1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Porsche 917/30 - some ideas how to deal with the beast

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by menos | M6, Nov 2, 2016.

1. menos | M6

menos | M6 Hardcore Simmer

As many, I do absolutely love what Kunos has delivered with the first Porsche Pack and can't wait to see the other upcoming packs later this year.

I do my Porsche consumption within Assetto Corsa piece by piece, bite by bite and car by car.
    I spent the days since Porsche Pack 1, day 1 most of the time inside a Porsche RSR 3.0 cockpit, mostly around Nordschleife.

Curiosity brought me next to the Porsche 917/30 and I intent to understand and learn how to handle this one.

The car was pretty famous not just for it's outrageously insane power output for circuit racer in it's day (and continuous to be to this day), but it was probably most famous for the very few men who dared to tame this beast and be brave and skilled enough to race it in anger, Mark Donohue to be most noted.

When dealing for the very first time with the Porsche 917/30, most notably three things stay with you forever:

1) it's brutal acceleration once the turbos deliver their unfathomable power surge
    2) it's unbelievably big Turbo lag, keeping the engine revs up over the course of a lap being a real challenge
    3) it's spool differential rear axle which simply does not let any novice turn the car around a corner in the same fashion one would turn other cars

Here is a thread for everyone to chime in, share ideas, historic facts, stories and experience regarding to this car.

I'll start with pointing to an interesting discussion over at another forum I stumbled in today when searching for information about the type of differential Porsche engineers were choosing for cars as the mighty 917/30 (and later high powered Porsche endurance racers):

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/90682-mark-donohue-and-the-locked-differential/

… and yes, I have put Mark Donohue's book "The unfair advantage" is on my Christmas list too!

Big thanks to The Meco and Kunos to make this very car happen - only now do I slowly start to realize how important this very car is - in history - in simulator racing and in learning about technology and one's skills how to tame it.

Mike1304, MJ911, DaveS78 and 8 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Porsche 917/30 rear wing description Mar 29, 2017
    Console Lounge The possibility to change the Aero wings on Porsche 917/30 are missing on PS4 , is possible on PC Dec 18, 2016
    Screens & Videos Porsche 917/30 vs. Lotus Exos AI race Nov 26, 2016
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Porsche 917/30 Nov 23, 2016
    Screens & Videos /DRIVE: 1500+ hp Porsche 917/30 Nov 19, 2016
    Screens & Videos This is a good one: The Porsche 917/30 Nov 11, 2016
    Physics Bugs & Issues Porsche 917/30 and 911 RSR - camber animation not working Oct 28, 2016
    3D car models Porsche 917/30 Jul 28, 2014
    ACC Gameplay Porsche 935 in GT2 Europe category Apr 8, 2024
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Shifting Motion telemetry for Porsche GT1 is WAY too strong. Dec 23, 2023
    ACC General Discussions Porsche 992 GT3 R Horizontal LED dashboard Oct 16, 2023
    ACC Gameplay Do we have any better Porsche Cup liveries for single player mode Jul 10, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Porsche GT3 992 Rear View Monitor Jul 9, 2023
    ACC Physics PLEASE Help the 992 Porsche GT3R Jun 19, 2023
    ACC Physics Porsche CUP keeps bouncing Apr 25, 2023

3. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Cool :)

I know little of this car's history, always nice to connect more with the simulated version of a track or car.

Thx!

arthur666 likes this.
  4. Glaurung

Glaurung Hardcore Simmer

As I said in an other thread, after driving the 917/30 every other car seems like my son's Bobby Car.
    Some curiosities:
    - the car was also known in North America as "Turbopanzer"
    - during qualify with max boost the car reached 1.580 hp and 1.112 Nm torque: the most powerful race car ever
    - the torque was so high that in some cases a slip between the rim and the tyre was experienced
    - when asked to Mark Donahue if the car was too powerful, he answered:"It will be too powerful when the rear tyres slide when accelerating in forth gear in the straight"

5. Guidofoc

Guidofoc Alien

It was the first car I tried and maybe I made a mistake because the rest of the cars seemed like golf carts after trying the beast:D but I was surprised to find out that it is actually driveable even at 100% boost and even at the Nordschleife. Short shifting and feathering the gas in 1st and 2nd gear, lifting the gas to lower the front of the car to aim it correctly before a corner, that was all I needed to.. survive. Of course being fast is another thing..

Dessu, DaveS78, alex72 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Yup. I was surprised how easy it was for me to handle.

I have had a hell of a lot tougher time getting to grips with the 935 and RSR. Default setups of those are very unsuitable for me--especially the RSR.

I haven't spent too much time in the 917, so I don't have a whole lot of comments. Yet.

7. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Wasn't so much an issue for me so far in the 917.
    In the 935 on the other hand I ran into this when we raced at the Nordschleife Endurance (well, wanted to, got pushed out on lap 1).
    To achieve a proper top speed and to adapt the gears to the corners at the ring, I had to raise first gear so I could use it in more corners.
    However, in the first/second corner after start/finish (tight right, tight left) the revs dropped so much that there was a lot of turbo lag.
    The solution I chose was to clutch out midcorner in T2, rev up and clutch in again.
    That means that the rear wheels will spin and you have to powerslide out of the corner, which however is quite controllable due to the rear locked axle.

Didn't try this so far with the 917, but with some practise, I think you can get it working.
    Maybe use the adjustable turbo to lower the power for some corners and raise it after you're "safe".

