1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Track Surface for Drifting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by =_Racer Fi5h_=, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

I just realized that AC has a setting that allows you to alter the surface of the track. I've been using it to my advantage when it comes to drifting, as it makes the experience significantly better when you have it on the Old/Dusty settings,

Do any of you guys even use this lol? Upon seeing it I thought it would be pointless to even experiment with it, but it is lifechanging. :p

blakescom likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Difference on track surface/texture and dinamic rubbering v.1.00 Vs v1.50 Sep 30, 2020
    ACC Physics Track Surface Model - Grip Jan 2, 2019
    General modding discussion Surfaces.ini link to track model Oct 23, 2018
    Bug reports Online track surface always the same May 27, 2017
    Console Lounge Track surface settings May 19, 2017
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Ambient Temperature vs. Track Surface Temperature Mar 19, 2017
    Suggestions Save track surface settings. Aug 17, 2016
    General modding discussion Track_surface.ini anywhere to be found? Apr 9, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Tracks surfaces - textures. Mar 14, 2016
    Tracks modding Put track version in surfaces.ini Dec 27, 2015
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues Track surface reverts to optimal in practice Dec 26, 2015
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Game/server grip level replace track (surface.ini) grip level? Nov 16, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues No headlight reflection on track surface Aug 19, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Track surface and ai. Jun 24, 2015
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues All kunos`s tracks need to fix surfaces Jun 2, 2015

3. Lowkey

Lowkey Racer

You're better off with higher grip settings but avoid 100%. I use Slow for around 95 + or - 1

4. Slamdrunken

Slamdrunken Racer

i like the feel of greens tracks

=_Racer Fi5h_= likes this.
  5. rd.king

rd.king Hardcore Simmer

Run a race weekend with practice/qualifying
    start with the green track setting and feel the track surface rubber in, makes it that much more immersive.
    Corners get tighter, lap times get faster, braking improves.
    Try it out

6. Nao

Nao Alien

Personally i don't mind drifting on optimal (100%) grip, it's perfectly doable even with semislicks. But imho the best thing about low grip is how it reduces the limitation of hardware and lack of comfort with drifting. If you have a slow wheel (or just not optimized for drifting) and not enough experience it's easier to learn and more enjoyable to drift with street tyres on a dusty track.
    Also high grip requires better understating of thermal changes in the tyres so that you can know how the car will react in subsequent corners and adjust driving style actively, instead of trying to wrestle the car reactively and loose it because the car changed it's balance mid drift. Low grip can make these transitions less visible and easier to cope.

If i were to recommend a grip setting to keep for long time i'd go with @Lowkey 's Slow (green track also reaches 95% but it's a bit more random).

7. I have experience with drifting in other Racing games, but as this is a simulation it isn't really on the Racers side, so I am finding it rather tricky. But i've got to admit its way too satisfying driving a BMW M30 from your virtual garage onto a Dusty Drift track :p

How do you setup your car dude to make it drifty?

All I do is increase the pressure of the wheels, but theres bound to be other settings to make Drifting easier!? c:

8. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Just take the drift spec e30. :D

9. Nao

Nao Alien

@=_Racer Fi5h_= Take the BMW Z4 Drift spec, it's an underrated gem of a car... it's so easy to drift that even grandma can do it, heck it's hard not to drift it. And it can take soo much angle that even on completely wasted rear tyres you can still keep it on track in clouds of smoke.:cool:
    Plus you can adjust turbo levels in this car by pressing numbers 1-0 (1= 10% 0=100%) that also damages engine so either use damage: off or ctrl+Q to disable the annoying monit)

Z4 is good stock. As for setting up other cars to drift i do it like this:
    Max negative front camber, add 2-4 psi to front tyres, remove 8-14 psi from rears if it's something like powerful BMW, less or even none with lotuses/ferraris etc. Pick street tyres (preferebly not the 90's as they are a bit more difficult temperature wise and you need some front grip to have comfortable entry). Rest is minor car specific settings

ps: As a personal note unless you have some expensive wheel increasing minimum force and ffb gain helps the steering response for drifting. Ideally it should be possible to drift from corner to corner barely holding the wheel with fixed hand, depending solely on FFB to move the wheel around (using drift spec car).

donShere likes this.
  10. ZethGAF

ZethGAF Simracer

Do you guys drift with tire wear on or off? I've been leaving it on but I don't know what else the difference is besides 98 vs 99% wear most of the time.

11. TDS

TDS Alien

for me i join driftjunkies sweden servers when i drift. 90's tires and 96 trackgrip.. love the e30 drift spec.
    great fun after 30 minutes im sweating balls and have to take a brake hehehehe

12. Nao

Nao Alien

Personally i like the tyre damage evolution of blistering and wear... it's slow enough to adjust to the evolving car. So unless there are some physics issues (like the E30D blowing up tyres) or when it's drift challenge for points/levels wear: on it is.

The 1% difference can be pretty huge when driving a carefully balanced racecar on the limit, but when drifting the rear grip drops by 5-15% from temperature alone so the added effect of wear can be spotted only in very controlled, repetitive drifting. And even then it's just a tiny bit less power/speed to slide a given corner. Plus I think it takes at least ~10+ minutes of constant drifting to start to feel the pains of wear/thermal damage. With the car being nicely progressive about it until some moment when the blister buildup, from increased sliding with less grip, starts gaining momentum, signaling "thats the end of this set" :).

Online thou, it's a party pooper when stuff starts to get interesting :p So all the servers i've seen had it off.

13. Quffy

Quffy Alien

With AI for dragstrips, could AI for drifting happen in the future, including in modded tracks? Like a track day environment, but with AI cars drifting on the track and not racing.

If corner approaches -> start drifting
    If car very close to AI car -> start tandem drifting
    :cool:

14. Nao

Nao Alien

Yeah i see no problem with that... we would only need to open up Stefano's and Aris heads and switch the brains, piece of cake! (I would so love a feature like that :D)