1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Steering input AC & real life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andy-R, Mar 10, 2018.

1. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

Anther feather into "it's about Direct Drive steering wheels"cap, driving - and rapid sawing - starts @ 1:30

2. Serge M

Serge M Alien

What’s the point of this? He’s clearly just stuffing around with no interest in going fast

3. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Simracer

He is not just randomly sawing the wheel all the time though, even when the car is going straight. The point is once the car goes fast enough in any sort of trajectory over uneven surface, the wheel provides strong feedback that the driver responds to and this creates the impression of "micro-corrections". And his steering work does a good impression of the famous YellowBird vid at least, probably the best AC version that I've seen.

This RL driver was just stuffing around with no intention of going fast either btw ;)

4. By style I don't mean that you necessarily choose it, it's just how you drive. Kind of like a baseball pitcher - lots of different styles. They didn't choose their style, it's just how it evolved.

Same car, same steering rack. My vid may look like I'm using more lock because that turn (T5 at Thunderhill) is quite sharp - it's like a mini corkscrew. Wide angle of gopro makes it hard to judge perspective.

5. I assume so, because response time is faster and torque is greater. I have T300. Really want an OSW but can't justify the cost.

6. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

God that extra mile video... why on earth he use that terrible sound mod, AC sound is pretty good by default, IMo it is very good. Also steering is so fake, just to make it slide, to flex a little bit..

@seniordingdong Really looked like different interior to me for some reason....

Perhaps you are right about the style, and that it is the way they developed. But I don't think that is the only reason.

For example that real life yellowbird video. By looking at it you can almost feel how he the tires are flexing left and right a lot under heavy stress. He usually adjusts steering while powersliding, like if he would powerslide in sections, or how he massively adjusts steering when going through karusel. Thats definitely not a style, but how you drive it fast I believe.

hristo1026 likes this.
  7. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I think that if car drives like that it could be very much influenced by tire relaxation length and tire flex being unbalanced for front and rear, so front and rear would oscillate in different rates because of that when driving abruptly.

Tire relaxation length is a lag between steering input and when the tire build up the cornering force and is measured by the distance that it rolls. It is very dynamic I suppose that it depends on load, slip angle and so much more way beyond what I can understand probably. It will have less effect at higher speed, as I suppose it does not depend on speed so will happen quicker. But it will always add more play into steering I think.

Another thing is flex, and if I understand it correctly it has some kind of stretching effect for slip angle, right ? So if tire flex more under load it should be more difficult to locate the peak angle and could result in abrupt steering movements too.

For now it seems to me that having these in different rates at front and rear could make car understeer and oversteer in same turn, require extra steer to make it turn as desired, add some floaty sway feel in some situations, add some more wobble "tank slap", could make rear step up of the line under hard braking, steer a car slightly when it hits larger undulations or especially large kerbs, can make tramlining way stronger on kerbs edges.... Doesn't really affect overall performance and pace significantly, but transforms steering.

Obviously probably depends a lot on the rest of the physics. I have tried those things on XJ13 yesterday, was quite interesting, didn't know exactly what I was doing, just approximately, but knew what I want to get. XJ13 has Etype front geometry, basically a wider Etype front. I am quite happy how it works, a bit too scary on kerbs maybe. But it really makes sense to steer into a kerb when it sucks the car in, to keep it straight.

chksix likes this.
  8. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

3rd post in a row, I am monologue guy. Whatever, I think that it is very interesting...

I have been thinking about steering in long curves.
    5:05

3:40

Thats just a little bit like on gravel with these old cars, well in superperformance case "old". I think I have heard someone in some interview or video saying that riding on crossply tires reminds riding on gravel a bit.

I have learned about interesting thing yesterday. It is that dirt tire will benefit from less deformability, I suppose loose surfaces deformations does part of that job, plus they digs in better then. However, rolling resistance on soft surface increases with stiffer tire.

Really nice comparison. From it looks like tarmac tire has more flex than dirt tire. Tarmac tire is designed to soak more stress as surface is not deformable ?

9. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I have lots of fun with this thread as you might have noticed.

Nice piece to the puzzle.

dermonty likes this.
  10. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

Interesting moment at 1:35

Robin_NL likes this.
  11. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Looking like simracer randomly shaking the wheel. Notice how RL driver is sawing more/less turn to the left to catch and then to steer, and simracer is doing left/right quick steering, maybe not necessary.

But maybe I am wrong.

12. Serge M

Serge M Alien

That’s cool to see. Accurate track and accurate physics so the same event in both real and virtual gives the same result. Sure you could hyperanalise how and how much each person reacted but that’s down to the different people.

13. liakjim

liakjim Alien

@Andy-R does this steering movement seems realistic? It is in my book.

14. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I can't watch your video on my ancient phone but yes the Cobra moves around a lot and requires more steering input than most cars, a bit like the 250F. When I made the thread the GT40 was in the forefront of my mind. Yes even that you can drive it around wiggling the wheel like crazy but it doesn't seem necessary to input much steering at all, much less than I thought it would. Some of the older cars don't feel modern car direct like the 911, 250F, Cobra post tyre wall update, 935 and maybe a few more.

15. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

XJ13 supports sawing steering style

Sawing feels natural, because at the limit tires are slightly less reactive, best slip angles are less obvious, front and rear tires slip in slightly different timing. This gives rather logical sense to steer wheel multiple times (through parrticular curve for example) in order to obtain or maintain optimal steer input at all times.

Car also supports regular more direct more calm steering style, but with it I am ~1percent slower, and less excited :D

Anyway...

Whatever. Rules broken, idk if this is correct, I am biased of course.... but I am quite sure it is something.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  16. Not really its the other way around, you need more input in 918 than AC. Thats why I got the 918 Fanatech, but later found out the fanatech rim is actually a toy instead of the actual 918 steering wheel. Smaller rim mean you use even less input.

But in game, I prefer smaller steering rotation because using real car rotation doesn't give me any extra driving reward. It only made the experience less involving.​

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  17. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

Edited in a way that gives a better idea how unforgiving it is.

Robin_NL likes this.
  18. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

Thanks, on real life trackdays/drifting , people will find out a steeringwheel never is really without motion, not even on the straights.

Cheers
    Robin

19. Because AC's road bump does not disturb the movement of the car.

20. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

another new comparison video from Blancpain GT Driver Romain Monti where you can see the slight differences in wheel movement.

driving part starts at 4:42
    I don't speak french, so maybe someone could translate, what he says in the first part of the video :)

bondyboy, rycil and Serge M like this.