I really need to get into that 917 again, didn't drive it since release day (ok, did a small test on the drag strip, but that's about it ;)).
    Again, I didn't see this much of a problem in the 917, but rather the lack of overall grip at the front.
    The only thing you shouldn't forget is to downshift into the lowest acceptable gear. If the gear is too high, then it will understeer.

Edit: Should also mention that imo both the 935 and the 917 suffer for a fifth gear.
    Can understand though why Porsche built this setup into these power-beasts. ;)

8. Mogster

Mogster Alien

So in simple terms having no diff makes the ridiculous wheel spin in low gears easier to handle???

9. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

To some degree, yes. But the more power you have (=the more wheel spin), the harder it will get. Also might depend on the ARB.

IMO, power-drifting out of a corner in the 935 is really easy, if you have a decent throttle control on your right foot.
    At said T2 on the Ring, I only spun it once on one of the first tries, after that it really wasn't a big deal to hold it (maybe around 20 laps or lap starts in total).
    Didn't need to do so in other corners, but if the back let go, it was still easy to catch.

The 917 I only drove for those first 4 laps around Tourist on release day and didn't touch since.
    Back then, I was of course quite cautious (especially since a lot of other cars were on the track), so I didn't really try to powerslide it.
    But at least if the back stepped out occasionally, I was able to catch it without breaking out in a sweat.
    Guess it could work pretty much the same. But then, the turbo lag on it isn't as bad as on the Moby Dick, so maybe it's not a big deal anyway.

Mogster likes this.
  10. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

My recipe for the 917/30 is this:

1.) Braking only in a straight line
    2.) Coasting until apex
    3.) feeding the power gently from there
    4.) Shortshifting from 2nd to 3rd
    5.) finding some talent

I've got points 1 to 4 covered:cool:

11. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

Shortshifting why? You have only 4 gears, use them all.

12. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Yes but you can only use 1/2 throttle in 1st and 2nd... :confused:

13. You need to be on the throttle before the apex. Spool diff life.

Fat Rich likes this.
  14. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

Still can't drive it, like, at all.

It's fun, tho :D With my level of (sim)racing experience, cars with effectively no diff feel counter-intuitive to what I am used to. Slow corners kill me. Threw it around my favourite shakedown location tourist nords for an hour or two some days ago, but I feel as if I'm losing half a second out of every turn because I am WAYYY WAYYY too late on the throttle. Also, wtf powah.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  15. I saw Dennis streaming himself driving it on Nords Tourist trying to get WR... I tried too and yeah, RIP these guys :D

16. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

Yeah yeah, just when I thought "Alright, this Dennis Lind guy beat me by less than a second, so there can't be THAT much time left on the road"...

A wild William "excuse me, you dropped 10 seconds back there, here ya go" Levesque appears!

:D

17. Seria17hri11er likes this.
  18. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

Insight into where those elusive seconds are hiding, excellent. Not that I'll catch 'em, but thanks nonetheless :D

19. menos | M6

- don't short shift (modulate throttle instead)
    - keep the rev counter up and the Turbos spooling during cornering
    - the car with it's spool diff will turn under acceleration and will plow straight ahead when coasting
    - during fast switching corners left-right-left … you need to dance the car through the turns, keeping it unstable and on it's tows (don't steer with the steering wheel only and keep it always dancing)

20. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

check. It's probably the achievement I'm most proud of yet.

ch.. DAMN this is difficult. It just slips away on me sometimes. My mind keeps interfering, saying "Slip angle is your enemy. You slide, you lose. Slick tyres hate you for it."

almost check. Got my head wrapped around the principle, but I feel as if I have to defy my muscle and visual memory for the required difference in how you approach the corner

Yeah, this is a combination of things you have to keep in check. It's soooo difficult to balance it all. :D

But it's soooo rewarding when you get it right. I'm probably one of the slower guys in simracing, but for the sake of improving on oneself and reaping the rewards of continuous practice, I predict lots and lots of hours of frustration, anger, relief, and happiness with that notion. It's not keeping it on the road that is so difficult (the car is surprisingly stable when you look at its RIDICULOUS stats), but negotiating the limits is, as it's such a different animal. Out of the cars that go pretty fast around the ring, I'm used to the C9 the most (which almost has only half the horsepower of the 917, but goes faster on a straight line because LeMans downforce, yo), and it felt like a modern open-wheeler after practicing with the 917. Almost makes you feel like the C9 has too much front grip in general. :D

I highly doubt I'll ever get below 6:10 in the 917, but I'm at a point where I can say "damn, half a second quicker, that's a lot! let's find the other half.", and that's pretty important for my motivation. Last year, I felt as if doing laps that differed north of 5 seconds from each other on such a long track were kinda consistent. Kinda outrageous in hindsight. I wonder if there's improvement to be made once I switch out my swivelling office chair for a proper race seat. Gear acquisition syndrome is a b***h tho, especially when you're already a musician :D

TL;DR: Improving, albeit slowly. Motivation is high, fun outweighs frustration. Hopeful it stays that way.

21. menos | M6

I always treat the 917/30 as a bit a special candy.
    I wouldn't have the nerve of running it all the time but do a few laps on occasion which makes it all feel very exciting and special.

Although I posted those few check points I try to keep in my head around a lap above by no means do I fully adhere to them.
    There are always those laps around the ring when you run a few slow clean laps to get used to the car and then on lap 4 or 5 you start to attack and half through the track plow the car straight ahead, understeering into a barrier at slow motion speed ;-)

@ Fairbanks, consider yourself the fasted man around Nordschleife on an office chair with 1200+ HP ;-) It kind of sounds cool to me.

Fairbanks and Seria17hri11er like this.