maybe not optimal, but also not critical.

Further steps are nmeeded if, as I said, somebody wants to seriously overlcok, maybe to the max. I have no need fo rthat, and why risking longevity of components just for nothing my eyes could see, only a test could measure.

5. mms

mms Alien

Agreed, and the CPU's will throttle anyways if they're too hot, no way you can destroy them nowadays by overheating (I pushed my 3770K to 90+ before I did the delidding just to see how far it would go). I'm far from maxing out the OC potential of my CPU, but with the 4.3GHz it stays below 70 even running CPU stress tests on air cooling (Xigmatek Dark Knight SD1283 Night Hawk Edition).

Stephen Driscoll likes this.
  6. Thanks for the stats. Those numbers are outrageous. The limit of my CPU with 24 cars at Spa is 90fps (an intel 4690). The 8700k is doubling that. That suggests the game is well threaded.

I wonder where the limits are on 144hz gameplay. On simple extrapolation you could run a 33 car grid and still be hitting a 144 average. Crazy.

7. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Deleted. Malfunction.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  8. Skybird

Skybird Alien

The Oculus remains at a steady 90 fps, no matter what you throw at it. No tricks needed that compromise it and increase the risk auf nausea.

But it is a hot CPU, do not hope to get away with a mediocre cooling solution. Plan from beginning on with a solid cooler.

The Asus GPU also is getting noisier when it is under load. The clue is. So far only AC b rings it to "unde rload" and turns it noisier. :D

I do not know which of these two beats os the bigger one, CPU or GPU. Ironically, the OC version of the Asus 1080TI is described to remain cooler than the non-OC version. There are changes in the cooling system.

I increased fans from stealth to manual, as described. They stay at minimums until 30°, that gives me most slent mode durign idle, they then increase to maximum until that is reached at 50°. That gave me around -5° drops. (Stealth had these set to 40° AND 70°). I will undervolt a little bit, maybe by -.25 mV, and reduce base tact to 3.5., that should give me around -5° again per tuning, so -5 - -10° in total. That sounds stupidregarding how expensive the hardware was - but I simpky have no software at all that could push this system to its limits, and so can afford to trade a little performance for lower temps, also in summer my room temperature is about 5-7 degrees higher.. Stability, and Oculus at 90fps, remain priority, however.

9. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I tested at Mid-Ohio, a very hardware-demanding track in AC, one of the very few where on my old hardware I had to reduce the car number, to belo 14, to avoid stutterings (all Kunos default tracks were smooth with 24 cars) . I had 33 cars at start, 24 before me, and 8 behind me. Plenty to see, plenty to be calculated, and then the smoke from tyres (maxed out), and a collision in turn one. Here Oculus went from 90 frames down to 50 frames - for maybe 1-2 seconds LOL, then it went back to 90 and stayed there for the whole race. :D CPU temp never went higher than 75° in one core, two cores at 70°-74°, and the other three stayed between 62° and 69°.

Those vent settings that I changed, did a little wonder. Earlier with default settings, AC pushed things to mid-80s. I saids aearlier I gained 5 degreews, I think, but in fact it have been 5-10 degrees .

The GPU I did not measure with numbers, just by ear. And its fans go from off at idle, to first third of their noise levels during AC. I cvannot even say what I did two days ago to make them nosier, the GPU fans I had not tuned. Maybe the coller air temperatur einside the chassis.

You need a solid cooler, av ery good one for this CPU. But not necessarily a water system. And AIOs I would avoid anyway, they are noisier than a good air cooler, but do not add that much to temperature drops.

10. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Heck, always when you think you're done, soemthing else comes to mind...

Power consumption. I plugged a measuring instrument between the PC's power plug and the wallmounted outlet.

At idle, the system sits at 72-75W. Playing Robo Recall or AC, has the power consumption going up to 365 Watt.

The first value is below my expectations (don't they say 90 or 95W for the K-version of the 8700, and 65 for the standard 8700?). The latter value is pretty much the centrespot of my expectation range of 350-400W. I think you could do with less than a 750W PSU, 700 or even 600W. 500W - I would be hesitant to go that far.

