1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Back to my progressive apex-spline-detection, I finally managed to get a prototype working.

I simply hardcoded monza spline positions for some interesting/cuttable corners with the world position on the racing line. I'll post an examples in the following Spoiler.
    I simply noted the spline position for a corner, and where the car should be in world coordinates. So we detect the cross of a specific spline position and compare the corner position with the current one to get the distance between "where you should be" and "where you should have been".

monza_02_prima_variante_details.jpg

Btw yes - this isn't the apex. I tried to define the redline more to the exit of a cut, otherwise you would be punished too hard by late breaking.

After the first results I needed some finetuning regarding my first formula; basically now it uses
    • speed - 50 km/h, so you gain little or none rating if you're slow
    • distance from racing line with a threshold of 5 (whatever 5 units are)
    Then your rating for crossing an apex is
    • distance * speed / 500
    Then the rating would be counted beyond a threshold, currently 1.

The app will currently show the last cut rating, the distance to the racing line and a running total (of Rating > 1).
    So a cut in T1@monza would look like this in the app:
    gui.jpg

A little cut, maybe accidentially and without an advantage should not exceed a rating of around 2, but that would require more testing. I could image this would be handy for voting cutters off, they would have some points > 5-10 soon.

Results so far:
    Basically it seems to work. You shouldn't ban automatically based on the rating, but with a human mind in between this might be better data than "how many tyres are out".

Problems:
    • I'm not happy with the possible behaviour if you was shot out of a corner. This could lead to a rating (speaking in t1@monza) around 3, where other chicanes would rate an intentinal cut around the same.
    • Further on this mechanic knows nothing about running short or wide - so you could get an insane rating for running wide (pretty fast). Have to add some kind of direction vector.
    • I'd like to reduce the calculation on the moment of tyres out > 2, but this won't be able to detect for other players
    • This algorithm is based on the SplineNormalizedPosition, which seems not to be available for other players as well.

So I'm thinking of going away from spline+apex position and really draw a simple "red"line each relevant corner. This way we could finally detect cuts for all players, and would only calc the inner side of the corner (or whatever we define).

If you like to test this yourself, I've attached a cutter.zip. Unzip to assettocorsa\apps\python. Won't work for other tracks than monza in this version.

Attached Files:

ChokDK likes this.
  2. I was given no less than THREE of those 5 second penalties over the first two laps of an online race @ Nurburgring GP this afternoon, and all of them were because I had to swerve to avoid crashed and/or spun cars. I rest my case ;)

3. why can't you devs just add a few speed bumps in monza t1 besides the collidable objects, like you did in vallelunga?
    [​IMG]

4. Joao Alves

Joao Alves Racer

Because it's a valid runoff area. And as someone who never cuts on purpose, but does run off sometimes, I'd be really pissed if they did that. It's not a solution to the greater issue.

Phil64 likes this.
  5. yeah, but they could be arranged alternated, so you have to do it in slalom/zig zag

6. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Thats why I keep those penalties off on my servers and we dont use them in league races. Using Wally's PLP app still seems the best solution for normal drivers. For the big cheaty cuts is the only place that needs an instant penalty.

If running PLP and you run wide but back off a little so you dont gain time in most cases it wont register as a cut. Go too wide on an exit and keep it floored not getting any penalty from your error will register as a cut as it should.

If your running wide and coming back on track too often with no net loss you shpuld get a penalty. Thats why his system has the 3 cuts do it a couple times and the next time you will be staying on track to avoid a penalty.

If you run off track to avoid accidents you will mostly slow dowm enough to not register as a cut. People coming up with way more complicated methods may want to give plp a try first. It is way better then the default cut slowdom but is client based and drive throughs not enforced by game just app. This being coded into the game with the options it has and instant penalty for extreme cuts will be hard to improve on.

7. Champion Hero

Champion Hero Simracer

The danger with that is that if someone does accidentally run wide, instead of remaining in control and coming back on safely, there is a good chance either something will break (especially if we get improved damage), or it'll unsettle the car, causing it to spin back into the track and take out some innocent driver behind.

Ultimately, what you are suggesting is a plaster-fix to one corner, of one particular circuit. It wouldn't work across the board, and that's what we need. A system that fairly punishes those deliberately abuse the rules.

