1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

rear slip feel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Rawky, Apr 4, 2018.

1. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

I've gone through Les Combes blind in the faxmachine*...
    Hopped on the brakes at the end of the straight and my screen went blank, yet I still managed to navigate the first two corners partially on muscle memory and catching a slide felt in the FFB in the first right hander, and my screen came back for the second right hander.

Granted, we could debate on how much of it was actual reaction to the ffb, and how much was me using muscle memory and past experience to realize I had turned in too much and would have to catch a minor slide, even before the slide was able to be noticed through the ffb. :confused:

*MP4-12C

Reflex actions aren't subconscious thoughts. Though reflex actions aren't exactly useful in racing either. Problem is that many people (often me included) use "fast reflexes" as a synonym to "fast reactions", which are two different things.

"A reflex is made possible by neural pathways called reflex arcs which can act on an impulse before that impulse reaches the brain."

"A reflex arc is a neural pathway that controls a reflex. In vertebrates, most sensory neurons do not pass directly into the brain, but synapse in the spinal cord. This allows for faster reflex actions to occur by activating spinal motor neurons without the delay of routing signals through the brain. However, the brain will receive the sensory input while the reflex is being carried out and the analysis of the signal takes place after the reflex action."

2. Nao

Nao Alien

Nice :). Definitely having the track learned helps in this case. But still an amazing feat!
    On a related note, just recently drove the 98t with proper setup and full attack mode - the car was so much on the edge that FFB was better (faster) at conveying that oversteer is coming than visual cues. It was too slow still, but interestingly enough it was the FFB that taught the muscle memory where to prepare for small countersteer and after ~10-20 laps I stopped relying on it. If i would not think about it while practicing, i may have said that ffb doesn't matter much in this case either, but looking back now it's obvious that it was important.

I guess that what we can take from both examples would be that the trickier / on edge the car is the more important ffb becomes. Quite interesting.

Also agree on the reflex vs reactions part, tangled the two a bit there. Thanks for clearing it up.

Jaood, sacredaardvark and mantasisg 2 like this.
  3. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Indeed massively depends on particular car, perhaps on track conditions and setup too ?

I really love how 98T is simulated, one of the best AC cars IMO, and of course many of best cars in AC as a rule are less popular. One interesting thing about 98T, once I have participated in Imola online race, qualification was quite long, I have managed to get somewhare in the top with good laptime. Then when race started in first lap some big noise in my house caused me to not be able to hear 98T sound, and I pretty much immediately spun. I think hearing an engine in 98T could be most importantly, with 98T it is often enough just to slightly lift off throttle and rear end shakes itself out, very awesome car to go for the limit in AC, it almost feels limitless sometimes :D

They didn't make such cars later.

Nao likes this.
  4. LATE4APEX

LATE4APEX Alien

Thanks for the input aardvark.

Yep, looks like my usage of the term, "reflex action" was incorrect.

But what I was trying to convey was, as Phycology Today states,..."The unconscious is where most of the work of the mind gets done; it's the repository of automatic skills".

We learn a skill , catching snap oversteer, and it becomes something we react to automatically, to input supplied by physical cues, such as feedback from a steering wheel.
    As I understand, what some people call "mussel memory", which is a misnomer, is really just another way to describe a skill that must be learned to be able to automatically react to.

Well at least a skill to react fast enough to stay off of a guard rail.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    sacredaardvark likes this.
  5. ddsmak

ddsmak Hardcore Simmer

6. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Had no issues in AC ever with reacting to the FFB on either G25, T500, CSW v1 and v2. The physics and the FFB out of the box is the #1 reason I and many got into AC in the first place.
    True, it's becomes easier the better the wheel, with more selfaligning torque and faster speed in change of direction. Get the settings down from some that has the T300, then practice.

7. My FFB settings are LOW, so I don't get a huge amount of feedback from the wheel. I prefer to make sure that my G27 stays connected to the desk!

8. Seanspeed

Seanspeed Hardcore Simmer

VR helps quite a lot. You feel more connected to the car even though the FFB through the wheel is unchanged. Something about the immersion just allows you to have a better feel and better reactions for loss of grip.

I've found since switching to VR that I'm now able to drive harder and push through slips that would have otherwise scared me and gotten me to let up too much because I didn't have a good sense of where the limits were. Equally, I can save bigger slips a lot easier.

9. Richie Speed

Richie Speed Gamer

I'm a bit late to the party, but I have no idea what some users are going on about here. I have a T300, and for anybody that has a FFB wheel - The wheel constantly gives feedback on oversteer.

The front tyres on a car always wish to point forwards. So when the back steps out, the front tyres don't care, they keep going forwards. Because of this, as soon as the back steps out, you can let go of your wheel and you will notice it spins itself, keeping the front wheels pointing forwards regardless of where the back of the car goes. (Note - The wheel spinning isn't keeping the tyres pointing forwards, quite the opposite. The tyres continuing forwards forces the wheel to spin as the rear of the car rotates around the front)

The skill in this is knowing when to grab the wheel to control the slide, and how much throttle to apply to ease the back of the car back into a straight line whilst avoiding a tank slapper.

The only possible way you can not feel oversteer is if your FFB is configured to stay centred, or turned off. In this case, the wheel may not rotate in your hands.

TL: DR - The very action of having a FFB wheel means you will always feel oversteer. Between the FFB, visual cues and good throttle control and timing, you will be able to control oversteer.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Haiden773, Dean Ogurek and liakjim like this.
  10. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

In general, I think AC-FFB is very good at providing excellent over-steer indicators. I find that AMS tends to have somewhat more effective tire noise cues in some cars but, the FFB in AC does the job very well.

Haiden773 likes this.