If you plan to overclock, maybe rethink that advise, but I leave it to others to assess things there, I have no experience with OC. I only know that the CPUs power consumption almost skyrockets upwards for smaller and smaller performance gains. I think its not worth it.

After software shut-down, the PC still draws 8W. If you do not turn off the PSU main switch, the system still eats power.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  11. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

@Skybird, have you tried x-plane? I'm curious as to how far you could push the rendering options in that sim on the 8700. It is extremely cpu hungry. Unfortunately it is still stuck in OpenGL for multi platform support so the GPU will have to sit and wait for the cpu most of the time.

12. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Tried X-Plane longer time ago, but at that time stuck with FSX and PMDG, for several reasons. X-Plane does some things better than FSX, and some things worse. On those features that weigh heavy on my list of priorities, it is rather weak. Its strengths are stuff that I am less interested in. I am a button-pusher type of flyer, simply flying a small plane from A to B becomes boring rather soon, no matter how good the flight physcs are. And that is FSX terrain. I also rate airport sceneries for approach and landing as well as taxcing and lift off as quite important, and again X-Plane is no rival to FSX's addon world in this regard.

Have not flown since long time, however. Very long time now, I just realise. Blame AC for that.

13. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

14. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Thanks, but while I give XPlane that it has the better dynamic flight pyhsics and better global scenery, It takes cockpiot complexity a la PMDG 737 or 747 or 777 to make me happy. It needs enahnce airportz gorund services and interwctinmg with ground crew to taxi or to get oushed,m suppolied, boarded. And it takes airport sceneries of the com0pleixty and looks you get with the real big ones by for exmaple Aerosoft , becasuze durign taxiing, tkaign off, approahcign and landing you interact with the gorund in a way than yiou do not durign othe rohases of flight, and you are so close tot he gorudn that the looks indeed play a dominant role for convincing immersion.

If I would look for flying small and sports aircraft, I would go with XPlane indeed, due to better dynamic flight pohysics. My realm last tiem I flew was airliner operaitons, however. And that is FSX/PMDG/AES etc. territory. :)

Currently I only play excessive table tennis, drive cars around tracks and hunt tanks in the countryside . LOL

chksix likes this.
  15. There's so many leaks of this sort now that it seems very likely.

https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_ma..._is_rumoured_to_have_8_cores_and_16_threads/1

Intel line-up at the end of 2018: [Product/Cores/Threads] I7 8/16, I5, 6/12, I3, 4/8.

That will represent a doubling of core counts in a 12 month period, and would bring parity with Ryzen (and superior IPC). Furthermore the I3 of late-2018 is an upgraded version of the I7 of mid-2017.

If I owned an 8700K I'd be cheering - all the more incentive for games to code for >4 cores. Companies that have continued using legacy engines that haven't re-coded for quad-cores, will be under more market pressure to adjust. The minimum spec may well be 8 threads, for many games circa 2020, and this will bring a new era of simulation quality.

The computer market hasn't been this interesting since the 90's.

16. Serge M

Serge M Alien

May finally have a reason to upgrade the good ole 3930k...

17. Does the 3930K handle AC well? I'm very curious.

18. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Mine is clocked at 4.4Ghz using a Noctua ND14 cooler, no issues at all so far as I can tell. Hard to know what if anything would improve upgrading the CPU other then power consumption. The bigger annoyance is that the X79 platform doesn’t have proper USB3 that work with oculus so I’m using an add in card and there’s random hic ups with it, nothing major though

19. Yeah, I'm just curious to see how an older, 12 thread CPU handles things - i.e. what % CPU utilisation and FPS you get with a full 24 car grid, or something like that.

Sounds like a beastly CPU.

20. Serge M

Serge M Alien

I’ll see if I can do some testing in the next day or so. I race in VR and find it’s always on 90fps except for a few seconds at the start. 1.6 pd, all but smoke and reflections maxed