Joao Alves likes this.
  8. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

I dunno, if track cutting is the biggest issue, then why not implement something like an "invisible sand pit" where if over a certain speed, you get sand trapped and generally stuck. Under a certain speed (too slow to gain time), no invisible pit?
    Just an idea. Just one more collidable object(or a few depending on the track) without the need for actually rendering it.

As far as wide turns are concerned, maybe implement the same general idea, but make everything (lets say 3.5m from the kerb or asphalt) into this "invisible sand pit". The tracks and some run off room stays drivable, but anywhere past that 3.5m away puts you in a pit. May save some people from a few crashes, but that system should cover cutting too. A custom invisible sand pit for each track, perhaps in quali and race only, doesn't sound too bad does it? Maybe on specific chicanes that 3.5m can be further reduced.

9. jasjeet

jasjeet Racer

The same way you are detecting a cut could be used to implement a flag system with a few extra checks/algorithms.

The result of a cut is not the problem, it's the detection.

10. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Seriously? Kunos has stated before that a flag system was not intended, so this thread is all about a flag system we've already been told is not coming? Please stop begging for a flag system. The game already hogs your CPU, you want it constantly making another 8 calculations per car?

Simple and sweet is the answer. My idea may not be the best, but at least I'm not asking for something we've been told is NOT coming.

Minolin likes this.
  11. Madsen

Madsen Hardcore Simmer

no :p

jc1993 likes this.
  12. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Pick up coding and make one yourself, Python is a fairly simple scripting language. :p
    Don't waste devs time on something they've already said is NOT coming.

13. .Repa24

.Repa24 Hardcore Simmer

Wich is just dumb in my opinion...
    Why do the developers care about ramming people on
    servers? What's the problem in finding a racing community or a league?
    God damn, do they really want to concentrate on players who don't give a shi* about this game or about players who still play the game in 2-3 years?

14. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Have you actually read any of this thread?
    Go back a few pages and you'll see Lord Kunos has said he is working on it.
    Now don't waste our time by contradicting what's already been said by the devs.

Joao Alves, jasjeet and Hagen like this.
  15. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Actually I have, and NOWHERE does he mention a flag system. He wants to revise the PENALTY system. They are not the same thing.
    What have I contradicted?

And I did some more digging thru his twitter feed

"@swing_guitars @ChokDK1 the hope is that, one day, we'll have an option for everything.. be it flags, spotters and whathaveyou."

Sounds like maybe ONE DAY he'll get to it or maybe ONE DAY a modder will do it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  16. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

You said they're not giving us a flag system. The contradiction is; they are. How would you suppose a penalty system would work without flags? Somewhere around page 12 or 13 he mentions yellow flags and a couple of pages before that blue flags are also mentioned. I can't be arsed trawling through the entire thread just to prove you wrong, but try singling out Lord Kunos' posts.

Hagen and ears1991 like this.
  17. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Doesn't sound like hes working on a flag system. Sounds like maybe he wants to provide the driver with on track info. Like the Spotter App does. It does not use a flag system but can still alert the driver that there is a slow car ahead.

Also we have a penalty system, albeit a simple one, with no flags. I also offered a suggestion above in addition to all the others, like the rating system. OH NO, NO FLAGS??? CAN'T BE A RACING SIM. Get over it, its a game. GT and Forza are by far the most popular racing titles out there, with no flags. Anyone a part of project cars beta? They got flags? (I honestly don't know).
    EDIT: PCars does plan on flags.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  18. You has modified message's order, the first is the later one writted by lord kunos, i know because he write that in response to one of my post. I, like you, had misunderstood his first message about yellow flags.

Flag are confirmed, what are not coming are the other controls, like slow down check or overtaking on yellow flag situation :)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

bigbawmcgraw likes this.
  19. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

pCARS does have flags, however they aren't perfect.

An AI car goes off in the gravel and stops, so a yellow flag is displayed. A lap later a car might go off in the exact same gravel trap, but no yellow flag is displayed. Kinda odd and inconsistent at the moment.

The flags only show up on screen as a GUI element, there are no animated flags from track marshals etc.

20. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

I apologize for the order mixup, I simply searched and copied what I found. Still I do not believe he is confirming flags. But we shall see. Remember English is not his first language, I took this to mean he will implement something to inform the driver of a slow car, like a yellow flag does. I could be very wrong. Considering his stance on the flag system in the past, I can't see him putting that much effort into it while AI, CPU optimizations, FMOD, etc are still WIP.