1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. you need penalties in order to have flags that make sense. Blue flags can be quite tricky to handle.. yellow flags, meh... the rules in real racing are just there to avoid people from dying.. for a game it's just an unnecessary complication to force you to slow down, check lap times and overtakes.. a lot of corner cases.. what if the guy in front of you just stops for no good reason.. cause he had a telephone call.. what are you supposed to do? Stay behind until he is done? These are the things that require human intervention and CANNOT be coded.

2. WallyM

WallyM Alien

On public servers, you NEED blue flags. Just yesterday I was leading a race and lapping people who clearly had no idea what position they were in, or what position I was in, and they were blocking me, racing me. It was chaos, and actually ruined the other guy's race who was legitimately battling me for position. If the lapped guys actually saw a blue flag, they'd at least know they were being lapped. Now whether they actually behave then is another matter, but it's got to be better than not even knowing you're being lapped.

3. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

yes this happens way too often because people are allowed to join mid race, which shouldnt be allowed until/unless blue flags are implemented imo

jc1993, jasjeet, WallyM and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ghost car makes so much sense, too bad I threw up in my mouth a little just thinking about it. Cries of 'ARCADE!' would pierce the air (and forums) for all of eternity.
    As much sense as ghosting makes, considering that we are playing an electronic game and not actually real world racing, it would ruin all credibility of AC being a simulation. (probably would be a nightmare to code also)

That surprises me. I would have thought that blue flags would be the easiest to code.

ChokDK likes this.
  5. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

For one thing, if stewards got to be the ones who decide (most) of penalties, we first of all need to be able to watch the full replay (sorry to repeat that one :) )
    The 500 mb max is not enough to get the first (very important) 2 or 3 laps in a league race at 20-25 laps with eg. 18 drivers.

If the "3-cuts-then-drive-through" is rather easy to code, then I guess most (also league racers) could accept that.
    Every driver knows he got 3 cuts (or maybe more/less if race is longer/shorter).
    Show me a deasent fast driver that is not on the limits now and then :)

I also like the idea of "Max-50-km-when-joining-track".
    It might need a time base as well though:
    If car is outside the track longer than n time then Join at max 50 km/h.

Yeah, ghosting cars in turn 1 would be nice, but maybe also a pain in the butt (last driver goes full speed passing those who doing it "right")
    ... more to come ;)

6. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I'd guess they knew fine well they were a lap or more down but just wanted to have a race. PITA I know but if they get away with it they will do it.
    Race07 solved this problem by giving lapped drivers 3 warnings (blue flags) to move out of the way (depending on distance from the car behind) and if they ignored the 4th warning they were black flagged and automatically taken to the pits and unable to rejoin the race.
    I would like to think this would be easy to implement in AC too.

7. guys sadly the replay situation is not going to change. Nobody here is willing to sacrifice replay quality for length and we are already fighting for every bit, things might improve a bit but not a lot.. please don't start loosing focus on the discussion.

8. yes, very reasonable.

ChokDK, 7he4Ce, Bill Wiskins and 5 others like this.
  9. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  10. I dont think its needed to reinvent the wheel here, just copy the GTR2 approach and its fine with me. Nothing will be 100% fitting for those insane public racers, in leagues no one will deliberately cut the track because he knows it will only cause a warning.
    It is impossible to please this "community". To many angry people around, only a good life can help them.

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  11. patrod

patrod Simracer

Really?? are you serious ??

jc1993, demonized and MAUZERIS[LT] like this.
  12. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Just because it is impossible to write code that flawlessly solves every situation should not mean you never even try do anything about it. There are ways to make public racing better and I'm glad it is being discussed.

Rui Santos and ears1991 like this.
  13. Cut on last lap = reset to pits, DNF given
    Don't do the drivethru = reset to pits, DNF given, possibly kicked from server
    Speed on pit lane = either,
    A. second drive through with a stop and go
    B. reset to pits, DNF given if speeding while serving penalty happens within last two laps of race (or x amount of time if appropriate)

Deatroy, Bkim, Bill Wiskins and 3 others like this.
  14. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

I'm sorry, but that was not loosing focus.
    If you want to leave it up to stewards to take care of the penalty system and they're not able to see what is happening in 1.st corner (etc) then it's useless to go for that.

(EDIT): If it's "only" about sacrifice of replay quality, why not just make an info telling "higher than this is spoiling the replay quality"?
    It's enough if just ONE driver got it, then upload replay for the stewards.
    Could be the league admin/steward only.
    And I will not talk more about it now - up to you then ;)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    Rui Santos, WallyM and MAUZERIS[LT] like this.
  15. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

But what if you was hit to go outside the track then?
    Besides, this is not totally "sim" is it?
    Hmm what to do then :)

16. patrod

patrod Simracer

I'm wondrering why, if you want to keep your 500m0 due to 32bits limitation, you can't write a file each time you reach this memory limitation??

jc1993 likes this.
  17. I think that yellow flags can help you avoid accidents in a race, what about a car that spins and is stopped in the middle of the next turn?
    Seein a yellow flag can help me to reduce the entry speed for the next turn, and maybe avoid a contact that can ruin my race.
    I think it's very important for organized leagues, where an accident like that can ruin an entire championship ;)

18. No, totally sim would be you forfeiting all points and monetary winnings by blatantly disregarding the rules on the last lap, and good luck with getting through tech next week...but since this is a only a game.........

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  19. Maybe its possible to check the speed at which the track was left, the time you spend off track and the re-entry speed?
    Like when you leave the track at 100 kmh, spend only a second or less off track and re-entry at still roughly 100kmh you would receive a warning (or whatever).
    But if you leave the track at 100 kmh, spend two or more seconds off track and re-entry at much less kmh than you left the track, everything would be fine, no warning.
    The numbers would need to be balanced of course, maybe there could even be defined zones for different corners.

Sure. I just think that is nothing for Lord Kunos to loose his hair over, as most people would just be happy if the game wouldnt cut their throttle but still some punishment will happen if you cut to much. The majority of comments regarding any new penality system will be negative, people are just happy to complain about anything without having a better solution in mind.

20. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Yellow flags are still good source of info about what is behind the corner even if there are no penalties for not reducing your speed. Simply seeing the yellow flag already helps and in most cases is enough on its own. If leagues want to enforce stricter yellow flag rules using apps or something like that then give them the info to do so.