1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Racing with AI performance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Leonardo Ratafia, Jan 18, 2014.

1. I've just tried hotlapping Abarth 500 at Magione and Race with AI Event on my Hardware #2 Specs PC.
    The results are in a 30FPS loss and when starting even more, up to 50FPS drop.
    Pit Straight Hotlap Mode
    [​IMG]

Pit Straight Race vs AI Mode
    [​IMG]
    Back Straight Hotlap Mode
    [​IMG]
    Back Straight Race vs AI Mode
    [​IMG]

Later on will do the same test on Hardware 1 Specs PC and post the results

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Virtual Reality VR Racing Performance "Trick" May 31, 2022
    ACC General Discussions Physical Condition v Sim Racing Performance Dec 6, 2019
    Chit Chat Room BMW M235i Racing Performance Book Feb 8, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Simracing performance guide Oct 5, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Performance delta like in iracing? Nov 15, 2014
    ACC General Discussions An official Assetto Corsa discord server please. (iracing, raceroom, and gt7 has one) Mar 16, 2024
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] Racing Pals RP Series - Sundays @ racing-pals.com Jan 22, 2024
    ACC General Discussions Coming back to racing Jan 7, 2024
    Online Leagues / Championships room I am trying to make a racing league! Dec 19, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Racing/Hotlapping against other players' ghost Dec 3, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT3 - USA Sprints | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Nov 7, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT4 - World Sprints | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Oct 8, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room [PC] GT3 - Euro Sprints #2 | Thursday [SimRacing-GP.net] Sep 6, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC / OSR Setup Tool Web App (Open-Source-Racing.com) Aug 30, 2023
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room Crazy-Racing vom GT3 09.09. - 10.12.2023 Aug 17, 2023

3. Now i did the following test on the same PC:
    I created a modified event with 6 cars in total, instead of 12 that come as default.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much better performance and at least is playable, "only" 20 FPS loss.

4. Now I tested on Hardware 1, the Q9550 is really really good, for those who still have a S775 motherboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Full Grid
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

at least is playable in a decent way, but again almost 50% FPS drop, it's too much

5. Thorburn

Thorburn Rookie

You are CPU limited - those Core 2 Quad chips are about 6 years old now.

Don't see much of a drop at all on my i7-3960X.

6. cool, i'm not complaining, i'm just sharing my experience on both PC. on the fastest one is still playable, that's all.
    not everybody has an i7 cpu these days.
    thanks for jumping in though.

And indeed, that's a 6 year old CPU and almost 4 year old video card that still can handle AC's power today. pretty impressive.

7. Thorburn

Thorburn Rookie

True. The game doesn't seem to spread across TOO many cores, so I'd imagine a fast i3 or i5 would do okay.

8. F2kSel

F2kSel Racer

I'd imagine it's only going to get slower, wait until visible damage is available.

9. Zantium

Zantium Racer

You'd be better off using CPU and GPU meters to check where the bottleneck is, I'm not so sure it's CPU. Most people are seeing the biggest drops with more cars on the screen, this sounds more GPU related as whether on the screen or not, the AI driving calculations do not go away just because you can't see them.

Don't forget that these are pretty high poly models and with more cars on screen that's a whole lot more to render, especially as most people are driving from within the car either inside or bonnet cam etc. The interiors only expose a small amount of the model and with no other cars you've only been rendering the track until now. This is why on the single player replays you often see a higher GPU loading as you're seeing more of the model on the default external/TV cam.

Looking at your specs, I'd drop cubemaps to low and faces to 1 on both - reflections are very intensive.

10. thanks, will try that

11. RelapseUK

RelapseUK Racer

Your Memory has a very narrow bandwidth DDR2 667Mhz is very slow. 6GB means that you probably aren't running in dual channel mode and or mismatched latencies/timings. Also your 1GB GTX 560Ti will be a very limiting factor.

Try turning your render settings down, turn off AA and then add the full race compliment. see if that is any better.

12. i have 2x2gb modules and 2x1gb modules, it should be running in DC. Anyways, i don't think that's the main problem, without AI runs perfectly fine. i just don't know if i would need more CPU or GPU power since I can't afford both.
    Still with Hardware 1 i can't complain, it runs fluid at 50fps

13. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I'm pretty sure my AI is CPU-limited too. When I have a big grid (enough to affect fps) changing graphics settings doesn't even budge the framerate. If I run the 460gtx at stock speed (675mhz) or a pretty major overclock (it does 850mhz stable) I get the same rates. When I'm running alone I do see framerate changes with graphics settings.

I do have a mid-range 4 year old PC though so it's not too surprising. Clock speed's only 2.8GHz on the CPU, and AC only seems to use 3 cores..

14. i wonder how multiplayer would be handled, cpu/gpu wise, there are gonna be even more cars

15. Trezoitao38

Trezoitao38 Simracer

I have slowndowns when the smoke of tires appears. I should like to turn off these smokes, its the only effect that make slowndowns on my systems.

Sorry for my bad english.

Nahkamarakatti likes this.
  16. @Trezoitao38 you can change that, just do a search in the forum about smoke or sth, people who drift wants the opposite as you, so there's info about it.

17. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

Surely, that would make it CPU-bound, not GPU-bound? If there's nothing to display, there's nothing to render (which is what the GPU does), and I am pretty sure we had it confirmed that the AI is calculated on CPU. (which makes sense, and otherwise would be odd)

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  18. Zantium

Zantium Racer

Not really, if it was CPU bound the AI is still calculated whether on screen or not therefore you'd have a more constant loss rather than the large dips when more cars are on screen.
    AI is calculated on the CPU though, that is correct - but the context of this thread is where are these particular machines bottlenecked. Anyway, it's easy enough to monitor both CPU usage and GPU usage, that's the quickest way to find out instead of guessing.

19. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

Ahh, I see what you mean. Frame rate drops while in a race with multiple cars, but ONLY when more cars are displayed.

With my I5/Titan combo I don't really see any issues, and only see framerate dip a bit if there's lots of smoke and/or dust through locking brakes and cars hitting the gravel.

20. gnr_tb

gnr_tb Racer

you know if you had 200 fps before, 30 fps loss isn't serious, whereas if you had 40fps before ...
    you can't measure performance hit by fps, can't understand why most people can't realize this.

And anyway even if you were measuring by percentage, the different graphic settings and cpu\gpu balance of different computers would give totally different results.

21. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

~ 30fps drop, guess I am lucky:) had about 60fps headroom
    Didn't change my settings at all